AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 739 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the follow-ups.

Yes I'm looking for a streamer that forces SDR, even when its fed an HDR signal by Netflix, Disney+ etc.

It looks like Nvidia Shield is they way to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can you force the device to always output Dolby Digital? So that it takes a Netflix DD+ Stream and outputs it as a DD? Like you can with ATV and FireTV and even the newer Shields?

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Just noticed today that Dolby Vision is available on Jack Ryan in Prime Video. Disney+ still missing DV.
Yes, I've gotten Dolby Vision from both Netflix and Prime Video from the beginning (i.e., three weeks of usage) on my CCGTV. Although, curiously, I noticed last night that Netflix had lost DV. But a reboot restored it. In retrospect, it was probably just an app issue and I could have just exited Netflix and relaunched it for a resolution.

Also, I corresponded this week with Google Support about the periodic loss of internet connection that I had posted about earlier. It is a known issue and I was told that the engineers are working on it; I also submitted detailed background via the Google Home mobile app feedback (N.B.: the feedback option on the CCGTV is not currently operational).

On the whole, I can't say that I am particularly surprised that a newly fielded device has some bugs to work out, and I am still hopeful that the CCGTV will become my go-to streamer. Otherwise, this is easily the very best $6.00 media streaming device I have ever owned. 😁 :cool:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Just noticed today that Dolby Vision is available on Jack Ryan in Prime Video. Disney+ still missing DV.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thank you! Ran to check it out, Dolby Vision is there for season one, but missing Atmos!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Thank you! Ran to check it out, Dolby Vision is there for season one, but missing Atmos!
Amazon Prime Video's Atmos content has been inconsistent, particularly since the pandemic hit. I just checked and I get it on S1 & S2 (but not on all episodes).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
What is the wifi antenna design? Eg 2x2 mimo

I know it is 802.11ac 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I had to return my CCGTV. There is no color space control setting.. so setting device to 4K60 only sent 8 bit color. Even with HDR content. My signal chain supports hdmi 2.0b and HDCP 2.2. The CGTV should be smart enough to send YUV 4:2:2 12-bit at 4K60.

-T

·
Registered
384 Posts
Another Incremental Update:

The download is about 85 megs, and I've found no changes in the overall system.
I noticed changes in the Display and Sound settings menu. Now, Enable Game Mode is enabled by default, there's a new Surround Sound toggle, and you can't see what Automatic for sound settings is actually detecting and enabling. That's annoying, so I just used the Manual option and selected all 3 DD options.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yea I just noticed those changes, only because I performed a reset of my Display as a result of a new update available for it.

The Menu system on my TV changed as well, and as a result, HDR, Atmos, and display resolutions were not correct for both my Sheild and CCGT.

Everything was reporting in rec709 and the "Enhanced" mode was moved into a new submenu on my display.

I don't know why it's so hard to release information regarding these updates, while all my other devices have detailed information available.

Sent from my OnePlus 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: StephenMSmith

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got one of these on the way. Will plug it into my Yamaha RX-V781 receiver. Can the remote can be programmed to control the volume of the receiver but allow the power of the receiver and my Vizio TV to be toggled independently of one another or will I need a second universal remote to toggle power on the receiver and TV independently?

·
Registered
12,975 Posts
I've got one of these on the way. Will plug it into my Yamaha RX-V781 receiver. Can the remote can be programmed to control the volume of the receiver but allow the power of the receiver and my Vizio TV to be toggled independently of one another or will I need a second universal remote to toggle power on the receiver and TV independently?
Yes, you can add AVR and TV to the list of devices, then independently assign control to Volume, power and input switch remote buttons to control different devices. Or you can let HDMI CEC to take care it automatically.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can you use the Google TV App to cast any streaming services (YouTube TV, Netflix,etc) to any Chromecast device? I've got a bedroom TV with an older Chromecast and my Chromecast with Google TV is arrivng later where I'll put it in my living room. I rarely watch TV in the bedroom so hoping I don't need to buy a second device.

·
Registered
12,975 Posts
Google TV app has no direct relationship to the device (other than the fact that it auto installs on to your phone somehow). It can only cast to Google TV device as one of the choices (but usually a purchase is needed) although it has the cast button to connect any chromcast device but the app itself seems only alloweither play on the phone or cast to Google TV. Not sure I understand the purpose of the app.

I guess it replaced the old Google Play Video app.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
The Google TV app is a rebrand/update/replacement to the Play TV & Movies app. It also casts to any valid Chromecast Video target... I can cast to my Shield, Jetstream, Mi Box 4s, Lenovo Home Hub, Google Home Hub, Nexus Player, Chromecast Ultra, etc (just tested).

On an unrelated note, I really thought Vudu (HDX Only) and D+ (No Atmos) would be fixed by now... I'm slowly starting to consider more and more trying to find a used 2019 Shield (non-pro) to replace my 2017 Shield Pro to get Atmos on D+ and Netflix, or possibly just running Kodi solely for the Netflix and D+ extensions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm having some issues with the new Chromecast and 24 Hz / 50 Hz modes.

I own a 1080p Sony TV with no frame rate interpolation or frame rate adaptation of 24p media to 60 Hz that newer tvs have.

I was having issues with the new CC at 50 Hz not playing 25p european media smoothly in Amazon Prime Video and some other apps, playback having quite visible judder and frame skips. The same thing happened sometimes playing 24p media in 24 Hz mode.

After some experimentation, I have found that in order to have smooth playback in these apps, I have to select the adequate video mode (1080p 24 Hz or 50 Hz) to the media I want to watch, and reboot. Once rebooted, this media then plays smoothly with no judder. Every time I want to watch media in these apps with a different frame rate than the one that was configured at boot, I have to change the video mode to match the media and then reboot, then it plays smoothly.

However, this doesn't happen with Netflix app. Netflix doesn't require a reboot after changing video mode in order to have smooth playback. In Netflix after just changing video mode the playback of corresponding media is smooth.

(There is however a known separate issue of new CC 24 Hz video mode being 23,976 Hz instead, so that true 24p media such as Netflix originals drop a frame every 41 seconds).

This is a bug in the new Chromecast that is not present in other Android TV boxes and I hope is fixed in future updates. The fact that it happens in some apps but not in others such as Netflix makes me guess it may be due to different ways of handling media playback internally in these apps.

Aside from fixing this bug, I hope automatic frame rate selection such as the one present in Apple TV is implemented in the future. It's quite uncomfortable having to change video mode manually all the time in order to have smooth playback.

621 - 640 of 739 Posts