AVS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 776 Posts

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
I don't think they have a univeral watch list generate from cloud but more of a localized watch list based on old Android TV implementation. What GTV offers is AI recommendation of new shows you might be interested to watch, not to maintain a per device watch list :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well yeah, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of Google TV and its universal watch list?
Yes, it sure does for me. My son bought one of these a couple months ago and showed me how all the shows are placed on the main screen, and I loved the idea. It's a shame that it doesn't fully implement this. Oh well, I still have my Roku to go back to.

I watched the last couple episodes in season 1 of The Expanse tonight and it was a royal PITA to have the Chromecast revert back to season 5 every time I stopped the stream.

·
Registered
405 Posts
What the F is up w/HBOMax of CC w/GTV?!? I just realized that it's more than just WW84 where the app in CC w/GTV won't output the expected Atmos (for WW84) or even DD+ for older titles like Deadwood. But in both cases, I can open HBOMax app on my phone and instead, cast to CC w/GTV and get Atmos and DD. The HBOMax app in my Sony Android TV also outputs DD via ARC, so it's clearly an issue specific to CC w/GTV.

This is so frustrating as I now find myself instinctively grabbing AVR and TV remotes so I can double-check that I'm getting expected DD or Atmos sound every time I play something via GTV. Are there other apps w/same problem or just HBO? I think I read here that Disney+ started something similar in recent update?

·
Registered
405 Posts
The HBO Max issue isn't isolated to this device, I have the same issue on my ShieldTV.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
OK, so the hbomax app on ccc w/gtv only outputs pcm now, for everything. At least that's what I see on both of my gtv's.

But this is a new bug introduced with the update for 4k/atmos in ww84, right? I don't remember, prior to this recent update, we got dd in the gtv app, right?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Yes, as the app updated to support for 4k/HDR for WW84, we lost Dolby Digital.

Reactions: StephenMSmith

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I tested two AV1 videos using Plex and Kodi last night. While there's no support for for the AV1 file format for this device, I just wanted to see what would happen.

The two small AV1 files found in the link below will not play in Plex. There was an immediate error message. In Kodi, the files will play, but eventually the videos begin to studder.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
OK, so the hbomax app on ccc w/gtv only outputs pcm now, for everything. At least that's what I see on both of my gtv's.

But this is a new bug introduced with the update for 4k/atmos in ww84, right? I don't remember, prior to this recent update, we got dd in the gtv app, right?
what happens when you cast to your Chromecast with Google TV? Do you get multi-channel audio then?

The shield 2019 is still broken, But casting solves the problem. In the short term.

Can you try it?

-T

·
Registered
405 Posts
what happens when you cast to your Chromecast with Google TV? Do you get multi-channel audio then?

The shield 2019 is still broken, But casting solves the problem. In the short term.

Can you try it?

-T
Yep, casting to the CC from HBOMax works perfectly. That was the workaround for no Atmos in WW84 via CCwGTV, and it also works for DD.

Summary, today everything on HBOMax needs to be Cast to CCwGTV if you want anything multi-channel, app will only output PCM period. Until they fix the bug.

But interestingly, I do get DD output from HBOMax via ARC for my Sony TV's Android TV app. I'll check again but it was DD, not DD+. And compare app versions. TV can't output Atmos via ARC so I use CCwGTV plugged into receiver exclusively.

·
Registered
405 Posts
So basically CC w/GTV is a worse option right now than CC Ultra? Does HBO Max do Atmos and DV on CC Ultra?
Nah, it worked before and it will work again I'm certain. I wouldn't spend $1 on a CC Ultra when you can have a CCwGTV for less. Casting works just as well on both devices.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nah, it worked before and it will work again I'm certain. I wouldn't spend $1 on a CC Ultra when you can have a CCwGTV for less. Casting works just as well on both devices.
I currently have a CC Ultra on the upstairs TV, since I got a CC w/GTV for downstairs, but I watch more movies downstairs.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My phone and tablet just got an HBOMax update w/a update description that sounds really promising, but now I realize -- how the heck do I know if CCwGTV apps are updated and when, and can I force update check? Maybe rebooting causes all apps to check for updates? Anything?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
My phone and tablet just got an HBOMax update w/a update description that sounds really promising, but now I realize -- how the heck do I know if CCwGTV apps are updated and when, and can I force update check? Maybe rebooting causes all apps to check for updates? Anything?
Use the assistant on your Chromecast with Google TV to search the app store for HBO Max. And then just scroll down to look at the information and you'll see if an update is available. If it automatically updated, at least you can see the date of the newest version in your app store.

-T

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Select your app. Press and hold OK/Select button to bring out the context menu. Choose 'View Details'. It will open the app store page. If there is an update, it will show an 'Update' button instead of Open button. But, just updated. 5.1 shows still show up as stereo. Only WW84 sends out some kind of DD.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Damn it!!!!! Oh well, I guess it's one step closer? lol

Ah, OK. I knew about checking App details. Any idea of the logic b/t when CCwGTV checks for app updates and applies?

·
Registered
13,041 Posts
Damn it!!!!! Oh well, I guess it's one step closer? lol

Ah, OK. I knew about checking App details. Any idea of the logic b/t when CCwGTV checks for app updates and applies?
You can see the details like app version and last update date. That should be good enough for you. Right now, it shows update date as 1/19/2021. I'm pretty sure that will be as up to date as you can.

·
Registered
405 Posts
OK, so I know Netflix pulled out of the universal Watch List on CCwGTV. But is it just me or did they also stop letting Google put Netflix shows in Continue Watching for CCwGTV? No Netflix shows, whether Netflix originals or not, are showing up in Continue Watching for me the last few weeks, and there a couple of really old ones stuck at the end of CCwGTV continue watching. Same for both CCwGTV's in my house. Just me or everyone?

721 - 740 of 776 Posts