AVS Forum banner

701 - 720 of 739 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I noticed one thing that I don't know if CCw/GTV or the streaming service. My setup supports HDR10 and Atmos (confirmed w/CCw/GTV) and I get both Atmos and HDR10 in Netflix and Prime. But no Atmos from Disney+ or HBOMax (the WW movie).

From the way the HDR/DV/Atmos labels are grouped in Disney+, it tells me that for Disney+ I can only get Atmos if my system also supports DV. Same for WW on HBOMax. Is this true?

I know all Blu-rays that support DV also by definition will output HDR10, is this not the case for streaming services? And it's just Netflix creating extra streaming sources, some w/DV+Atmos and copy w/HDR10+Atmos?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I recently upgraded to a Shield Pro and Atmos is now available to me using Disney Plus.

My CCwGTV nor my 2015 Shield support Atmos for this app. Once I get a new tv for the bedroom, the CC is going back there.

Sent from my OnePlus 8 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
I noticed one thing that I don't know if CCw/GTV or the streaming service. My setup supports HDR10 and Atmos (confirmed w/CCw/GTV) and I get both Atmos and HDR10 in Netflix and Prime. But no Atmos from Disney+ or HBOMax (the WW movie).

From the way the HDR/DV/Atmos labels are grouped in Disney+, it tells me that for Disney+ I can only get Atmos if my system also supports DV. Same for WW on HBOMax. Is this true?

I know all Blu-rays that support DV also by definition will output HDR10, is this not the case for streaming services? And it's just Netflix creating extra streaming sources, some w/DV+Atmos and copy w/HDR10+Atmos?
It is app problem. Atmos on Disney+ was available for a week when CCGTV first released. Then it is no longer available on this device.

As for HBO Max, they specifically listed that the app currently does not support Atmos on CCGTV.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
OK, that's good then. So there aren't any streaming services out there that will only give me Atmos if I can also get DV? App problems will eventually be resolved.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Most streaming apps require you streaming 4k before sending you Atmos audio. But I tested HBO Max app on a different Android TV device @ 1080p and I did get Atmos audio.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Wish I found this thread earlier. Thought I had found a device that combines the qualities of Roku and Firestick so I could simplify. Not doing Atmos on Vudu defeats the whole reason for getting it in the first place for me. Guess I'll need to keep looking.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Shouldn't this thread be renamed or a new one started "OFFICIAL Chromecast with Google TV (CCWGTV)" ? A lot of people may not know what the heck "Sabrina" is.

Here is my conclusion after using the CCWGTV, ROKU Streaming Stick Plus, and Tivo Stream 4K.

See my response regarding Tivo in your thread.

·
Registered
18,701 Posts
Is there any way to quick-change refresh rates/resolution on these like you can on the Shield? I don't care so much about auto-refresh rates, but it's pretty easy to figure out the frame rates of content, I don't mind manually changing to 1080p/23.976, etc.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was wondering same thing. AFAIK, CC w/GTV upconverts everything to 4K, period. There's not way to pass through the native signal at it's native resolution. Only HDR can be set to "native' via the Match Content setting. Am I correct?

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
I was wondering same thing. AFAIK, CC w/GTV upconverts everything to 4K, period. There's not way to pass through the native signal at it's native resolution. Only HDR can be set to "native' via the Match Content setting. Am I correct?
No, it can be set to 1080p or 4K resolutions and 24p or 60p per EDID info from TV. Once it is set at system level, all video output will follow that.

·
Registered
18,701 Posts
No, it can be set to 1080p or 4K resolutions and 24p or 60p per EDID info from TV. Once it is set at system level, all video output will follow that.

I realize you can change it from the settings- but I'm wondering if there's a quick way to change? There is a refresh rate/resolution quick change app for the Shield, I was wondering if there's anything like that or do you have to go into settings every time?

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
I realize you can change it from the settings- but I'm wondering if there's a quick way to change? There is a refresh rate/resolution quick change app for the Shield, I was wondering if there's anything like that or do you have to go into settings every time?
Nope. Those apps don't work because they rely on some ancient API that no longer supported on this box. If you load Kodi, you will find that it can't let you chose anything other than the default 1080p60.

·
Registered
384 Posts

I guess what I was hoping for is a Native setting where the cc w/GTV outputs 1080p or 4K or whatever the source is. For example, except for WW84, everything in HBOMax is 1080p. But the CC w/GTV upconverts to 4K and send that to my 4K TV. I don't have real complaints, but would like option to see how my TV upconverts to 4K compared to the CC.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Shouldn't this thread be renamed or a new one started "OFFICIAL Chromecast with Google TV (CCWGTV)" ? A lot of people may not know what the heck "Sabrina" is.

Here is my conclusion after using the CCWGTV, ROKU Streaming Stick Plus, and Tivo Stream 4K.

Huh. Interesting. I absolutely love my actual tivo's that I've been using for years, but didn't pick up the streaming device.

I passed on the Chromecast with Google TV because at least right now it isn't doing hdr10 correctly with Disney+, which at the moment is my main use case for 4K. (presumably this is a software issue that should get fixed... But it hasn't been yet, and one never knows, even big companies leave stuff broken for years sometimes)

·
Registered
953 Posts
I did a search in this post, but didn't find an answer. I've had my Chromecast with Google TV hooked up for about a week now. Am I missing something, or doesn't this have a "continue watching" feature for shows on Netflix, Prime, etc. like I'm used to on Roku? For example, I recently started watching The Expanse and when I chose to watch it the next day, it automatically started playing episode 1 of season 5. I'm only on season 1, but at least I now know that Chrisjen Avasarala continues as a character into season 5. ;) I'm used to my Roku starting where I left off.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Each app has to implement their own way of doing it. Prime, Disney+, HBO Max all have a continue watch strip. You click on the show, it plays where you left off. So is YouTube but it is more convoluted and doesn't work very well.

EDIT: also on the home screen, there is a Continue watching area that you can jump directly to each movie or series in the For You section just below the apps.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My Continue Watching is very inconsistent. Sometimes shows appear, sometimes not. I also have 2 CC w/GTV's, in my house both on the same Google account. But they show completely different Continue Watching lists. I would expect them to sync. Or is this intentional design? ie. Continue Watching is per device not per account?

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
The list differs if you have different apps installed. But it seems only a small number of shows can show up at anytime. I have various Android TV devices and in general they do show similar shows listed but if you have a large list, there is no guarantee which ones show up. For consistency, you need to go to each app which will show the consistent history inside app.

701 - 720 of 739 Posts