AVS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
captainbrent & bryansj: let me make sure I have this correct, because I'm kinda new to this.

I'm not new to computers, no; I work in the tech field, and also put together my own custom-build desktop PCs. I'm new to this 4K UHD discs and playing it on the PC thing.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I put my most recent build together with playing 4K discs in mind; my system meets and exceeds the requirements. So even though I have a system that can supposedly play - legitimately & legally play - 4K discs, I always seem to run into problems.

So, ripping the disc to my hard drive (really, it's an SSD) was the next thing to come to mind.

So let me make sure I have this right: These so-called "friendly drives" for 4K discs: they can't actually play a 4K disc, but they can "see" them, "read" them? And then that's where you can use some UHD ripping software, like AnyDVD or MakeMKV, and rip the data off onto your HDD/ SDD?

That these "friendly drives" are really just Blu-ray drives? Able to playback Blu-ray discs, but not playback 4K discs, only read/ see them? I have that correct?
Pez

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
captainbrent & bryansj: let me make sure I have this correct, because I'm kinda new to this.

I'm not new to computers, no; I work in the tech field, and also put together my own custom-build desktop PCs. I'm new to this 4K UHD discs and playing it on the PC thing.

Like I mentioned in my original post, I put my most recent build together with playing 4K discs in mind; my system meets and exceeds the requirements. So even though I have a system that can supposedly play - legitimately & legally play - 4K discs, I always seem to run into problems.

So, ripping the disc to my hard drive (really, it's an SSD) was the next thing to come to mind.

So let me make sure I have this right: These so-called "friendly drives" for 4K discs: they can't actually play a 4K disc, but they can "see" them, "read" them? And then that's where you can use some UHD ripping software, like AnyDVD or MakeMKV, and rip the data off onto your HDD/ SDD?

That these "friendly drives" are really just Blu-ray drives? Able to playback Blu-ray discs, but not playback 4K discs, only read/ see them? I have that correct?
Pez
That's correct. You also can only rip the discs that have leaked keys. So with a friendly drive you can't watch everything.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Some PC ROM drives read all 4k discs. Software players decode and render what the ROM drive is reading such as PowerDVD and DVDFab Player Ultra. A ROM drive does not read and render unless it is a standalone dedicated. The entire chain must be compliant or the weak link interrupts the processing. Ripping is another story. Studios don't want us ripping. They never have. Some clever folks have extracted/acquired 'keys' that can be used in conjunction with clever software to rip anyway by allowing the processing to confirm and continue. These 'keys' are limited.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Pez
Yes, pretty much what bryansj replied to you.

You also can only rip the discs that have leaked keys.
Well, I think that you are aware of this but that is only true if using DeUHD. MakeMKV and AnyDVD can use the leaked keys but with the development of the hashed keys and sending in the dumps to create the hashed keys, leaked keys are no longer required.

These 'keys' are limited.
The leaked keys yes, but with the hashed keys, I believe that's almost unlimited...for now.

Reactions: Salty01

·
Registered
184 Posts
thats right.. all the uhd-bd are cracked with the hashed keys (Makemkv). DeUHD is now pretty much useless.

·
Registered
227 Posts
thats right.. all the uhd-bd are cracked with the hashed keys (Makemkv). DeUHD is now pretty much useless.
Yes and no. The technique used via MakeMKV & AnyDVD differs from DeUHD.

DeUHD works with some certified UHD drives and UHD friendly drives. MakeMKV & AnyDVD only work with UHD Friendly drives. IMHO, that and the difference in how it works make DeUHD not useless at all. DeUHD is catching up on the number of discs supported, as well. Is DeUHD a lot more expensive? Absolutely. Is it another tool to have in one's toolbox. Absolutely. Is it for everyone? Probably not.

YMMV

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thank you, guys. I'm educated a lot from this topic.
1. Any body please kindly shows us the differences between DeUHD and MakeMKV & AnyDVD (just list main technical points) when ripping a 4K UHD blu-ray disc?
2. Also, the difference between leaked keys and hashed keys? And finally,
3. I know some certified UHD drives that support DeUHD but what are UHD friendly drives? Where can I find it?

My 4K UHD blu-ray disc now filling up my TV case. Need to rip it into my Nas ASAP.
Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
Thank you, guys. I'm educated a lot from this topic.
1. Any body please kindly shows us the differences between DeUHD and MakeMKV & AnyDVD (just list main technical points) when ripping a 4K UHD blu-ray disc?
2. Also, the difference between leaked keys and hashed keys? And finally,
3. I know some certified UHD drives that support DeUHD but what are UHD friendly drives? Where can I find it?

My 4K UHD blu-ray disc now filling up my TV case. Need to rip it into my Nas ASAP.
Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it.
I'd suggest getting a friendly drive that is compatible with AnyDVD and MakeMKV. With a friendly drive you can't play back UHD straight from disc, but doing that is expensive (proper CPU and PowerDVD). DeUHD is expensive also and with MakeMKV and AnyDVD now providing a solution there isn't much reason to go their route.

Get a friendly drive and rip with AnyDVD or MakeMKV then playback with your software of choice. No expensive hardware or software required.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
With AnyDVD and a UHD friendly drive you CAN play back UHD discs directly

·
Registered
255 Posts
I guess that I don't particularly see the value of being able to do live playback. If I cared about that I'd just get a UHD player.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I guess that I don't particularly see the value of being able to do live playback. If I cared about that I'd just get a UHD player.
What if you rent a disc, have a friend that brings one over or want to play before you have time to rip?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
you buy a UHD player, like he said lol.
If you have a computer that can play back UHD files and an optical drive that is UHD friendly, then you have a player. All you need to add is a piece of software to decode in real time (AnyDVD)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
If you have a computer that can play back UHD files and an optical drive that is UHD friendly, then you have a player. All you need to add is a piece of software to decode in real time (AnyDVD)
Na the post you quoted, the dude said if he cared about that he would buy a UHD player.

You replied with scenarios where he would care about the above... so that poster would just buy a UHD player.

401 - 420 of 460 Posts