AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a reasonably priced device which can convert the audio in an HDMI connection while preserving the video. For the audio conversion, I need Dolby-encoded surround sound, at least 5.1 channels, converted to LPCM. So the HDMI input would be video + Dolby surround sound, and the HDMI output would be video + multi-channel LPCM. The use case is so I can use an HDMI video capture card that can capture multiple-channel audio, but only in LPCM format. Does anyone know of a device that can do this, either as it's main function, or perhaps as a side-effect of other functions it has?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Easiest way is to use a device that can decode to multichannel PCM already. Game consoles natively do LPCM for audio, and most higher end devices like Blu Ray players will have multichannel decoders to LPCM format built in.

What is your source? There may also be a much easier way to get what you want.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Easiest way is to use a device that can decode to multichannel PCM already. Game consoles natively do LPCM for audio, and most higher end devices like Blu Ray players will have multichannel decoders to LPCM format built in.

What is your source? There may also be a much easier way to get what you want.
Thanks for the reply. I have an old PS3 and an old Sony BDP-S470 Blu-Ray player. They will decode to multichannel LPCM, so I don't have an immediate problem. But I also have a current Sony Blu-Ray player, a BDP-S6700. Even though it's a high end model that can do 4K upscaling, it only outputs 2-channel LPCM. In the same way that it's getting much harder to find receivers with full multichannel preamp outputs, it seems that multichannel LPCM is also becoming deprecated. So I was hoping there might be some reasonable solution for doing the decoding external to the source.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
The 6700 isn't a high end player. It's just a low end player even compared to it's previous model. By high end, I really mean high end players - Oppo back in the day, but these days the higher end UHD players work fine.

But honestly, it's easier to just rip the Blu-Ray directly and import them into your editor.

Plus i think current game consoles decode to multichannel as well.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have an old PS3 and an old Sony BDP-S470 Blu-Ray player. They will decode to multichannel LPCM, so I don't have an immediate problem. But I also have a current Sony Blu-Ray player, a BDP-S6700. Even though it's a high end model that can do 4K upscaling, it only outputs 2-channel LPCM. In the same way that it's getting much harder to find receivers with full multichannel preamp outputs, it seems that multichannel LPCM is also becoming deprecated. So I was hoping there might be some reasonable solution for doing the decoding external to the source.
The PS3 does output multichannel LPCM a well as Bitstream. The problem you're probably having with using the PS3 for multichannel decoding is that the PS3 detects the number of channels the device it's connected to can handle and only outputs that number of channels. So if you're device only accepts or is set to 2-channel then the PS3 will only output 2-chnnel. You might be experiencing the same problem with your Blu-Ray player.

Are you sure the software you're using is capable of performing in a multi channel mode? It sounds like the software or hardware is only 2-channel so your Blu-Ray players are only outputting 2-channel to match the number of channels the device they are connected to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 6700 isn't a high end player. It's just a low end player even compared to it's previous model. By high end, I really mean high end players - Oppo back in the day, but these days the higher end UHD players work fine.

But honestly, it's easier to just rip the Blu-Ray directly and import them into your editor.

Plus i think current game consoles decode to multichannel as well.
Thanks for pointing out that there are better alternatives to the 6700. In case it helps someone else reading this thread, I found that the Sony UHP-H1 player decodes audio formats including Dolby to multi-channel LCPM. It does that for both discs and apps. The UHP-H1 has been discontinued, but used players are available on eBay (and discounted.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts