AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
You should get HDR from all services. Why bother with fake HDR?
Limitation of my 2016 LG UHDTV and/or it's HDMI ports. I can only get DD via CCGTV from HBOMax (not Netflix or Prime), presumably b/c it's std DD and not DD+. But HBOMax is still 1080P and no HDR.

I do get DD from the same 3 internal apps. I get HDR from internal app for Prime and Disney+, but not Netflix.

I do get DD from all CCGTV apps if I plug it into soundbar directly, but my current soundbar doesn't pass 4K/HDR through. So I think my best option short of replacing TV is new soundbar w/4K passthrough but then either no HDR from Netflix or I let CCGTV upscale to HDR.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Yea HBO Max is still Dolby Digital.

Sent from my OnePlus 8 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
This is Google's answer to FireStick and esp FireStick4K (which everyone has forgotten about as its 2yrs old now but remains the most capable) - streaming dongle that has a remote.

Most people want a cheap box to watch the multiple streaming services they pay for. In fact most people can do this via any tv in the last 5 years.

The goal is to sell people a new dongle every few years and market it by adding extra features.
Our 5 y.o. "Smart TV" Panny was obsolete in "smartness" in 3 years. We got a Roku about that same time. Except for missing HBO MAX - has stayed current.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Limitation of my 2016 LG UHDTV and/or it's HDMI ports. I can only get DD via CCGTV from HBOMax (not Netflix or Prime), presumably b/c it's std DD and not DD+. But HBOMax is still 1080P and no HDR.

I do get DD from the same 3 internal apps. I get HDR from internal app for Prime and Disney+, but not Netflix.

I do get DD from all CCGTV apps if I plug it into soundbar directly, but my current soundbar doesn't pass 4K/HDR through. So I think my best option short of replacing TV is new soundbar w/4K passthrough but then either no HDR from Netflix or I let CCGTV upscale to HDR.
Forced HDR always looks worse than just plain SDR on any device, even the much more expensive ATV 4k or Shield. I would not use any fake HDR ever. I don't know what's the relationship between no DD+ and HDR with your setup. As long as you can output 4K and allow HDR, you should get HDR from the services even if you don't get 5.1 audio.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
When did you guys order the GTV, did anyone order from Google Store? I placed my order when it launched and it has yet to ship but it also doesnt show cancelled. I got the bundle with Netflix as it works out much cheaper.
just got my email shipped today and will get it by 14th or 15th.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Technology has gotten out of hand. When Avsforum members who are by definition far more tech savvy have so many questions and issues what hope does the average person have? No wonder youtube is full of idiots with unveiling and unboxing and reviews half of which are flat wrong and the rest have no useful info. And so many people make their decisions based on a youtube video from a total stranger who's primary goal is to get ad revenue, its amazing.

How hard can it be to agree on basic standards and implement them correctly across all devices in the chain??

·
Registered
18,583 Posts
Yea HBO Max is still Dolby Digital.

But it’s not tho- when I Airplay it from my iPad to my Vizio its DD+, but when I cast it it’s DD standard, so the streams are definitely encoded in DD+. It was DD+ through the app and casted on the hbo apps up until approx a year ago. HBO just doesn’t seem to care enough to fix it.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I get only Dolby Digital on my Shield, CC, and Built-in app on my TV.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
It would be interesting to do a poll after a couple of months of this being out to see which streaming device people are primarily using.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Currently my only real gripe is the fact that the Live channels App is not part of the list of installed apps that you can immediately access from the App section on the main screen. I can access the HD Home run app from the app tray, but I don't like this app's interface.

I have to go into Settings, Apps, and choose Live Channels from there.

Other than that, worts and all, for me this is a solid replacement for my Nexus Player, and it's just as fast as my Shield.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Reactions: ynnek63

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
We've subscribed to YTTV for 3 years. Used the original CC to stream to TV. Could give verbal commands via Google Home unit. A real pain having to preface each command by "hey,Google". Switched to using Roku when it became available.
Haven't yet seen any YTTV users post in this thread.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I broke down and hooked up my CC+GTV for a test. The teased/leaked Nest Hello pop-up notifications are nowhere to be seen... not in function, nor mentioned anywhere in settings either on the device or in the Google Home app. I know they were never officially revealed, so maybe they're coming with Android 11, but this was a big hope for me (especially with my theater being on the 3rd floor). As it stands, my Shield Pro '17 running the GTV launcher is still vastly superior, even if you completely discount HDA passthrough and only consider basic app functionality. I'd like Atmos from Netflix, but I won't give up Vudu 4K/Atmos to get it. Until Vudu 4K/Atmos and D+ Atmos are fixed, the CC+GTV is incomplete, even as a basic streaming device.

The GTV launcher, however, I'm thoroughly enjoying. I've spent a good bit of time marking recommendations Watched/(y)/(n) and the subsequent recommendations continue to get better and better. The cross-platform Watchlist is a real game-changer. As intended, I spend less time in the individual apps' UIs seeking out content. If Vudu were added to the Library function, I would be that much happier.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
How is Amazon Prime on the GTV? Ive found Prime works best on Amazon devices, the UI shown on others is not the same, it doesnt have the full list of my Prime Channels etc.

Right now on my FireTv stick I can say - play Stranger Things and it knows to open it from Netflix. Doing a search shows results from all video services.

how does GTV compare? can I say 'play Bosch' and it knows its on Prime. or 'play Bosch on prime' ?

Google Assistant is few light years ahead of Amazon/Siri so I expect it to be a lot smarter and know a lot more. How is it?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
For me, Amazon Prime on the CC is no different than on my Nvidia Shield. Atmos, DD+, HDR10 all work (when times are good).

But then there are the times when you're dealing with something like Atmos or HDR not working, then 3 days later, it's back to working

521 - 540 of 572 Posts