AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a detailed *Step* by *Step* how-to document on changing out ECP 4100 HVPS ???

Proper safety measures? (i.e. don't touch wire x as it will kill you, etc)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just replaced mine and it wasn't that difficult. Off course disconnect the power before anything else. These were the steps I did:

- remove all sides panels (at least front and right standing in front of PJ)

- remove top cover

Before you remove an leads write down exactly where they were or even better take lots of pictures with a digital camera!!

- disconnect the groundings under the power entry module

- disconnect M24-P1 M24-P2 from HVPS I also had an extra ground lead from the 9-pin connector to the HVPS that I needed to remove

- disconnect black focus lead from Bias/focus board follow the wire to the Bias/focus board the one when looking from above between green and blue tube)

- disconnect red anode lead a splitter (located between red and green tube)

- disconnect M14-P2 M14-P3 M14-P4 from LVPS

- now gently pull the whole PS package an inch or two out of the PJ and look behind it. There are a cable pack going behind it to the Power Entry module that you need to disconnect (fan and two more) before it can be pulled out completely

Now it's quite easy to remove the HVPS and replace with a new one.

I had a Spellman before but could only get hold of a Keltron. The Keltron was from an ECP-4000 and the focus and anode leads was much shorter so I had to mount the HVPS with the connectors toward the Power Entry module instead. This way I could have the anode going on the right side to the splitter and the focus lead to the left to the bias board. I couldnät connect them until I had pushed the slide-out rack half way into the PJ again.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Henrik

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I looked on www.ecpresource.com and could not find any information like this. I also looked into the service and owners guides (PDF on the above site) and it only contained a block diagram

I am now going to attempt to swap out my (blown) HVPS with a (belived to be at least ) good HVPS from another 4100.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks for your most excellent directions but I have a few (rather dumb) questions:

1. I found M24-P2 (Who could miss that big cable above the yellow "high voltage" sticker), but where is M24-P1???

2. What exactly do you mean by "disconnect black focus lead from bias/focus board", Should I unscrew it, way way down bottom on the metal frame? or should I unhook it from the focus board itself? If the latter, how did you reach way down their between the guns?

3. And what do you mean by "disconnect red anode lead a splitter (located between red and green tube)" ? Do you mean unscrew this unit from the frame? or Simply pull out the bottom red wire going to the hvps?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
1. M24-P1 is the other lead going round the HVPS to the LVPS. Maybe you can wait to disconnect it until you have removed the whole slide-out rack.

2. Unhook from the bias board. It's a bit tight there but I managed to pull it down from the board. You can off course remove the bias/focus board too but that I thought was even more tricky.

3. Pull the red wire at the splitter end.

Also you probably need to change the fuses in the Power entry module. Both my 3.15A was fried.

Hope this helped!

Henrik

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Henrik,

I have disconnected all but the M24-P1.

I know this may seem dumb but I don't want to go removing the wrong things.

Now, are their any screws I need to remove before taking out the supply and (please be detailed) where are they at?

Which way would the HVPS slide out? Toward the front (Near the lenses) of the PJ? To the right?

Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Regarding the M24-P1, it can also be labeled P2 but don't worry about that. Instead it's the 3-wire lead coming out next to the 9-pin connector (M24-P2). This goes to the Power Entry module and I think it's better to wait and disconnect that one when you have pulled out the slide-ut rack.

(see attached picture of my old HVPS)

So pull out the slide-out rack gently so you don't harm any wires around it. You will need to remove 2 screws at the top right and left on the slide-out rack to be able to slide it out.

When the slide-out rack is out you will see 4 screws on the top of it holding the HVPS i place. Remove them and if I remember correctly you can now lift the HVPS up, out of the slide-out rack. Now you will also see where the second 3-lead wire is attached and be able to remove it.

Hope this helped! (I'll send a PM to you too).

Henrik

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW For those interested, I am taking photo's with my digital camera and I have contacted the owner/operator of ecpresource.com and he has agreed to put up my ECP 4xxxx HVPS Swap how to w/ photos.

I will post a direct link to this thread upon completion of that page.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news, I removed the HVPS from the other ECP 4100.

My friend was given this projector and it did not work when he got it.

While I was pulling out the HVPS, I decided to look at the PEM (power entry module). I did this because the PJ did not have any green LEDS light when I hooked it up to the wall socket (before taking it apart).

Well turns out the PEM has a blown fuse. It is a 1/8 amp fuse with 1/4 inch diameter. I called my local radio shack store and called the 1800 number in the radio shack book and they did not have such a fuse. Also the fuse appears to have a resistor inside of it.

My thoughts are:

1. Could this little fuse be the only thing stopping this otherwise fine looking 4100 from working?

2. Why not replace the fuse and see if the PJ fires up before I take my PJ apart to swap the HVPS (I am not 100% sure that the HVPS in my friends PJ even works) ?

3. My friend does not want his PJ and has offered to sell it to me (whole thing) for 300$ (what a deal!). So I am thinking if I can replace the fuse and get his PJ working then I could buy a HVPS from Curt and have 2 PJ.

Then I could either setup a 2 PJ rack or sell one of the PJ or even keep the other PJ for spare parts.

So, ANYONE know where I can get the 1/8 AMP 1/4 Inch fuse for the ECP 4100 Power Entry Module? Are their any other fuses I should check?

Also, I have taken *many* digital pictures of *everything* and I am currently in the process of using photoshop to add arrows and circles so that I can make the "Idiot's guide to removing HVPS from ECP 4100". I will post the URL when it is up.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by colemab
So, ANYONE know where I can get the 1/8 AMP 1/4 Inch fuse for the ECP 4100 Power Entry Module?
This appears to be a 3AG size fuse. It appears to have a resistor in it because it's a "slow blow" type.
Quote:
(from the ECP4100 service document)

F1

27-000005-45P

1/8A, 250V, slow blow fuse

SAFETY COMPONENT
Looks like this one might fit:
http://www.mouser.com//index.cfm?han...oductid=267331

-Dan

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dan,

Thank you for your excellent advice. I will be ordering a couple of fuses as soon as I purchase another HVPS for ECP 4100 (I have already located another).

Thats right, ANOTHER ONE! Thats because today I finish swapping my broke one and I AM WATCHING A DVD via my htpc and my ecp 4100.

So now for a $1.47 fuse, a ~400$ HVPS, I wonder if I can fix the other 4100 (that i got at the BARGIN rate of 300$).

WHen I took it apart everything appeared fine and when plugged up it did not have any lights, so I checked the PEM and sure enough blown fuse.

It would be a mircale if only the fuse was preventing this (working but not cosmetic) unit from working.

Henrik: Thanks for all of your help. With it I have now got many images and tips to put into the site. I hope to work on that site this weekend. Again, I will post the url to this thread.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm glad I could help :)

Today I'll replace my Dallas chip and then I hope to continue my investigation in the other thread. I'll take some pictures too even thou it's a very simple procedure.

Henrik

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.