Toshiba HD-A2 HDMI

Comcast Motorlola DCT-6412 HDMI

Audio:

Yamaha R-V1105 receiver

JBL ND310 large front standing speakers for mains

JBL Venue SUB12 powered subwoofer

Bose 201 Series IV rears

JBL Studio Series Center

My goal is to replace the receiver, which I have really liked for a long time as it's the oldest piece of equipment in my setup and now that I have a bunch of LPCM compatible sources, i'd like to purchase the best bang for the buck receiver that will please me more than what I currently own as well as provide HDMI LPCM audio, I will probably ALWAYS be using a 5.1 configuration and never go to 6.1/7.1, I know there's a lot of Onkyo 605/705 vs. Yamaha 661 debates, but for me which is the winner? Maybe neither?

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
498 Posts
What's your budget? By the receivers you mentioned, safe to assume around $500? If memory serves, the Sony 910 has 3 HDMI inputs, but most AVRs in this price range only sport 2. I'm partial to my 605, but all of your equipment handles decoding the new audio formats internally, then sending via PCM, so... the fact that the 661 doesn't support decoding DTS MA or TrueHD isn't really a strike against it in your situation. To be honest, I really liked the 661, but I found such a good deal on the 605 (about $150 less than the 661), I had to go with my budget. In your case, I think the 661 would be a great choice, along with an HDMI switch.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$500 isn't neccesarily my budget, but I like getting the most for hte coin, none of these recievers have 4 hdmi eh... maybe i should keep waiting

·
Registered
597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy /forum/post/12943210

$500 isn't neccesarily my budget, but I like getting the most for hte coin, none of these recievers have 4 hdmi eh... maybe i should keep waiting

4 hdmi in start at just over $1k

I have the PS3.

PDP 6070HD.

I chose the Onkyo 875 (4 HDMI inputs) and glad I did. LPCM out of the PS3 comes out as Multichannel through the 875 and sounds terrific. The 805 will do the same less the REON video processor but with only 3 HDMI inputs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts