AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at two relativly cheap (>$200) subs to go with some Michaura m55 bookshelves - the Audiosource sw15" (basicaly a 2x2x2' cube) and the Yamaha YST sw300 (twelve inch cone). The room the sub will be in is largish, but I don't want to overpower the bookshelves. Is this not really an issue as long as the sub volume is controlled? I just wondered if there was a way to get more detail for the money given that one of the main selling points for both of these is their movie effects prowess, while I'm using them for music. Recs are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to be a little more specific, would the 12" audiosource (with a smaller amp too) potentially be a better choice?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I would stay away from Audio Source. Specially the SW15. I had several many years ago and each one had a problem. You could hear the radio from the sub. Plug the sub into the wall even no speaker cable hooked up, but just the power in the wall and you heard radio through the 15" woofer. The sub was good I think for the money, $180 at Costco. However it had a terrible shielding problem or something. I bought it from Costco and took it back and exchanged it 3 times and each one had the same issue. My infinity BU-2 sub doesn't have this problem and neither did my M&K MX-350 or any other sub or speaker I've had.

If you get the sub and it never gives you a problem, great. It's a good sub for the money. Well, for what Costco was selling it for anyway.

·
Banned
172 Posts
I still think 2 YST-SW305 would be a better choice. Each one comes with 2 eight inch woofers. With a pair, you have 4 eight inch woofers.

Plus, this model is tall and slim, you can forgo the speaker stands with these, just put your bookshelf on top of the subwoofer, and you have a floor stander, that beats any unpowered floorstander.

I'm going to get another one one of these days.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i'm using the audiosource sw-15 without the above mentioned problem...

i've placed it all around my living room without any sort of extraneous sounds coming from it

i've placed vibration damper sheets along the insides as well as filled it with a few lbs of polyfill along with srapy dampener for the missed areas, and dayton black chrome speaker spikes

i think its an amazing sub for the money in home theater

but for music something like the 10" infinity or the energy s8.2 might be worth looking at instead for the 'faster' 'punchier' bass

its not bad per-se for music, but it could be better.

the people at www.audioreview.com also seem to enjoy their sw-15's

i'm going to try to put a adire tempest or a dayton dvc into it for my next stereo upgrade

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.