AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my very first official HTPC. I've got most of the components down just fine. However, the one thing holding me back is a way to actually control Windows and run files etc. Currently I use Mediaplayer Classic or Elecard player to play video files, and I'm not sure if there's a perfect remote/keyboard/mouse hybrid that does the job here

Within a reasonable budget, what's a good way to control an HTPC from a sofa? Bear in mind I own a Logitech Harmony for XBOX360 remote already, though I'm not sure if I can do anything with it with regards to HTPC usage.

Any information appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah, and before I forget, anyone got any good recommendations for a region-free-able DVD drive/recorder? All the new ones don't seem to be firmware hackable.
I have a lot of R2 movies from the UK.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG /forum/post/0

I'm building my very first official HTPC. I've got most of the components down just fine. However, the one thing holding me back is a way to actually control Windows and run files etc. Currently I use Mediaplayer Classic or Elecard player to play video files, and I'm not sure if there's a perfect remote/keyboard/mouse hybrid that does the job here

Within a reasonable budget, what's a good way to control an HTPC from a sofa? Bear in mind I own a Logitech Harmony for XBOX360 remote already, though I'm not sure if I can do anything with it with regards to HTPC usage.

Any information appreciated!

Thanks.

Ok, sounds to me like you don't have any HTPC software running. I would highly recommend Mediaportal for an HTPC frontend if you are running XP (if you aren't there are several option available). also any oem windows media center remote will work with Media portal.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Personally, I'm not a fan of HT frontend software myself. I prefer to just use the best programs for each job. For me that amounts to:

Zoomplayer => DVDs

SageTV + MyHD => HD/DVR

iTunes => Music

To do this I use a quality universal remote (URC 200) and Girder Software.

It requires a little bit of imagination to setup everything to work fluidly, but the configuration capabilities are limitless.

-Suntan

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper /forum/post/0

Ok, sounds to me like you don't have any HTPC software running. I would highly recommend Mediaportal for an HTPC frontend if you are running XP (if you aren't there are several option available). also any oem windows media center remote will work with Media portal.

I have no idea about media centre frontends. I'm just using XP Media Centre, and was going to wing it from there.

I guess I need more help than I think!

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can use media center for your front end and wing it from there.

I do everything through media center some don't. To me I like the ease of not having to launch other applications.

I use the harmony 880 in the living room

and the harmony 890 in the bedroom to control xbox 360.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
well Windows Media Center IS technically a HTPC front end. and you can do everything from the MCE interface (watch videos, movies, dvds, even use it as a PVR)

If you want to tackle using MCE since you already have it, you can always get the MCE USB IR receiver and remote, works out of the box with no configuration.

http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_inf...emote-controls

but if you don't really plan on using MCE gui at all streamzap makes a nice out of the box control setup, and their software has almost every single media software built into it for controlling.

http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_inf...emote-controls

also your harmony remote can be programmed to control either setup.

- Josh

·
Registered
24 Posts
Streamzap remotes will work with Windows Media Player, as well as most all windows apps without needing a frontend. As stated earlier, having a front end like Mediaportal, Meedio, Xlobby, etc, is highly preferred, easier to use, and keeps everything nice and organized.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.