AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having troubles deciding.

I have reviewed the B&W 600 series, Paradigm Monitor and Performance series, JBL Northbridge E, Yamaha 515 series.

All of which sound about the same to my untrained ear. Perhaps its the source I dont know.

The yamaha 515 series are probably the only standout for me. Although not as affordable as the others.

I wont the most detailed speakers I can get in this price range. Am I missing any other brands? I dont care for music, its all HT use.

Is there no way to rank speakers for detailed mid and high sounds? If so what am I looking for? Are there any rankings on the net for such a measure?

· Registered
602 Posts
I think you might need to check out Klipsch speakers. There are a lot of user reviews and feedback about them. To people who prefer warm, laid-back speakers they are too bright, but for extreme detail and HT use, they should be on your list.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for that, I will check them out.

anything bright is a good thing for me, thats all I want, as detailed as possible on a budget.

so paradigm are not necessarily the most bright speakers in the budget range?

· Registered
602 Posts
From what I've read/heard, I'd put the Klipsch at the top of the brightness/detail list, and the Paradigm Monitor series second. Not sure about the Paradigm Studio series - I only heard them for a few minutes, also they are WAY more expensive.

· Registered
7,061 Posts
Well, I hate to bring this one up as it's already being discussed in two other threads right now (being too popular can get you beaten down here, i.e., Onix Rockets & co. :D ) but, the Ascend Acoustics 170's speaker is another one you should look at. They are a mail order-type speaker company. About $350 a pair, another $150 more if you want the custom paint finish (which isn't mentioned on the website). I haven't heard them myself, but will be sometime soon.

Probably the first two words commonly used to describe them are "budget" and "detailed". Plus, as they are generally considered to be more neutral than Klipsch, it would be a nice contrast comparison to see which kind of detailed sound you prefer.

I'm sure there are several other ones to consider as well. Perhaps a "warm" or "laid-back" speaker that also gives good detail?

www.ascendacoustics.com

· Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xcited1
Im having troubles deciding.

I have reviewed the B&W 600 series, Paradigm Monitor and Performance series, JBL Northbridge E, Yamaha 515 series.

All of which sound about the same to my untrained ear. Perhaps its the source I dont know.

The yamaha 515 series are probably the only standout for me. Although not as affordable as the others.

I wont the most detailed speakers I can get in this price range. Am I missing any other brands? I dont care for music, its all HT use.

Is there no way to rank speakers for detailed mid and high sounds? If so what am I looking for? Are there any rankings on the net for such a measure?
Sounds to me like you'd love Axioms .

The midrange and treble of the M3's or M22's is absolutely superb and has been compared very favorably by some high ranking audio reviewers as being comparable to a pair of speakers in the $2000 range.

M3's $275 USD

M22's $400 USD

Paired with a good sub these speakers work wonders.

· Registered
7,061 Posts
Axiom is another excellent suggestion. Given that these last two suggestions are strictly internet-direct, I would suggest you go to the respective forum for each of these two speaker companies and see if there is anyone in your area that might be willing to let you audition them (instead of accruing shipping costs for in home, 30 day evaluations).

Where are you btw? I HATE it when people don't put their locations in their profiles.. always seems to be the ones that it would be helpful to know their location never bother to put their locations in their profiles!!!

mini-rant over.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I like the atoms. Is there anything else of similar price I should consider to the atoms?

My setup so far will be

4x atoms (front and rears), 1 x c270 (center), 1 x c170 (rear), unsure on what sub.

· Registered
2,366 Posts
Take a listen to Monitor Audio Bronze series- detailed but not too bright.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im going to stick with 5.1 now and put the money into a better center and maybe fronts. How would this setup go?

Fronts=Studio20's Center= cc370 Rears=Atoms

Monitor Bronze are awesome, they are a lot warmer but have detail as well which was cool. I like them, but only issue is my Pioneer receiver says to use only 8ohm speakers, the monitors are 6. Is that an issue?

· Registered
2,366 Posts
I don't think your Pioneer will have any problem driving MA's. Eventhough most speakers specify nominal impeadence at 8 ohms, they can go down in impeadence during actual listening.

· Registered
840 Posts
The CC-370 is not a good match with the studio 20's in the front. You should look into getting the studio CC (I think its the 470)...or possibly getting something in the monitor line to match up with the 370. Just my opinion though...but the studio line and the monitor line sound different...especially if your mix matching in the front. Using Atoms for rears with the studio line wouldn't be a big issue.....but for the front soundstage I'd match them up driver for driver if possible.

· Registered
2,089 Posts
Check out Ascend Acoustics if you want Studio 20 sound at a less than Mini-Monitor price.

· Registered
840 Posts
I agree with Tex-amp.....I have not heard the Ascends but I have read from multiple sources that they are better than the Studio 20's...and a MUCH better price.

My Swan 2.1's are also better than Studio 20's...no doubt about it...they image better and have a much smoother high end...plus they look VERY nice. All for around $300 bucks, for me it was a no brainer to get them over the Studio 20's.

· Registered
2,089 Posts
Cooper-

I'm in Houston where are you?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.