AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
LG CX 48, Vizio OLED55-H1, nVidia Shield TV, Google TV, nVidia RTX 2070S FE
381 Posts
Can anyone help me? I am using Google TV Chromecast with a Vizio OLED and Vizio Elevate soundbar. I have the device connected to the TV and an HDMI cable connecting the two eARC ports. I have Google TV set to use auto audio formats and all three Dolby formats are selected. However, I get no sound with any Dolby content.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Does the CCGTV need to be plugged into an AC outlet or can it be powered via a 5V USB port?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I've seen some videos where the CC is connected to a battery pack/USB Hub. The Hub is then plugged into a Wall. These Hubs also have SD/MicroSD Card slots, and USB Slots as well.

As a result, you're now able to navigate for content on those cards on your Chromecast.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Does the CCGTV need to be plugged into an AC outlet or can it be powered via a 5V USB port?
If the USB port can supply 1.5A current, it will work. The stock AC adapter is 5v 1.5A. Please note, standard USB port is 5v 500ma. Most TVs will have a USB port that labeled 5v 1A. These are not enough to power the CCGTV, or at least not consistently enough. In my test, the box consumes slightly over 5 watts.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Can anyone help me? I am using Google TV Chromecast with a Vizio OLED and Vizio Elevate soundbar. I have the device connected to the TV and an HDMI cable connecting the two eARC ports. I have Google TV set to use auto audio formats and all three Dolby formats are selected. However, I get no sound with any Dolby content.
You need to make sure your TV is setup to use external speakers (sound bar) via (e)ARC. That is, did you ever hear any sound from TV to the soundbar? Once that is setup, it will be automatic. You just need to select the CCGTV HDMI input on your TV.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If the USB port can supply 1.5A current, it will work. The stock AC adapter is 5v 1.5A. Please note, standard USB port is 5v 500ma. Most TVs will have a USB port that labeled 5v 1A. These are not enough to power the CCGTV, or at least not consistently enough. In my test, the box consumes slightly over 5 watts.
Thanks for posting useful info!

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
In fact, the CCGTV is nice enough to tell you, when booting up, with a whole screen drawing when it detects the USB port does not supply enough juice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You need to make sure your TV is setup to use external speakers (sound bar) via (e)ARC. That is, did you ever hear any sound from TV to the soundbar? Once that is setup, it will be automatic. You just need to select the CCGTV HDMI input on your TV.
I am able to get Dolby Audio sound from nVidia Shield and the built in apps. But when I try to use Dolby Audio in Google TV the soundbar only received MAT audio and no sound.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The USB port on my TV is labeled 2A and it isn't enough to power the Google TV.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
I am able to get Dolby Audio sound from nVidia Shield and the built in apps. But when I try to use Dolby Audio in Google TV the soundbar only received MAT audio and no sound.
Sheild has a feature called Dolby Processing which is on by default. This helps to convert DD+ audio found in almost all streaming services into regular DD. This box does not have that capability.

If there anything in your chain of devices that does not explicitly support DD+, or need to turned on in TV settings?

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
The USB port on my TV is labeled 2A and it isn't enough to power the Google TV.
That would be crazy unless it is mislabled (Are you sure it is not labeled as USB 2.0 like my Vizio did) or you have to power a hub? I'm actually powered mine with a USB-C hub via a 3rd party cell phone charger (which probaly in 1.5 ro 2A range) just fine.

On my Vizio TV, it only has one USB port and it is labeled as USB 2.0. Can't power the CCGTV.
On my Samsung TV, it has two USB ports, one labeled as 500mA, one labeled as 1A. Neither would work.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
In that case, I am probably SOL. I was thinking of plugging my newly arrived CCGTV into the HDMI input on the back of my Oppo UDP-203 and using one of the USB 3.0 ports on its back panel for power. But those ports are only rated at 1000mA so I will probably have to rely on the AC adapter plug.

In fact, the CCGTV is nice enough to tell you, when booting up, with a whole screen drawing when it detects the USB port does not supply enough juice.
Great to know. In that case, I can simply try it out and see what the device reports. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
I broke down and hooked up my CC+GTV for a test. The teased/leaked Nest Hello pop-up notifications are nowhere to be seen... not in function, nor mentioned anywhere in settings either on the device or in the Google Home app. I know they were never officially revealed, so maybe they're coming with Android 11, but this was a big hope for me (especially with my theater being on the 3rd floor).
Just installed my Nest Hello todday. As expected, the door bell anouncement doesn't popup on CCGTV. I really hope they will get it integrated ASAP. However, in the mean time. you can talk to the remote to ask Google Assistent to stream the video over to your TV. That works with any Android TV devices.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Just installed my Nest Hello todday. As expected, the door bell anouncement doesn't popup on CCGTV. I really hope they will get it integrated ASAP. However, in the mean time. you can talk to the remote to ask Google Assistent to stream the video over to your TV. That works with any Android TV devices.
I swear, this was probably my most anticipated feature of this device... really hoping they get it added ASAP as well.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
The NEST group still kind of like outsiders to Google. Many of the NEST integration into Google eco system happen so slowly. IIRC, only a year or so ago, they finally moved to use Google account for NEST app instead of separate Nest account.

Right now, doorbell announcement occurs on all Google Home devices at the same time. I have 3 Google Home devices including one with the screen. If it is going to be announced over every single CCGTV as well, I can see that will be quite annoying for me.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The NEST group still kind of like outsiders to Google. Many of the NEST integration into Google eco system happen so slowly. IIRC, only a year or so ago, they finally moved to use Google account for NEST app instead of separate Nest account.

Right now, doorbell announcement occurs on all Google Home devices at the same time. I have 3 Google Home devices including one with the screen. If it is going to be announced over every single CCGTV as well, I can see that will be quite annoying for me.
I assume that maybe you will be able to send announcement to either a specific speaker, or screen. We have 8 speakers connected by either the now discontinued Chromecast Audio (CCA) device, or Google Home or Mini devices. We can play music to 1 speaker or a defined group of speakers.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
No, for the announcement (when someone ring the door bell), there is only on or off. You don't get to choose which device to announce.

You can turn on anncounement today in Nest app and it will annouce through all your Google Home devices :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #559
With the chinese boxes, you can install CoreElec, and you have a 100% capable media box that will play any format under the sun, inc lossless audio, 4K HDR etc, better than the Shield.
What are some examples of these Chinese boxes? Could you name some or link to them? I'd be interested in getting a Kodi box that outperforms shield.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
What are some examples of these Chinese boxes? Could you name some or link to them? I'd be interested in getting a Kodi box that outperforms shield.
I'll try to give some details. If its too technical in the end I'll give some links.

There are 2 main cpu's you want to consider - AMLogic S905X3 and S922X. They both have the same decoding capabilities when running CoreElec, but the S922X is faster. Depending on your use case, you may not need the faster one, plenty of people are more than happy with a cheaper box.

The one common thing with Chinese made cheap Android tv boxes is that they are not certified for Widevine L1 or Netflix - what this means is that they will not support Netflix/Prime in HD/4K. For the use case here, running Kodi to play files from local server, it doesn't matter. What you will do is boot into CoreElec directly.

The other thing to remember is the quality control and quality of components can change a lot - there are tons of these boxes and hard to tell.

The most supported option by official CoreElec is the Odroid C4/N2. Odroid is a hobbyist single board computer like the Raspberry Pi.

The Odroid C4 is the cheaper S905X3

The Odroid N2 is the S99X

But both are out of stock now.

Odroid is sold as a board to which you have to add memory, case, modules etc and the cost adds up. Chinese Android boxes bundle all this but often have worse cooling which may or may not matter depending on who makes it. Look on CoreElec forums for well supported boxes such as Beelink, X96 etc.

Where to buy - sites like Aliexpress, geekbuying, ebay will ship from China. There are often sellers shipping from US as well and from Amazon.

S905X3

S922X

541 - 560 of 572 Posts