AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 739 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone noticed that vudu now supports 4k and hdr on the chromecast but the sound coming out is only 2 channel pcm? It doesn't matter if it's in hd or 4k, so no atmos or 5.1.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Has anyone noticed that vudu now supports 4k and hdr on the chromecast but the sound coming out is only 2 channel pcm? It doesn't matter if it's in hd or 4k, so no atmos or 5.1.
Same here. HDR10 engaged on my display, but no Atmos. My AVR stays at 2.0.

Sent from my OnePlus 8 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’m aware the Tv input needs to be set to UHD. I’ve done this already on all ports. The output for this device is dull, no matter what I try. i was hoping there would be at least another person on here seeing the same thing as me. Nothing wrong with the Google tv either, so I don’t know what it is. Might return it then.
the first post in the thread does quote a post from someone who sounds like they know what they're doing, that says hdr10 has incorrect black levels. that's why I've been super hesitant to buy one, and now you have the same TV series I do and are seeing just that. I have no clue what to get though :-/

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
From the instruction manual of the KS8000:

Settings - Picture - Expert Settings

● HDMI UHD Color " When you set the HDMI connection to On, the TV turns off and then on automatically. " The HDMI connection with HDMI UHD Color set to Off supports up to UHD 50P/60P 4:2:0 input signals, while the HDMI connection with HDMI UHD Color set to On supports up to UHD 50P/60P 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 input signals. For more information, refer to "Supported Resolutions for UHD Input Signals." "

For the SUHD models, each HDMI connection can be individually optimized for HDMI UHD Color. For the UHD models, make sure to connect to the HDMI IN 1 port of the TV. " When you connect the TV to an external device that supports only the UHD 24 or 30 Hz frequency or any FHD frequency, the HDMI UHD Color function may not be available. In this case, set HDMI UHD Color to Off.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I got the Vudu update and am also getting stereo only with DV. Oh, but casting to it gives HDR10 with Atmos. Baby steps, I guess.

But I also got the new HBO Max update that says it now supports 4k HDR and Atmos, but I'm only getting stereo out of that too. I'm pretty sure it used to be 5.1. I do get 5.1 DD+ via casting. Hopefully it gets fixed by Christmas day for WW84.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Checking HBO Max on mine as well. I don't think anything is currently available in 4K/HDR/Atmos until WW84 is released.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well after multiple FedEx delays my Chromecast with Google TV arrived. My experience in a nutshell:

1) Warning about features (non specific) not available when trying to activate with my Google Gsuite email. Backed up, used my personal (spam email) Gmail address after googling to find out if I didn't do that, no family sharing.

2) Live channels on both YTTV and Hulu Live all in 2-channel stereo. WTF?

3) Remote could control my Vizio SmartTV volume and power and Yamaha AVR volume but no the Yamaha AVR power no matter what combo of settings I tried for the remote and for the HDMI CEC setting on the Vizio and Yamaha. Best I could do was get the Chromecast remote to turn TV and chromecast off and let the 20-minute auto standby timeout do it's thing on the yamaha unless pressing power on the Yamaha remote. One combo the AVR did switch off but the remote wouldn't turn the AVR back on. Not a huge deal but no gazillion remote codes like you get with a standard Xfinity remote?

4) Many broadcast channels only in 720P (usually 60 fps). Never knew about this. So was I watching "fake" 1080 on my Xfinity box on ABC upscaled from 720 all along?

5) And here's the biggie, Hulu on demand only using 2-channel stereo. OMFG. Hulu on Xbox, 5.1 digital surround. Ran out to Best Buy, bought a Roku Stick+, Hulu on demand is 5.1 Digitial Surround. F.U. Hulu. Get your developers handling your "Hulu for Android TV" to get their act together! Sounds like from other messages on this forum, the lack of 5.1 on wom3 apps is not limited to Hulu.

6) Roku remote is worse than Chromecast remote as it is even dumber. Can only control TV power/volume. No ability to control AVR. CEC doesn't work in my setup (2-yr old mid-level Yamaha with Atmos, and 3-yr old mid-level Vizio Smart TV) even though they have the settings. So now I can't even control AVR volume with Roku remote. It's like Roku designed it for a more average less sophisticated Home Theater setup where the user runs everything through their TV. It's laughable I'm actually still now using my leftover old Xfinity remote as it was easily programmed to control power for AVR and TV together and independently and control AVR volume. Neither the Roku or Chromecast stupid remotes can. Laughable.

I can tell the Google TV interface is better than Roku although Roku is simpler. For now, getting 5.1 Surround on my Hulu VOD is more important than the more intelligent interface of the Google TV. I don't want to keep booting up my Xbox just to watch Hulu. Once Hulu fixes their damn Android TV version app to output 5.1, I'll gladly go back to the Chromecast with Google TV to get the better interface and at least can control my AVR volume from the Chromecast remote.

Technology. Gotta luv it. I'd rather be nailed to a cross than go back to Comcast. Loving my Tmobile Home Internet. 125mbit down, 55mbit up for $50 a month NO BANDWIDTH LIMIT. No $37 in fees and equipment lease charges and being forced to include channel packages with gobs of channels I don't need. (Note I tested Hulu live while I still had a Comcast Internet connection as Hulu treated Tmobile Home Internet same as wifi hotspot and bans it - other streamers don't care! And shouldn't!)

·
UHD Addict
37,999 Posts
I had to return my CCGTV. There is no color space control setting.. so setting device to 4K60 only sent 8 bit color. Even with HDR content. My signal chain supports hdmi 2.0b and HDCP 2.2. The CGTV should be smart enough to send YUV 4:2:2 12-bit at 4K60.

-T
That is what both of my CCGTVs send at 2160P60. 12 bit at 422.
Which is also what my Nvidia Shields send.

Are you sure the HDMI port on your TV is set correctly?

Sent from my Tab A7 Gray

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
That is what both of mine send at 2160P60. 12 bit at 422.

Sent from my Tab A7 Gray
Yeah, so I did return one of my CCGTV because at the time it was not registering anything more than 8 bit. So then, in the Nvidia shield thread that I think you we're are a part of, I learned something valuable. And then that is the Chromecast with Google TV may have been sending 12-bit and it's just that my Onkyo and JVC projector were still indicating 8 bit.

-T

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
We have a Samsung KS8000 and match content turned on, but the HDR output just looks terribly washed out. Is there anyone out there who has the same issue or had the same issue and found a way to fix it? Match content doesn’t fix it...
My TV is a Samsung JS9500; one year earlier than yours. No washed out HDR here. I've used ATV4K, CCGTV and Roku Ultra 4660 and they all look the same to me for HDR10.

I've got the opinion that the SDR on the CCGTV is the most saturated of these; nothing is washed out or elevated black levels. But yes, I'm using match dynamic range on the CCGTV well as the ATV4K.

I don't doubt there's something you see that you don't like. There is one thing I've discovered on my TV as well as what I'm mentioning below- if I set my color tone to warm 1 (as opposed to warm 2), my TV is brighter and more saturated. My gamma is 0 for warm 1 but I have to kick gamma up to 3 to get the same effect I see at 0 with warm 1, if using warm 2 color tone. I just prefer this for SDR content; I'm not sure it helps HDR but I'm pretty happy with my HDR picture.

Note: I do use an HDMI switch with HDMI audio extractor for my older non compliant HDCP AVR. I don't think this makes any difference but I'm able to compare all connected devices on same TV HDMI input this way.
I'm suuuuuper glad you posted since I'm being driven nuts trying to figure out what to buy, you have the same TV series I do (and HDR10 looks fantastic on the few games that support it well on my PS4 Pro also), and early in this thread someone said that the black levels were washed out with the Chromecast with Google TV on HDR10.

maybe it is a settings issue, but I'm not sure what, and if you can't get it figured out then I'm going to avoid this. (getting my PS4 Pro to support hdr10 correctly wasn't very hard, and you already said you had that working fine previously, so presumably could get this working too).

I'm not sure what to buy though...the Fire TV Cube 2019 thread says that it only outputs 8-bit instead of 10 bit color, so if that's true that's out. Not sure about the Fire TV stick 4K. maybe the Roku Ultra.... I might try the Apple TV 4K, except my Apple account keeps getting locked multiple times a week so I'm kind of iffy on buying any more Apple Hardware. Why the frak is this all so complicated?!?
I don't know if was necessary but I did create another Apple ID. I only had it locked once and Apple support wasn't much help understanding why ATV4K wasn't very user friendly, always asking for my pin to update it download free apps when the setting isn't enabled. I factory reset the ATV4Ks I own and used the new Apple ID and setup family share and it's been much better. In fact, I didn't know this earlier but not having an iOS device, I can set 2 factor authentication using an Android device. But out of abundance of caution, I don't want iOS devices syncing with my ATV4Ks anymore. The ATV4K has some dislikes with framerate users that have noted it cannot properly framerate match integer framerate 24.000 content but uses 23.97 refresh and drops frames. Not everyone can spot this; I've struggled to see it but rarely do.

What to buy? This CCGTV and Roku 4800 are newer and cheaper than the ATV4K and Nvidia Shield; both of these are closer to upgrade refresh than inception. The ATV4K annoys me the least now but there's times the Roku is a good fallback.

I don't like fire tv because it lacks a user setting for sleep; pause it longer than 15 or 20 minutes and it disconnects and sleeps. So annoying to me. There's an adb hack for that but it won't last beyond a reboot. Mine is unplugged.

I have no issues with the CCGTV other than it's a bit slower then my ATV4K and I cannot get the stutter out of the NFL app. But when it comes to the NFL app Gamepass replays, Roku seems to get right what ATV4K and CCGTV cannot. The ATV4K cannot keep audio synced; it delays more and more as replay progresses. Whereas the Roku 4660 I have is slow but keeps the audio synced and doesn't tend to stutter the video. I will note that all devices were stuttering in NFL Gamepass replays until I turned off dynamic contrast in advanced picture settings. I've seen the Roku stutter occasionally but it's hard to fault the device when stutter occurs so near an cut edit where plays are condensed one after the other. I thought all of that was quite normal until the ATV4K started showing a very stable transition from play to play with the TV setting edited.

I'd hate to lead you on the wrong direction. But personally, I'd consider the CCGTV or Roku 4800 at this point. Maybe wait and see what happens next with Apple TV and Nvidia Shield. I went to Walmart and found the CCGTV in stock. Setup and started a YTTV discount promo with it (free trial plus $20 off for 3 months paid for my initial purchase). For whatever reason, within days, I started YTTV app with my CCGTV one day and popup says, sit tight, we're giving a free Chromecast with Google TV. Free trials for YTTV, YouTube Music and YouTube and promos that basically net the official price back to you. What's to lose unless you cannot take advantage of promos line Netflix or YouTube subscriptions? No idea how I qualified for another CCGTV but I had purchased a nest hub at discounted price on another promo before buying the CCGTV and subscribing to YTTV. But I almost jumped on the Roku 4800 when I realized it played well with NFL app but decided I'd just recover some storage space by offloading unused apps and dedicate my Roku 4660 for necessity only use.

Note: for the issues I had with dynamic contrast causing stutter, it's also known to cause other issues like color banding. One article I read just suggested it's more trouble than it's worth as a feature; do yourself a favor and tired it off. As long as I've had this TV, I haven't realized that until recently. The Roku 4660 had color banding on my TV until I started experimenting with TV settings. First thing I tried was game mode which helped but actually kept the dynamic contrast setting available. I went back to the movie mode and dropped dynamic contrast for comparison and it's very similar to game mode without impacting HDR. What to do? I'm going with movie mode for now.

Disney+ is fine on all these devices. But I prefer the ATV4K for most apps just because it's usually quicker and the most stable device I have. I used the CCGTV for a week as my sole steamer. Wasn't bad at all; however, coming back to ATV4K, I missed the quickness in its navigation, loading, and buffering. And that's also when I started seeing differences in the NFL app Gamepass replays. Any questions, just ask.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
@aaronwt I have my CCWGTV connected to my Oppo 203 and when I request information about the content I'm streaming, it's all 8-bit.

As a result you may see some Banding on some content. The device will not go beyond 8-bit, but HDR is still engaged on some content.

Someone gave a good explanation about this on the Kodi forums.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, Roku is going back to Best Buy and I'm back on CCWGTV. I was somehow mistaken. The Hulu App streams 2-channel stereo no matter Live or VOD on CCWGTV. BUT, it appears HBOMax streams in 2-channel on the ROKU and 5.1 on the CCWGTV. After using the Roku for an evening, the navigation feautres are way behind the CCWGTV. I can see a lot of people though preferring the Roku because it's simpler for the users who may feel overwhelmed by the GTV interface. But the GTV interface is SO much more feature rich and smarter with more voice command capabilities and you can see the Rotten Tomatoes ratings. And now I can once again at least control my AVR volume with the CCWGTV remote unlike the practically worthless Roku remote. And also, if you hit the power button on the Roku while watching live TV, it just turns the TV off and keeps streaming! I suppose if I'm to watch something major with a great soundtrack/effects on Hulu I'll just ocassionally switch to my Xbox until Hulu gets their act together.

Although, I did a comparison last night on HBO Max on several movies switching between the Roku in 2-channel and the CC in 5.1 and it was very interesting. The DTS NEO 6 Cinema on my Yamaha does a pretty good job convering the 2 channel into a 5.1, it sounded 'fuller' than just the Dolby Digital 5.1. I think because it's sending a bit more content to my rears (that probably isn't there in the original 5.1 recording). But it wasn't like a, "this sounds way better" for the 5.1 like I was fearing. So I can live with the DTS NEO 6 processing until Hulu and YouTube TV (Live) update their streaming apps to stream 5.1. Apparently AT&T Now is the only live channel streaming app that currently streams in 5.1 but I think they are missing CBS Live and you can't get Redzone, deal breakers for me. Plus of course YTTV is going to integrate with GTV the best.

If all the streaming services would update their apps to send audio in 5.1 or Atmos when available, and Google added a plethora of remote codes to allow you to better customize the remote's ability to control a wider variety of devices, CCWGTV would be almost perfect.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts

·
UHD Addict
37,999 Posts
@aaronwt I have my CCWGTV connected to my Oppo 203 and when I request information about the content I'm streaming, it's all 8-bit.

As a result you may see some Banding on some content. The device will not go beyond 8-bit, but HDR is still engaged on some content.

Someone gave a good explanation about this on the Kodi forums.

Many devices erroneously report 8 bit with 422. But with HDMi 2.0 and 2160P, 12 bit is all the HDMI spec allows at 422. Every device that follows the HDMi spec has to send 12 bit at 422.

And a good way to test is with a quantization test pattern. Find one that shows 8 bit and 10 bit. Any device that is sending 8 bit will have banding in the pattern. But if its sending 10 bit or 12 bit, the pattern is nice and smooth. And my CCGTVs pass this test which means it is not sending 8 bit at 2160P with 422.

Sent from my Tab A7 Gray

Reactions: T-Bone

·
Registered
49 Posts
Many devices erroneously report 8 bit with 422. But with HDMi 2.0 and 2160P, 12 bit is all the HDMI spec allows at 422. Every device that follows the HDMi spec has to send 12 bit at 422.

And a good way to test is with a quantization test pattern. Find one that shows 8 bit and 10 bit. Any device that is sending 8 bit will have banding in the pattern. But if its sending 10 bit or 12 bit, the pattern is nice and smooth. And my CCGTVs pass this test which means it is not sending 8 bit at 2160P with 422.

Sent from my Tab A7 Gray
You wouldn't I happen to know if there are any other devices that fail that test, would you? Like the Fire TV Cube 2019 thread acts like it only sends 8-bit color with HDR10? (hopefully nothing else has that issue)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
UHD Addict
37,999 Posts
You wouldn't I happen to know if there are any other devices that fail that test, would you? Like the Fire TV Cube 2019 thread acts like it only sends 8-bit color with HDR10? (hopefully nothing else has that issue)
I had no issues when I checked my Fire Tv 4K sticks in the past. They passed the 10 bit test. But I have not checked them recently. I don't own a FireTV Cube though.

Reactions: Wolf3

·
Registered
55 Posts
Shouldn't this thread be renamed or a new one started "OFFICIAL Chromecast with Google TV (CCWGTV)" ? A lot of people may not know what the heck "Sabrina" is.

Here is my conclusion after using the CCWGTV, ROKU Streaming Stick Plus, and Tivo Stream 4K.

681 - 700 of 739 Posts