AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,

I am building a huge house and the house will have 5-10 TV's. I am thinking of using the concept of a hotel in which they have a centralized system and all the tv's can access that system, however in a HD way. Essentially, in one room of the house I will have my dvd player, my cloud storage etc. So if I am in any-room I should b able to access the photos, movies, or videos that are in that centralized system. If you can please tell me how this is possible and what I need to do.

Thanks,
Gurnoor Kahlon

·
Registered
383 Posts
Good Afternoon,

I am building a huge house and the house will have 5-10 TV's. I am thinking of using the concept of a hotel in which they have a centralized system and all the tv's can access that system, however in a HD way. Essentially, in one room of the house I will have my dvd player, my cloud storage etc. So if I am in any-room I should b able to access the photos, movies, or videos that are in that centralized system. If you can please tell me how this is possible and what I need to do.

Thanks,
Gurnoor Kahlon
If you are truly building a huge home, then you need to work with an expert to plan the wiring infrastructure, which is the key to such a system. Essentially you need cable for distribution from the head-end (equipment location) to each room. You will need to consider if each zone will be using external speakers, or simply TV audio. Will any zones include surround sound, or simply 2-channel audio? How do you intend to control the equipment at the head-end from the TV locations?

Once you know the answers to those questions you will be able to chose your equipment. Probably an 8x8 or greater HDBaseT Matrix, an audio matrix if distributing audio as well, and some sort of control system to communicate to the equipment at both ends, source and display.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am building a 17,000 sq house, but I just needed a brief description on how it will work like what I need for surround sound, what I need for tv audio. What if some are surround sound others tv? If you can maybe send a link or provide a really detailed understanding?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are truly building a huge home, then you need to work with an expert to plan the wiring infrastructure, which is the key to such a system. Essentially you need cable for distribution from the head-end (equipment location) to each room. You will need to consider if each zone will be using external speakers, or simply TV audio. Will any zones include surround sound, or simply 2-channel audio? How do you intend to control the equipment at the head-end from the TV locations?

Once you know the answers to those questions you will be able to chose your equipment. Probably an 8x8 or greater HDBaseT Matrix, an audio matrix if distributing audio as well, and some sort of control system to communicate to the equipment at both ends, source and display.
I am building a 17,000 sq house, but I just needed a brief description on how it will work like what I need for surround sound, what I need for tv audio. What if some are surround sound others tv? If you can maybe send a link or provide a really detailed understanding?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Read up on HDBaseT on how to distribute video signals and HDMI least common denominator on problems that may come with it. One caveat, HDMI audio return channel will most likely not work with any video matrixing product.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Read up on HDBaseT on how to distribute video signals and HDMI least common denominator on problems that may come with it. One caveat, HDMI audio return channel will most likely not work with any video matrixing product.
Im fairly new to this distrubution and have a good undestanding of wiring but not of the procedure. i used a hgtv link but I need something with greater detail something that can let me have a full understanding of the whole process

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The more important part is the wiring part. You can decide on the underlying distribution protocol/technology later as long is the wiring is there. Over long distance, the only viable approach is to transmit HDMI signal over Category cable. There are two major technology there - HDBaseT or HDMI over Cat cable. Go to www.monoprice.com and read up on the manuals for each type of equipment to understand how they work. For video part, you should wire at least three Cat 6 drops and two RG 6 drops from the distribution center to each TV location.

The audio part is more tricky as above poster said. You have to decide before drywalls are up where you want surround sound and whether audio through TV is sufficient. If you want surround sound then you will have to decide on the format (5.1, 5.2, 7.1, 7.2, Dolby Atmos, etc) and run speaker wires with appropriate gauges from the distribution center to the speaker locations (if you don't want an AV receiver at the TV location).

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
There are two major technology there - HDBaseT or HDMI over Cat cable.
I would agree to some extent, but there are many others that would work well - AVB (AVnu), Crestron DM, Just Add Power, IPBaseT.

If an integrator brings something else to the table, it shouldn't be dismissed.

I think the OP should research a way to find a good integrator/installer, in addition to researching the technologies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where is this home?
Any broadcast source?
At 17k ft an integrator is going to be essential.
Are you doing your own plumbing power and lighting?
The house is in Ontario specifically Brampton. Its a 17,000 sq house and a builder is building so everyone is being hired even wiring. Just the final connection and set-up I want to do as I am already sepnding $3m on the house.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You should probably consider getting a professional integrator involved...no one online is going to be able to give you a detailed and accurate description of what you need in a home of that size.

I know different people have different priorities, but I just finished an 11,000 sq. ft. home with 19 TVs and more on the way once the pool area is completed. My point is you need to at least wire for much more than 5-10 TVs.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The house is in Ontario specifically Brampton. Its a 17,000 sq house and a builder is building so everyone is being hired even wiring. Just the final connection and set-up I want to do as I am already sepnding $3m on the house.
You should really be getting an integrator involved for more than just t.v. distribution.

Central control or potentially panelized lighting.

HVAC, security, pool, hot tub, garage doors, whole home audio.

All should pull together into one Control4 type solution.

In a home this size it is necessary and likely a long term cost saving as unnecessary heat and light and cool and devices are off when not needed.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I know the AV piece seems easy, but this is poor thinking. Just the equipment install, setup and programming could take 2-4 weeks on a job this size. I am assuming that you would have 2-3 42u racks full of equipment. Ideally with fixed racks, ladder racking, a staging area for your service loop, etc.

If you were building a 3500 sqft house and wanted a 4x4 matrix to distrubute video that is one thing. But to take on the install portion of a $100k+ AV install to save a few bucks is misguided at best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts