AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my stb last week and last night I started receiving Detroit DTV stations. After moving my antenna slightly to try to pull in 2-1 a little better after I scanned I got all the Detroit stations. I heard about this from other members, but from what I remember they all had either outdoor or attic antennas. I got to see the King of Queens and Yes, Dear in HD. Later that night I caught Leno too. The Detroit stations were actually coming in with less drop outs than the Cleveland stations. Right before I turned off the TV (around 12:08) the Detroit stations were starting to not come in as well. This morning I checked and they were gone. The weather really hasn't changed since then (both here and Detroit.) Is this ionospheric skipping? What percent of the time are Detroit channels available to Cleveland people? I live in Lake County so anyone's experience there would be most relative to me. I actually liked the upconverted pictures better on the Detroit stations, they seemed to be more detailed than their Cleveland counterparts.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody else here gets the Detroit stations from Cleveland? I got them again last night and again the signal started to drop off toward 11:30 pm. I wanted to know if most people get the Detroit signals most of the time, half the time or almost none of the time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off thanks for the info. I did that and couldn't find it (I was one of the posters.) I looked again and found that it was in the programming forum. The info still had many ambiguous words such as sometimes and often. I'm looking for reliability in reception. If the Detroit channels come in as often as they have this week, that would be great. But if it is just because of the weather this week, then I may have to look into alternatives in antennas, etc. Sometimes can mean 10% or 50% of the time. Often can mean 80% of the time or it could mean 50%. I'm looking for a little more definitive response. I know that reception is also not absolute and that a definitive response may also not be possible.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I'm 55ish miles West of the Detroit transmitter arrays and I don't always get a solid lock (Faux is the worst - in a few ways http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ). I have a CM4248 and CM7775 on a rotor. Some of them are not at full power. PBS drops at midnight until 9am. I would not be surprised if you were to see hit/miss from down there, but then again Lake Erie is on your side.

Good luck!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Hell is somewhere near 55 miles West of Detroit? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

I'm ecstatic that I get the Detroit stations, hopefully I will be able to bring them in on Sunday and watch the NFL games broadcast from Detroit. Anything has got to be better than Cleveland Browns football, oh wait a minute... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

At least I'll get to see a different AFC game. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif (and hopefully some Steelers action.)

[This message has been edited by Wooderson (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
There was a fairly lengthy thread in this forum on this topic only a few weeks to a month ago. The search facility will help you find it.

Enjoy!

------------------

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Yes, approx. 55-60 miles due West is Hell, Michigan

Sadly, the LieDowns will be playing on Standard Definition MNF. That makes two good reasons not to watch.

------------------

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The digital upconvert PQ of OTA is much better than the analog cable I currently have at my place. I would love some HD MNF, but that definitely isn't going to happen this year. It looks like I can get both the Ravens/Titans game and the Vikes/Saints game if I can pull in Detroit. The Fox station is usually harder to get though, so the NFC game may be harder for me to get.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far it seems like about 40% of the time the Detroit statins are available. It also seems that CBS 10 is easier to pick up when I can't get a Detroit signal. I couldn't get any Detroit channels on Sunday though and was stuck watching the Browns game.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.