AVS Forum banner

13301 - 13320 of 13355 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Don't know if this means anything, but Titan TV schedules are double listing the channels that support the new HEVC codecs aka 4k....
Do they know something we don't???

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently rescanned my tv and picked up a new channel on WADL, HSN on 38.7. Since this rescan, WADL 38.1 makes my tv respond to commands slowly (i.e. when pushing menu on the remote, the menu may not appear for up to 5 seconds) and has even caused my TV to reboot itself while simply tuned to the channel. This only occurs on 38.1. Can anyone else recreate this issue on their TV? I’ve never had an issue before like this and I’m hoping it’s not my TV.
Don’t be surprised if HSN is gone off from WPXD soon and GRIT from WADL replaces it. WPXD is to remain an ION affiliate under the recently approved Scripps purchase of ION Media. The holding company that bought WPXD has preferential rights to run Katz/Scripps subchannels like GRIT, Laff, CourtTV, Mystery, Bounce, etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Don’t be surprised if HSN is gone off from WPXD soon and GRIT from WADL replaces it. WPXD is to remain an ION affiliate under the recently approved Scripps purchase of ION Media. The holding company that bought WPXD has preferential rights to run Katz/Scripps subchannels like GRIT, Laff, CourtTV, Mystery, etc.
In fact, in the FCC filings for the station buyouts, Scripps actually stated point-blank that the deals to air HSN and QVC will be nullified by the time the deal is closed. So yeah, I'd definitely expect Grit to move to WPXD.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't know if this means anything, but Titan TV schedules are double listing the channels that support the new HEVC codecs aka 4k....
Do they know something we don't??? View attachment 3070887
I asked Zapperbox how the ATSC 3.0 and 1.0 channels would appear on their box. You will see the two feeds of the .1 main channels on their box. Both will appear as a .1 but will be color coded to tell the difference.
The ATSC 3.0 channels are HEVC, but it will be quite a while (if ever) for 4K HDR. Right now they are just duplicates of their ATSC 1.0 feeds resolution wise.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would not, be surprised if they broadcast the super bowl in 4k. Especially, since South Korea using atsc3, broadcast the Olympics in 4k over 2 years ago.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In fact, in the FCC filings for the station buyouts, Scripps actually stated point-blank that the deals to air HSN and QVC will be nullified by the time the deal is closed. So yeah, I'd definitely expect Grit to move to WPXD.
Wouldn’t surprise me if the whole Katz suite of subchannels moves over to WPXD.

I am wondering if WKBD will not pickup one of WXYZ’s subchannels per the previously announced plan and if WPXD will do it instead. It keeps the Katz channels “in-house” and gives Scripps the ability to dump the WWJ feed off from WMYD if they choose to do it. CBS owns WKBD and WWJ, so I am wondering if there is some conflict between the two.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,620 Posts
More info on 62-4 FAVE TV, I was flipping and saw CBS commercials for this years NFL playoffs and Super Bowl LV = ViacomCBS.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I asked Zapperbox how the ATSC 3.0 and 1.0 channels would appear on their box. You will see the two feeds of the .1 main channels on their box. Both will appear as a .1 but will be color coded to tell the difference.
The ATSC 3.0 channels are HEVC, but it will be quite a while (if ever) for 4K HDR. Right now they are just duplicates of their ATSC 1.0 feeds resolution wise.
That's convenient. Since I (Cleveland) have access to a station's DRT as well as the full power station itself, I see duplicate channels side by side. Very annoying, but they are sorted by the RF channel, (first set being RF 10 and the other being RF 18), so I know which is which.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the whole Katz suite of subchannels moves over to WPXD.
Not sure why Scripps just doesn't sell off the ION station without the Katz carriage agreement in markets that already have a Scripps O&O station. Just move all the Katz networks to the existing Scripps O&O station. Simple as that. While this may not be a big deal in Detroit, in Cleveland, the ION station is actually located in Akron, about 22 miles south/southeast of the Cleveland tower farm. Reception is not real good in the Cleveland suburbs and along the lake, and if your in between the two cities like I am, you'll have to rotate your antenna in order to reliably receive the ION station, then rotate it back for the Cleveland stations. Just place all the Katz networks on the existing Cleveland O&O station (WEWS) and call it a day. They already carry Grit, Laff & Court TV with nothing else outside of the Katz diginets, and moving Bounce & Mystery there with updated encoders shouldn't put much of a hamper on the picture quality. I sent an email to WEWS about this and all I got was a reply back from the GM telling me to call him, because I guess emailing was too much trouble. Never called him back, so I guess we'll see how it plays out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not sure why Scripps just doesn't sell off the ION station without the Katz carriage agreement in markets that already have a Scripps O&O station. Just move all the Katz networks to the existing Scripps O&O station. Simple as that. While this may not be a big deal in Detroit, in Cleveland, the ION station is actually located in Akron, about 22 miles south/southeast of the Cleveland tower farm. Reception is not real good in the Cleveland suburbs and along the lake, and if your in between the two cities like I am, you'll have to rotate your antenna in order to reliably receive the ION station, then rotate it back for the Cleveland stations. Just place all the Katz networks on the existing Cleveland O&O station (WEWS) and call it a day. They already carry Grit, Laff & Court TV with nothing else outside of the Katz diginets, and moving Bounce & Mystery there with updated encoders shouldn't put much of a hamper on the picture quality. I sent an email to WEWS about this and all I got was a reply back from the GM telling me to call him, because I guess emailing was too much trouble. Never called him back, so I guess we'll see how it plays out.
I read somewhere that their logic was that putting the Katz networks on Ion subchannels would lead to greater brand consistency across all markets, as well as being able to put more Katz networks in HD, however that would be accomplished.

That said, my question would be more what Scripps would do to the current Katz subchannels on the stations they already own. Would they sell the space to other programmers like Weigel and Sinclair, or would they keep running in-house programming there (like news)? Or would they just keep the lineup as-is for those markets where the Ion station isn't very good in certain areas, like you said? They haven't really been clear regarding that scenario.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Strange, I just tested 38.1 on my PC using an HDHomeRun tuner, and lo and behold, it will not play, just freezes......... Will test futher.

More testing, 38.7 plays for a minute then stops, but the other subchannels and the primary channel are not transmitting any data........... They must be testing something.
Can anyone else confirm issues with WADL?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I read somewhere that their logic was that putting the Katz networks on Ion subchannels would lead to greater brand consistency across all markets, as well as being able to put more Katz networks in HD, however that would be accomplished.

That said, my question would be more what Scripps would do to the current Katz subchannels on the stations they already own. Would they sell the space to other programmers like Weigel and Sinclair, or would they keep running in-house programming there (like news)? Or would they just keep the lineup as-is for those markets where the Ion station isn't very good in certain areas, like you said? They haven't really been clear regarding that scenario.
I never really watched ION (then PAX) in the analog days as my reception of them was very iffy. I always wanted them to switch with the local Univision affiliate, which was useless to me, but offered a watchable signal. By the time my affiliate got a digital signal out, PAX was long gone, and it was the ION that currently exists as of now. While it's been determined that the frequency of my ION affiliate (RF 22) can be moved to the Cleveland tower farm, it will have to be re-patterned in order to prevent interference to WBGU and WDWO-CD. While this would be somewhat more practical, I doubt that whoever owns the station will go through the effort of moving it. Their RF 22 broadcast, which was repacked from RF 23, was moved to another tower just down the street. Plus, my ION affiliate is sharing it's frequency with WDLI Canton, a former TBN affiliate which now airs ION Plus. Rumors predict that the new owners will return that license for WDLI and that channel allocation will cease to exist, though if they hold on to it, they could use it for cable coverage for a particular diginet, possibly in HD.

Though the Katz networks are nice, they are very limited with their offerings, which in turn causes them to be very repetitive, particularly Laff. I can't count how many times Home Improvement has been cycled through, and I usually end up seeing an episode that literally aired days ago. Probably would be nice if they combined Grit, Laff and Mystery into one network and free up some bandwidth for other networks that stations might want to carry.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I never really watched ION (then PAX) in the analog days as my reception of them was very iffy. I always wanted them to switch with the local Univision affiliate, which was useless to me, but offered a watchable signal. By the time my affiliate got a digital signal out, PAX was long gone, and it was the ION that currently exists as of now. While it's been determined that the frequency of my ION affiliate (RF 22) can be moved to the Cleveland tower farm, it will have to be re-patterned in order to prevent interference to WBGU and WDWO-CD. While this would be somewhat more practical, I doubt that whoever owns the station will go through the effort of moving it. Their RF 22 broadcast, which was repacked from RF 23, was moved to another tower just down the street. Plus, my ION affiliate is sharing it's frequency with WDLI Canton, a former TBN affiliate which now airs ION Plus. Rumors predict that the new owners will return that license for WDLI and that channel allocation will cease to exist, though if they hold on to it, they could use it for cable coverage for a particular diginet, possibly in HD.

Though the Katz networks are nice, they are very limited with their offerings, which in turn causes them to be very repetitive, particularly Laff. I can't count how many times Home Improvement has been cycled through, and I usually end up seeing an episode that literally aired days ago. Probably would be nice if they combined Grit, Laff and Mystery into one network and free up some bandwidth for other networks that stations might want to carry.
I haven't watched much of the Katz networks, mainly because Court TV and Mystery are the only ones in my market, but I get where you're coming from. Given how hard it is to buy programming (and Weigel having so much pull thanks to the success of MeTV probably isn't helping), it becomes way too easy to just burn through shows just to get viewers. Just look at Ion's marathon format. It's definitely drawn viewers (to the point where it beats out The CW, something Pax never could), but the schedule is basically one or two shows on a given day. I do wish there was more variety with these diginets, but it's not like rights will just magically get cheaper, especially with certain types of programming (especially stuff like kids' shows, animation, and high fantasy genres) being hogged by the streaming services thanks to corporate synergy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can anyone else confirm issues with WADL?
Ever since they went to their post-repack 600kW signal, it is much weaker for me. I get the Quest and Crime Network from WTOL from Toledo anyway, so on rescans I just delete WADL and it’s subchannels. I delete shopping and religious crap as well.

So I do confirm WADL’s signal is crap...lol

WTOL is increasing its power soon from 16kW to 26 kW on RF11, so that may be another option for you or ANYONE ELSE who use WADL just for Quest or Crime Network.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ever since they went to their post-repack 600kW signal, it is much weaker for me. I get the Quest and Crime Network from WTOL from Toledo anyway, so on rescans I just delete WADL and it’s subchannels. I delete shopping and religious crap as well.

So I do confirm WADL’s signal is crap...lol

WTOL is increasing its power soon from 16kW to 26 kW on RF11, so that may be another option for you or ANYONE ELSE who use WADL just for Quest or Crime Network.
Fair enough lol I only live 15 minutes from the tower so the signal strength isn’t an issue. I just found it so odd that it was essentially crashing my TV and causing it to reboot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fair enough lol I only live 15 minutes from the tower so the signal strength isn’t an issue. I just found it so odd that it was essentially crashing my TV and causing it to reboot.
Yup. Signal is strong for you. They are monkeying with the data stream for your TV to crash. I’m sure it will clear up at some point.

·
Super Moderator
18,213 Posts
Where ya been? The Rose Bowl has been ESPN's property for ten years, now. :) I can think of a couple of ways you can watch for free that we can discuss on AVSForum:

1) Sports Bar

2) Free trial of a streaming MPVD that carries ESPN (assuming such a trial exists).

Personally, I prefer the Sports Bar as it helps the local economy and we don't have to cook nor clean up. Tip heavily. Those servers need the help.

All else fails, there's always the radio.

:)

13301 - 13320 of 13355 Posts