AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to decide on a hdtv receiver (Mitsubishi?) and need to arrange an antennae. Anyone in the Detroit area have any recommendations? Specifically, I am in Farmington Hills.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
You're about 15 miles, or less, from the general area all the DTV stations broadcast from.

If you just want DTV reception, for now all 6 Detroit stations are on the UHF band. So you could try an indoor UHF antenna, Radio Shack has a few different models and a good return policy.

An indoor UHF antenna called the Silver Sensor gets great user reviews here at AVS, but they are not locally available. A search will turn up ways to buy these via the Internet, I think they are less than $50.

Some of the DTV stations may go back to VHF in the future, so another idea would be to get a medium size outdoor VHF/UHF antenna, roof mounted would be best. This will also allow you to get the local analog stations with much better reception than from any other method and future-proof you for all DTV reception, too.

If your lucky, with a large, high mounted outdoor VHF/UHF antenna, antenna preamp & rotor you should be able to get other Michigan TV markets. I'm south of you and can get the Toledo stations quite well. You might be able to get stations in Flint/Bay City/Saginaw or Lansing, too.

Try a search on the HDTV Hardware forum for "Channel Master", "CM" & "Silver", for the last 30 days, there have been a number of OTA reception threads with in depth information.

The bottom line is this: OTA reception is all variable and you must try different solutions for each specific location. But, for you the news is good as in this area we have flat terrain & most users (if not all) in your location have little problem getting stable DTV reception.

Here are links to antenna selection guides:

http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/step1.html

www.titantv.com

Good Luck.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 04-14-2001).]

·
Registered
842 Posts
I had great success with the Channel Master Stealth antenna for 30 bucks. No need for the amplifier.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I live in Ann Arbor and I can receive 5 channels easily with my Silver Sensor. It's a little bit tricky to get WKBD - I have to set the antenna outside my window.

TechOne,

What 8 channels are you getting? I get these 6:

WXYZ

WDIV

WWJ

WTVS

WJBK

WKBD

·
Registered
279 Posts
TechOne, welcome to the forum. You will find this site to be very helpful for your set-up and future purchase decisions. John Gannon ISFed my Elite and will return in the near future to do the HD input. When you are ready for it, John is among the best. Randy

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TechOne:
Bruce, I just got my SAT-HD100 setup this week and I am using a Terk 55 OTA that I purchased from J&R for $99.00. I have seen some negative comments about TERK products; However, I live in the Plymouth area and eight Digital channels are being received flawlessly.....
I am in plymouth as well

which EIGHT chammels are you receiving?

what toledo/flint/lansing channeles are digital right now

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
He may be including the weather scan from WDIV and skycam from WXYZ. Additionally, WLNS from Lansing has been up since just prior to the SuperBowl (I'm not sure how far East that signal goes, though if it's anything like their analog signal...).

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TechOne:
Here is a list of the channels that I am receiving. I am not sure that all of the calls signs are correct.

1. 2.1 WJBK (Fox)

2. 4.1 NBC

3. 4.3 Same as 2 (signal drops in & out) Readjust OTA ???

4. 41.1 WXYT (weather map)

5. 41.2 WXYT (ABC)

6. 41.3 WXYT (sky cam of Southfield)

7. 50.1 WKBD (UPN 50)

8. 56.1 PBS

9. 62.1 CBS

4, 5, 6 are WXYZ

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Each DTV station has the capability to multicast, meaning more than one SDTV channel (or subchannels) can be broadcast at the same time.

Some DTV broadcasters (not in Detroit) have experimented with one 720p HD channel and two 480p SDTV channels at the same time, with good results. Lee Woods has more info on this.

In Detroit, ch 41 WXYZ-DT usually has two subchannels with weather radar & tower cam and ch 45 WDIV-DT has one subchannel with weather radar. All in all, there are 6 DTV stations at this time, with the 7th (WXON-DT) expected in the next few months, or less.

------------------

tm

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:

...with the 7th (WXON-DT) expected in the next few months, or less.
I had not heard this. Now I'll have a chance to watch the DTV version of... um, well, ... humpfh ... ? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
45,618 Posts
Man E,

Whatever it is that they have on "The WB"!

I've thought that offering HD programing might be one way to jump start ratings for WB & UPN.

------------------

tm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.