Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I live in Commerce, MI about 15 minutes north of 12 Oaks Mall (married with a little one year old named Allison. It would really mean a lot to hook up with some locals as a group or individually to learn about what people have done in their own theaters. I have a plan of action for my own basement..... "a plan" (LOL). My current home theater doubles as a family room. It's a nice little set up, sponsored by a 36" Sony XBR. Anyway, the real deal would consist of front projector set up and the accompanying acoutraments in my opinion I enjoy learning about the process and engaging other peoples ideas and equipment. For me it's a lot less stressful then loitering around a HT vendor. Please feel free to contact me if I am not imposing to much on someones time.
[email protected]

Matthew

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
I am from the Jackson MI area and my future theater is still in the pre-design stages.

About the only thing I am certain on is that the theater will be in the south end of my basement where there are no overhead water lines to immediately threaten the room and its equipment should a pipe burst.

Because of my current pre-build status I would love to get together with some home theater enthusiasts and would gladly drive a reasonable distance to learn from people who have built their own theaters.

Craig

·
Registered
115 Posts
Matt and Craig, you have started in the right spot. This site has been my library for the HT. I plan on having a meet in early July at my home. There are some really NICE HT in the Mich area and plenty on people to offer you friendly advice. I would have this earlier but there are weddings, graduations, and not to mention I have a 16 week class condensed into 4 weeks.

My HT doesn't have the theater style seating. I decided to go with reclining sofa, love seat, and chair. Ninety nine percent of the time it is just my wife and I in the room. I built all of my on cabinates, trim boards, and will make the endtables (someday). I wired the room for both electric and sound. I recessed my pulled down Daylight screen (don't think I would do a pulldown again) and installed the acoustical ceiling (some are against those in this site) The only thing I didn't do myself was install the carpet (figured I screw that up).

This is a new hobby for me and I need to up-grade many areas, such as light controls, reciever, subwoofer, and the projector! Does leave much does it. As Art and I have discussed, I don't think we will every be "finished" with the home theater. But by talking with people, reading posts, and visiting other HT I think I'll make better decisions and choices.

I'm trying to put a picture in the site. Should be labeled AWK. I haven't finished the cabinate under the screen. I plan on a birch top to match the speakers. May even get that done today.

AWK

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Hyey guys.

I am in Bloomfield Township.

If interested I have a theater in progress going on. If interested in all the sordid details click on my link (below) or drop me a line. I am 5 mos into it. Rough carpentry, electrical is done. Drywall coming in the next couple weeks!

I can give you an idea of the ups and downs and would be happy to show it to you at any time.

JEff

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live Howell MI with a ht in my basement.. thats just keeps getting updates

haha.... I think I enjoy building it more than using it.. we hardly use it

only when theres guests... or I guess I should say maybe once a week

almost everyone that comes over says...(man I would live down here.)

I'm sure you guys have heard it all. we have a 61 inch upstairs with

dvd, sat, 5.1 surround so its just easier to use it... and besides that.

there just aren't no good movies (to make use of it.. if you know what

I mean)

Ht in basement, zenith pro 895 projector, runco processor, 52x92 draper

screen with home made remote masking sony 5.1 sat, dish net 301,

2 Toshiba DVD players, Marantz 5.1 preamp, 5- 701 amps, 2- 501 amps

and 5 channel amp, Klipsh speakers 5 of them don't remember the models

numbers, (I could walk downstairs and look naaaaaaa to lazy.)

4 more poke speakers for the far rear... 2 15inch subs. 6 lazy boys

with bass shakers, using 2 remote control parts express sub amps

Xantech hidden link system, Leviton x-10 lighting, I cant think of any

thing else.. well about the only thing I don't have is HDTV receiver,

I will get one its just that I NEVER watch reg TV or sat, down

stairs, so it kinda a waste.. and beside that. same thing THERES nothing

to watch on it..(for me anyway) SO when FOX starts broadcasting

NASCAR in HDTV or ESPN starts broadcasting Drag racing, I will get one.

oh ya and marantz 9200 color remote (I love this thing)

I have been watching this forum for a few years, I have learned a lot from

you guys, I have some pictures that I added, under CRT Projectors members gallery any way...I would be interested in getting some more ideas and meeting some of you...

Jim

howell MI
http://www.avsforum.com/PhotoPost/in...e=2&si=onestop

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a cheap home theatre in my basement, and live in Fowlerville, not far from Howell.

I desperatly want to drop the big bucks on this, but I'm married. DOH!

It's 'ok' that's about it.

Flat screen HD Zenith.

Need to upgrade stereo and speakers...BAD. Especially the speakers.

I'd be interested in a meet though, just to check out what other people are doing. Hopefully see a good idea or two.:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
lordlindsey

If you are interested I just upgraded my speakers and I am looking to get rid of them. They are the boston acoustic system 9000 (two front mains on stands, a center, 2 dipole rears, and a sub) paid $1100.00 with stands asking $500.00 and since your in the area. No biggie if your not interested, but if you are drop me a pm. Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Greetings from Windsor, Ontario; which may as well be Detroit right?!

I too have been lurking around the forum listening, observing and collecting information. One of the conditions I agreed to buying a particular 2 storey my wife loved was if I could have exclusive design and functional control over a piece of real estate in the basement which measures 17x19x8. No windows, 2 outer walls...perfect.

I am in the process of turning this into my very own sanctuary.

I already have the heart and soul of this room. A Pioneer VSX-49TX THX receiver and a Sony VPL-VW11HT projector. (Right now I feel like I've got a Ferrari with no seats!!)

With the framing complete and the electrical at 80%, I would love the opportunity to get together with some other enthusiasts and mix it up! If there are enough interested people, can we decide on a place and get together? Thanks for the opportunity to contribute!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ferrari with no seats....Thats good one! I got a Corvette missing on two cylinders! I need to up grade or fix it, just can't afford it right now.

I have just gotten my posting capabilty back. I changed my e-mail adress and messed things up.

I'm planning something in the July time. I'm in a 16 week class that has been condensed to 4 weeks, so it taking alot of my time.

I think having this get together will help me more than others. There is some much I need to learn.

THXessive, you just on the other side of the lake from us. I'm 24 miles north of the RenCen in Dertoit.

AWK99

·
Registered
21 Posts
AWK99 - Thanks for the response! Yeah, I'm actually about 4 miles from the Ambassador Bridge.

July is a good time for me too...any time the Big 3 stop working for awhile is a good time. Please do let me know the time and the place...I'll be there!

Do you have any pictures of your current setup or are you starting from scratch?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would be interested as well. My wife and I recently moved to Grosse Ile and I'm currently in the process of finishing my basement. It is not a "true" HT (theater seats on risers) but it is more of a "media room". While we love movies, we also like the idea of having 10+ friends over to watch a game (NFL, NCAA, NHL, etc.) so we went with a more open layout. It may not be acoustically perfect but should allow for many hours of fun!

As soon as I have the time I will post some in-progress pics starting from day one. Between a new home and a baby, time is a bit scarce!

·
Registered
115 Posts
DLR,

I went with the same approach using the conventional reclining sofa, love seat and chair. I spend a good deal of time just listening to music and reading and couldn't justify riser (head room for another reason) and theater style seating. We had a birthday party last weekend for my mother and we entertianed about 25 poeple including family. At any given time 10 people where in the room enjoying some type of media, be it Playstation, TV, or a DVD. Worked-out real well and kept some of the nephews quiet for hours.

I posted a picture or two on the site under AWK99

AWk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hello AWK,

I live in Macomb only a few miles away and would be very interested in a quick visit. (even before July if you can fit it in)

Anyhow, I am in the process of building my theater right now. Click on my link to see the progress. I am a little farther than the pictures. About 50%

of HVAC and 30% of electrical is also done.

Here is a list of my equipment which was in the Great Room of my last house. (moved on 9/15/02)

DLUKS Home Theater System:

VIDEO:

Davis DL-S8 FPTV

Crystalimage VS 2.0 Video Processor

Draper M2500 4:3 120" Diagonal fixed screen.

AUDIO:

Denon AVR-2700 DD Receiver

Klipsch Speaker Package:

3.5 Left Front, Right Front

.5 Left Rear, Right Rear

SW-10 Powered Sub Woofer

KV-2 Center

MEDIA PLAYERS:

Panasonic PV-4564 VCR

Toshiba SD-2107 DVD

Denon DCM-370 Carousel HDCD

GAME SYSTEMS:

XBOX with 4 Controllers & network hub

Nintendo 64 with 4 Controllers

Sega Dreamcast with 4 Controllers

Can you believe I talked my wife into a 4:3 110" diagonal fixed screen in our Great Room? (Should have seen the neighbors on Halloween coming up to the door with their kids asking if that was our TV they saw from the street!)

My projector is boxed up and I am having withdrawl symptoms.

·
Registered
115 Posts
David,

I home all weekend and don't really have any plans so give me a note.

I just off of Gratiot, south of 23 mile. My e-mail is [email protected]

AWK

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Greetings,

After I originally posted last month....... a couple days went by... nobody posted. I just had a chance to revisit this part of the site. Thanks for the posts and hopefully I will get a chance to meet some of you at Jeff's HT meet. I just do not know if I made the 12 person cut.

Matthew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.