AVS Forum banner

8401 - 8420 of 13137 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjones /forum/post/17566223

OK, so we COULD take the Dish/DTV receiver up north, hook it to the extra set of dishes there, and receive everything BUT the local channels. That would be OK. Have Comcast scheduled to come out, but their more-or-less basic service will be $60/Month so a dish deal looks better all the time if I can patch the locals in. Is this a big deal with a dish system - how many buttons ya gotta push to switch from dish/DTV channels to the locals and back?

Matters how the TV set is configured, what kind of tuner the set has, and how the cable or satellite service is configured.

If the cable is received through a set-top-box (satellite always is), and the TV has both a digital tuner and some form of A/V inputs, you're in luck. Use HDMI, S-video or Component connection for the pay TV (this will also provide better sound and picture than RF connection), and plug an antenna into the/an RF (AKA ANT, ANT/CABLE) jack. This way, you can use the input selector (by remote) to switch between OTA and pay. (Even this is too much "effort" for some people, I know of a family that has an HDTV with 2 RF jacks, and gets OTA HD, but never uses it - HD not worth the bother of using the remote to switch back to cable to surf all the

Another option (SD only systems) is to have pay (with or without STB) into RF and an OTA CECB into A/V inputs.

(feel free to PM me if you want to ask about other configurations).

Quote:

So now the next task is to find a great indoor antenna for the house in Waterford that will pick up WFUM Flint and WTVS. The radio shack I have now is a PITA - a rotary switch that has to be fussed with, lots of drop outs, etc., BUT it has shown me I can get WFUM and WTVS some of the time, so I think a good amplified indoor will do the job.

Any recommendations?

KJ

Buy any indoor antenna from a store that will let you return it "no questions asked". Your dropouts are not necessarily the fault of your RS antenna nor its rotary switch.

When you use an indoor antenna, the antenna is merely the feedpoint of a far more complicated antenna system, your house and it's surroundings affect reception far more than the indoor antenna itself, and great DTV signals are often ruined in the "last 10 meters". You may find it impossible to get WTVS from the North face of your home, or WFUM from the South face. The only way to know if an indoor antenna will work in your home will be to try it yourself.

As to the type of indoor antenna? Ignore brand names, choose one with thick cable instead of thin, get a preamplified model if certain stations -never- come in, avoid a preamplified model if you have strong signals that "drop out" (strong signals dropping out can't be fixed by adding gain - its not the signal strength that is the problem, its the multipath! [something I've told so many people, I chose it as my screen name!]).

·
Registered
141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo0 /forum/post/17568317

Looks like the remainder of the Comcast HD expansion for Ann Arbor happened today. However I have no guide info for many of the channels, even after forcing my TivoHD to connect.

I find it odd that MSNBC-HD was not part of the upgrade.

I'm missing a few channels on my Series3 but the majority have data.

If they're not all up to date in a few days, submit a request to TiVo to check with Tribune:
http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...neup_tool.html

If enough of us do it, it'll get done pretty quickly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ATT has been heavily pushing U-Verse again in my area.

Now that it has been in the Livonia area for a while now, does anyone have any experience/comments they would like to share regarding the quality of the HD broadcasts, and also comments about the speed/reliability of the internet access?

Thanks for any thoughts on your experiences.

·
Registered
45,583 Posts

Quote:

OK, so we COULD take the Dish/DTV receiver up north, hook it to the extra set of dishes there, and receive everything BUT the local channels. That would be OK. Have Comcast scheduled to come out, but their more-or-less basic service will be $60/Month so a dish deal looks better all the time if I can patch the locals in. Is this a big deal with a dish system - how many buttons ya gotta push to switch from Dish/DirecTV channels to the locals and back?

For Dish Network, most all of their HD receivers have a built in ATSC tuner for over the air digital TV reception, and the unit integrates the channels with the channels coming from the satellites for surfing and for the on screen guide.

For DirecTV, the current generation of HD receivers do not have ATSC tuners, but if you get an HD DVR, there is an outboard tuner, the AM-21, which will do the same as the integrated Dish HD receivers.

In both cases, no button pushing is needed.

As far as picking between the two:

DirecTV

- The most HD Sports (NFL Sunday Ticket, NCAA Mega March Madness, ESPN Game Plan, MLB Extra Innings, MLS Direct Kick, NASCAR HotPass, etc.)

- Slightly better HD image quality.

Dish Network

- Best HD DVR

- HD Only Packages

- The most overall HD channels

Quote:
So now the next task is to find a great indoor antenna for the house in Waterford that will pick up WFUM Flint and WTVS. The radio shack I have now is a PITA - a rotary switch that has to be fussed with, lots of drop outs, etc., BUT it has shown me I can get WFUM and WTVS some of the time, so I think a good amplified indoor will do the job.

Any recommendations?

KJ
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1037779

·
Registered
45,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiganguy /forum/post/17571470

ATT has been heavily pushing U-Verse again in my area.

Now that it has been in the Livonia area for a while now, does anyone have any experience/comments they would like to share regarding the quality of the HD broadcasts, and also comments about the speed/reliability of the internet access?

Thanks for any thoughts on your experiences.

In general, U-verse is considered to have the least HD image quality.

·
Registered
45,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthemultipath! /forum/post/17570053

Matters how the TV set is configured, what kind of tuner the set has, and how the cable or satellite service is configured.

If the cable is received through a set-top-box (satellite always is), and the TV has both a digital tuner and some form of A/V inputs, you're in luck. Use HDMI, S-video or Component connection for the pay TV (this will also provide better sound and picture than RF connection), and plug an antenna into the/an RF (AKA ANT, ANT/CABLE) jack. This way, you can use the input selector (by remote) to switch between OTA and pay. (Even this is too much "effort" for some people, I know of a family that has an HDTV with 2 RF jacks, and gets OTA HD, but never uses it - HD not worth the bother of using the remote to switch back to cable to surf all the

Another option (SD only systems) is to have pay (with or without STB) into RF and an OTA CECB into A/V inputs.

?

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo0 /forum/post/17568317

Looks like the remainder of the Comcast HD expansion for Ann Arbor happened today. However I have no guide info for many of the channels, even after forcing my TivoHD to connect.

I find it odd that MSNBC-HD was not part of the upgrade.

All of the "coming soon" channels have been added in Ann Arbor
but not TCM

·
Registered
308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/17574198

?

Sorry, Ken, I guess I can get a little wordy.

My best effort to answer the question posed by kjjones: "how many buttons ya gotta push to switch from Dish/DirecTV channels to the locals and back?"

likely a reference to the earlier days of D*, when the whole constellation consisted of two "birds" right next to each other, there were no local stations from D* (#), it was assumed you got the networks from the locals with a terrestrial antenna, and the D* box was an analog pass-through device. To watch OTA, you put the D* in pass-through and switched to your TV's own tuner. In some cases, many buttons had to be pressed.

I had the old type of system for several years before getting an ATSC set in 2005 (and later switching to cable to get on the internet).

(#) if you had no locals, you got non-local network stations off the D* bird.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the info, learning as I go here...

Looks like Dish now has a $29.99 OTA adaptor for their receivers/DVRs. Plus is that it will map the OTA stuff as just more channels on the receiver. Also their receivers handle 2 TVs, the second via a wireless connection (only SD for that TV).

KJ

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiu /forum/post/17567603

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this. Using an HDHomerun over here in Plymouth, wife left me a note this morning her dancing shows didn't record (using VMC).

No picture...but the cable channels were coming in. Did a rescan and they disappeared, only the standard SD cable versions were there (ie WDIV, not WDIV-DT).

Still have WWJ-DT, so the Mentalist should record for her tonight...but wondering what's up. They added some channels earlier this week I noticed also, TBS, FX, A&E, History, ESPN2 and a couple others I think.

I've got the same problem on Win 7 Media Center here in Ann Arbor. ABC, NBC, and FOX are no longer available in ClearQAM HD.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Still no WJBK, WDIV,WTVS or WXYZ in HD here in Plymouth. Any Canton/Northville/Plymouth people have the same issue? Don't know if it's changed in the last few years but if I remember right that was a separate area from Westland.

All I am getting is the standard cable distribution of those channels--not the -DT versions, and no subchannels. Still getting WWJ-DT though. So no Michigan football in HD, and no 56.3 (Create) shows recording this weekend.

Is there even anyone at Comcast who would know what I am talking about if I called? I'm guessing the regular phone jockeys would just tell me digital cable without a box is impossible :p

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by online /forum/post/17575828

I've got the same problem on Win 7 Media Center here in Ann Arbor. ABC, NBC, and FOX are no longer available in ClearQAM HD.

Ah, I see we are both up early checking on this and posting! Discouraging to say the least. What about PBS? Do you get WTVS (channel 56 OTA) out there usually, or do they go with the A2 channel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
well I guess it's good to hear i'm not alone missing my hd channels from comcast basic, but this sucks. Has anyone contacted comcast to see what changed because watching UofM beat Ohio today in standard definition will not make me happy. haha ;o)

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazgiz79 /forum/post/17576030

well I guess it's good to hear i'm not alone missing my hd channels from comcast basic, but this sucks. Has anyone contacted comcast to see what changed because watching UofM beat Ohio today in standard definition will not make me happy. haha ;o)

What's your location? Also, quite the optimist I see

I might plug the antenna in to the TV. Light overcast outside, should be good reception today anyways.

edit: haven't found enough patience underneath the couch cushions to be ready to handle a phone call to support yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Online chat was not helpful...probably need to contact the local offices, and probably during the week. I will be calling Monday if it's still going on and seeing if I can talk to someone who knows what's going on.

I wouldn't even mind if they took away all the clear-QAM expanded basic channels, but my locals in HD and sub-channels are what I want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm just south of ann arbor in Milan. Still no hd channels for me with the basic comcast cable with the built in tuner. no 2-1 4-1 7-1 56-1

·
Registered
45,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiu /forum/post/17575835

Still no WJBK, WDIV,WTVS or WXYZ in HD here in Plymouth. Any Canton/Northville/Plymouth people have the same issue? Don't know if it's changed in the last few years but if I remember right that was a separate area from Westland.

That is correct.

Quote:
Is there even anyone at Comcast who would know what I am talking about if I called? I'm guessing the regular phone jockeys would just tell me digital cable without a box is impossible :p

It may be difficult, but you can always try. The key is getting someone who knows what QAM is. Also, escalate to a supervisor.

A number of Comcast employees read this topic, so by now they are probably aware of the issue.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiu /forum/post/17575835

All I am getting is the standard cable distribution of those channels--not the -DT versions, and no subchannels. Still getting WWJ-DT though. So no Michigan football in HD, and no 56.3 (Create) shows recording this weekend.

I thought I lost all these channels as of Thursday evening too . . . until I checked my DVR and saw that they were all still there . . . then I realized that they had changed the local channel frequency for the first time in years and after rescanning for them I found them all.

They used to be in the 81-84 range, now they're in the 40s. Not sure it this helps you . . .

·
Registered
45,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvann /forum/post/17577679

. . then I realized that they had changed the local channel frequency for the first time in years and after rescanning for them I found them all.

Thanks for bringing that up, as in most cases a full rescan will once again find the missing channels.

If the rescan doesn't work, do a complete deletion of all channels, completely reboot the unit, a reset if available, and set up from scratch.

8401 - 8420 of 13137 Posts