AVS Forum banner

13321 - 13340 of 13355 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
A little update on the SiliconDust Connect 4k tuner. Today, they released a firmware that separated the HD channel from the 4K channel.
Previously, as an example, channel 2.1 was both HD and 4K, so when you turn the channel 2.1, you had no idea which tuner you were actually getting.

Now they have taken the 4K channels and assigned 100 to the numbers. So now the 4K version of channel 2.1 is now 102.1. That means that I can now select what I want to watch the same broadcast and either HD or 4K. Of course, at this time nothing is being broadcast in 4k, however the 4K channel is converted to HEVC which gives a much lower bit rate.
I watched a couple of the NFL games tonight that were broadcast in "4k", using an Nvidia shield feeding into a Yamaha receiver, then to my new Vizio TV that supports HDR and Dolby vision. The picture quality was just outstanding. The audio output was inverted, meaning, that the center channel audio was sent to the rear and front speakers.
In summation, SiliconDust is making some very good progress.

Now just waiting for the broadcasters, to do their magic and start broadcasting in 4k.

·
Super Moderator
18,213 Posts
I think you're conflating "4k" with ATSC 3.0. There were no NFL games produced in 4k, today. There is no FOX regular programming produced nor distributed to stations in 4k nor are there any plans to do so.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think you're conflating "4k" with ATSC 3.0. There were no NFL games produced in 4k, today. There is no FOX regular programming produced nor distributed to stations in 4k nor are there any plans to do so.
I think I noted in the post that they are NOT broadcasting in 4k at this time. The point that I tried to make is that they separated the ATSC 3.0 and ATSC 1.0 from the channel selection. NOW, it is able to watch or schedule a recording using which ever tuner you want.

Which came first, hardware or software.

·
Super Moderator
18,213 Posts
I think I noted in the post that they are NOT broadcasting in 4k at this time.
That's not how I read this:
I watched a couple of the NFL games tonight that were broadcast in "4k"
The point that I tried to make is that they separated the ATSC 3.0 and ATSC 1.0 from the channel selection. NOW, it is able to watch or schedule a recording using which ever tuner you want.
Correct terminology is important on a technical forum such as this. Otherwise, members are led to believe things that are not factual and that misinformation spreads. I would not be surprised to start seeing posts in other areas claiming "Detroit viewers are getting 4K Sunday NFL games!!!" We've already had to tamp that sort of misinformation down a number of times.

Even the article @LNEWoLF linked is telling in that they use the term "4K quality" which reminds me of the HD Radio selling point, "CD Quality." It ain't 4K and probably won't ever be. You might get some HDR (I think WMYD has hinted at that), but with all they plan to use WMYD for, anything beyond 1080i/p isn't going to be a priority. That could change if Sony, LG, et al decide to back the Brinks truck up to Broadcast House.

Thanks.

Reactions: joblo

·
Registered
380 Posts
That's not how I read this:

Correct terminology is important on a technical forum such as this. Otherwise, members are led to believe things that are not factual and that misinformation spreads. I would not be surprised to start seeing posts in other areas claiming "Detroit viewers are getting 4K Sunday NFL games!!!" We've already had to tamp that sort of misinformation down a number of times.

Even the article @LNEWoLF linked is telling in that they use the term "4K quality" which reminds me of the HD Radio selling point, "CD Quality." It ain't 4K and probably won't ever be. You might get some HDR (I think WMYD has hinted at that), but with all they plan to use WMYD for, anything beyond 1080i/p isn't going to be a priority. That could change if Sony, LG, et al decide to back the Brinks truck up to Broadcast House.

Thanks.
You are the broadcasting expert and authority on media distribution, I don't question that.
When I try to explain something, I am not sure what words to use. I am not sure using the terms ATSC 3.0 or HEVC conveys the same idea as using the term "4k" that everyone is familiar with.
But, I will take note to use the correct verbiage on this forum. But then again, I don't have anywhere close to the knowledge that you have.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I interpreted it that he watched in 4k when I read ''I watched a couple of the NFL games tonight that were broadcast in "4k" .
ATSC 3.0 and HEVC is no indication of what resolution is being sent/watched.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I interpreted it that he watched in 4k when I read ''I watched a couple of the NFL games tonight that were broadcast in "4k" .
ATSC 3.0 and HEVC is no indication of what resolution is being sent/watched.
If you also read this part that I wrote, I said >> "Now they have taken the 4K channels and assigned 100 to the numbers. So now the 4K version of channel 2.1 is now 102.1. That means that I can now select what I want to watch the same broadcast and either HD or 4K. Of course, at this time nothing is being broadcast in 4k, however the 4K channel is converted to HEVC which gives a much lower bit rate"

When I said this >>> "I watched a couple of the NFL games tonight that were broadcast in "4k", ", I enclosed the "4k" in quotes, being factious, like the "4k" antenna being hawked on TV commercials ..........

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well, there are a least 2 of us who didn't get your humor or sarcasm.
If you would have used a wink emoji or something then we may have got it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ok, I confess, I ordered one of those "4k" TV antenna that sticks on the window so I can get FREE 4k TV........... As seen on TV. Now, is that a fact or sarcasm??

Edit: Here is my search for 4k Super Bowl from last year........

·
Registered
436 Posts
I am curious about how the Detroit stations broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 are being hosted. Are they all sharing a single RF channel? And I am also curious about the resolution they are broadcasting in, i.e has anyone dug into the transport stream details to see what format (480p, 720p etc).

·
Super Moderator
18,213 Posts
I am curious about how the Detroit stations broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 are being hosted. Are they all sharing a single RF channel? And I am also curious about the resolution they are broadcasting in, i.e has anyone dug into the transport stream details to see what format (480p, 720p etc).
I think that information's all upthread starting about here. RF 31 is the host and the format's are all the same: WDIV is 1080i, WXYZ is 720p, etc.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think that information's all upthread starting about here. RF 31 is the host and the format's are all the same: WDIV is 1080i, WXYZ is 720p, etc.
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I imagine the stations are or will be touting their new "crystal clear UHD" format signals, all while they are packed into the same RF channel, at the same or worse resolution than they use for ATSC 1.0, lol. But at the very least, the ATSC 3.0 format will provide for many more of the (lower) resolution subchannels to be packed into each RF slot, once there is a complete changeover, even if broadcasting in 4k is not used much.

·
Super Moderator
18,213 Posts
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I imagine the stations are or will be touting their new "crystal clear UHD" format signals, all while they are packed into the same RF channel, at the same or worse resolution than they use for ATSC 1.0, lol. But at the very least, the ATSC 3.0 format will provide for many more of the (lower) resolution subchannels to be packed into each RF slot, once there is a complete changeover, even if broadcasting in 4k is not used much.
I think - also upthread - there's a reference to WMYD doing some HDR programming, but nobody's doing anything more than that as the programming they carry isn't distributed as such and - to my knowledge - none of the stations is investing in the necessary equipment for a whole new, separate air chain. Until the networks and syndicators show any interest in distributing content in higher resolutions to stations, there's no point in making the investment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven’t seen any promotion of it so far on the ATSC 1.0 channels. I think they are mainly testing ATSC 3.0 right now.

·
Super Moderator
18,213 Posts
I haven’t seen any promotion of it so far on the ATSC 1.0 channels. I think they are mainly testing ATSC 3.0 right now.
It'd be counterproductive to promote something the audience cannot access.

13321 - 13340 of 13355 Posts