AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
I have no problem with AC-3, aka Dolby Digital. Most likely your old TV doesn't accept AC-3 via HDMI input. This can be confirmed in advanced audio settings screen. You will see what audio formats are supported by your connected device.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
When did you guys order the GTV, did anyone order from Google Store? I placed my order when it launched and it has yet to ship but it also doesnt show cancelled. I got the bundle with Netflix as it works out much cheaper.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
When did you guys order the GTV, did anyone order from Google Store? I placed my order when it launched and it has yet to ship but it also doesnt show cancelled. I got the bundle with Netflix as it works out much cheaper.
I ordered mine on Launch Day from the Google Store that Tuesday. I received it from Fed Ex Saturday Afternoon.

Sent from my OnePlus 8 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I still think this device could've been so much better if Google had spent some time tweaking the firmware.
The SoC in this is S905D3 which is a variant of the well known S905X3. There are many Chinese brand Android tv boxes with S905X3 for $40-60 which come with a remote, usb ports, ethernet and ~4GB Ram, 32GB emmc. Compare that with GTV 2GB ram, 4GB storage out of which only 2 is usable.

With the chinese boxes, you can install CoreElec, and you have a 100% capable media box that will play any format under the sun, inc lossless audio, 4K HDR etc, better than the Shield. What they lack is Widevine L1 and Netflix certification, which is purely because Google/Netflix dont want to certify them. Thus they don't support streaming services at full resolution.

Combine the 2 and you have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
They had more than a year to tweak it as it was originally slated to release last holiday season. Obviously,lossless audio support is not in Google's mind for this box.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
They had more than a year to tweak it as it was originally slated to release last holiday season. Obviously,lossless audio support is not in Google's mind for this box.

Didn't know that! So effectively its 1 year old hardware. And its not just Google no one else seems to care. e.g. Mi Box cpu also supports lossless audio, again its disabled in firmware, otherwise it'd be just as capable as the Shield.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
Original MiBox 3 does support TrueHD. I suspect there is a cost in the form of royalty involved with each lossless format support.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Just remember that back in 2015 the Nvidia Shield was pretty Stunted as well. Lossless Support (including Atmos and Dts-X) from both Plex and Kodi came later summer to the fall of 2015.

HDR10 was introduced in 2017.

Dolby Atmos for Amazon Prime came about last year. At one time Vudu was the only streaming app to support Dolby Atmos.

Dolby Vision was introduced last year on the 2019 Shields. Atmos support for Netflix was introduced on the 2019 Shields as well.

I'm not going to call this device a disappointment. Its not meant to replace a Shield or Apple TV4k. Those are what I call "Power User" devices. This device has a different target audience, and I've been seeing nothing but positive reviews for it. If you're coming from a Nexus Player, or an older Roku or Fire Stick, then add this new Chromecast to the list of potential purchases. If you're just looking to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc etc., then here's an alternative.

If you're wanting to stream your local backups with Lossless Audio, and the proper refresh rate, look elsewhere. I'd say give it a few months to see what the devs at Kodi and Plex can do, as with the case with the Nvidia Shield.

The real disappointment will be if Google decides to abandon this new Chromecast.

Sent from my OnePlus 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: NTTD and HDMI Guy

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am sure I am just missing it... but where is the setting to select when the screen saver (Ambient Mode) comes on?
Thank you.

Matt

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
This is Google's answer to FireStick and esp FireStick4K (which everyone has forgotten about as its 2yrs old now but remains the most capable) - streaming dongle that has a remote.

People with local media, NAS servers, UHD rips etc are a 0.0001% minority and a dying breed that no ones gives a damn about. Kodi is dying.

The only reason the Shield even exists is its an anomaly - it was intended as a client for Nvidia's Geforce gaming service and thats where they intended to make money - it turns out the cpu/gpu was 5yrs ahead of its time and still works fine. During this time they tinkered with ports/case etc and the firmware - the 2019 model is identical to the original except for software tweaks.

Most people want a cheap box to watch the multiple streaming services they pay for. In fact most people can do this via any tv in the last 5 years.

The goal is to sell people a new dongle every few years and market it by adding extra features.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Bought it from the Google Store on launch day (Sept. 30); received it on Oct. 2, though the est. shipping time was closer to a week. I didn't do the NF bundle and got vanilla white. Maybe you got one of the cool colors and they ran out?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Bought it from the Google Store on launch day (Sept. 30); received it on Oct. 2, though the est. shipping time was closer to a week. I didn't do the NF bundle and got vanilla white. Maybe you got one of the cool colors and they ran out?
I did get one of the colors, but only because that was the only one in stock. Whats strange is my order doesn't show up cancelled. I may need to contact support.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Are you sure the CC is not AC3 compatible, or is it possible your Samsung Plasma is not, and reporting that to the CC via EDID, which then reports to the Plex Server that it is not? I can see it going either way, honestly.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I did get one of the colors, but only because that was the only one in stock. Whats strange is my order doesn't show up cancelled. I may need to contact support.
I also bought mine on launch day (White) with the NF bundle and it hasn't shipped yet, the estimated delivery is October 13/14.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Fox Sports app is not supporting 4k HDR version. Checked Saturday during Texas-Oklahoma game and last night during NLCS. Hopefully, this gets added.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I also bought mine on launch day (White) with the NF bundle and it hasn't shipped yet, the estimated delivery is October 13/14.
Mine just shipped. So it seems the NF bundles shipped later and are in more demand. If I add one now delivery date is end of Nov!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Has anyone spent any time determining whether CCGTV up-scaling and HDR is good or bad? For my 2016 LG UH 4K/HDR TV, I don't get any HDR from any steaming apps so I currently have the Match HDR Content setting on. Can't tell if I like it for non-HDR sources like YouTube videos. And am I correct that thee CCGTV is upscaling all content to 4K or is it passing through 1080P, etc to TV?

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
Has anyone spent any time determining whether CCGTV up-scaling and HDR is good or bad? For my 2016 LG UH 4K/HDR TV, I don't get any HDR from any steaming apps so I currently have the Match HDR Content setting on. Can't tell if I like it for non-HDR sources like YouTube videos. And am I correct that thee CCGTV is upscaling all content to 4K or is it passing through 1080P, etc to TV?
HDR is just a passthrough, not processed by the CCGTV. What you should set is Match content dynamic range to ON. This way, HDR will automatically be engaged whenever HDR video is encountered. And YouTube does have HDR content as well.

All Android TV devices (and almost all streaming devices) output a fixed resolution, whatever resolution you set at.

·
Registered
363 Posts
HDR is just a passthrough, not processed by the CCGTV. What you should set is Match content dynamic range to ON. This way, HDR will automatically be engaged whenever HDR video is encountered. And YouTube does have HDR content as well.

All Android TV devices (and almost all streaming devices) output a fixed resolution, whatever resolution you set at.
Right, but for my 2016 LG 4K/HDR TV, I don't get any HDR pass-through from Netflix or other streaming apps. But I can disable Match Content and get HDR (Dolby Vision? HDR10?) from the up-converted 4K output of CCGTV. So just wondering if anyone has done any testing to determine whether this $50 device is any good at it.

501 - 520 of 633 Posts