AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a question about that small box on the Bose Cinemate GS Series II where the optical out from the tv plugs in to. Does that device have a name? Do vendors sell that device? Is it a small amp? I was interested in purchasing one and using my own speakers/sub. I don't have the room or interest in a standard receiver since i'm only using 2.1 speakers.

Thanks.

Edited: I did some Googling is the device an Audio decoder/converter? I found on amazon some devices that take in an optical connection and then on the other side have 6 RCA outputs (FR,FL,Center,2xSurrounds and sub). Would this be what i would need to use the optical out from the tv to my two satellite speakers(standard speaker wire l/r connection in the back) and my powered sub?

I forget if we can post links to sites such as amazon but this is the stuff i am talking about:

Etekcity Digital to Analog Audio Decoder/Converter/Adapter - Converts Optical and Coaxial Digital Audio Signal to 5.1 Analog Output and Supports Dolby Digital, DTS, LPCM, & AC3 Formats

KEEDOX 5.1-Channel DTS/AC-3 Home Theater Audio Decoder RCA Decode DTS / Dolby AC-3 Digital Audio Source F PC PS3 Laptop HD Player DM500/DM800

So it seems like i would still need an amplifier to power speakers. Man i am out of my element with all this stuff.

I checked on my subwoofer. Let me list the inputs and outputs.

1 x Coax Sub IN

Set of Left & Right(4 terminals) Speaker IN Connectors

Set of Left & Right (4 terminals) Speaker OUT connectors

The speaker outs say Only use if your receiver doesn't have a LINE IN.

Can i somehow use the sub as my amplifier for this?

Thanks and Sorry for being all over the place.

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
You do need amplifiers to drive your speakers. By itself, the subwoofer can't do it. It just "passes through" the speaker signals. It can't generate them from the "line level" inputs. (Except when you buy the least expensive speaker sets or Home Theater in a Box sets. Those often do include some amplification in the devices they call subwoofers -- which aren't really subwoofers. They usually are far too small to be able to provide the lowest frequencies, and will work only with the speakers they're sold with.)

The standard way to provide the amplification is with an audio/video receiver, which includes digital audio decoders and analog amplifiers. The least expensive receivers (typically costing less than $300) can handle as many as 5 speakers plus subwoofer, but work just as well with 2 speakers plus subwoofer. (Two channel equipment usually costs a lot more, mostly due to economies of scale in manufacturing. Many more multichannel receivers are made.)

Speakers and room acoustics have the greatest effect on the quality of the sound you hear. Electronics is a distant third. The standard rule-of-thumb is to spend about 2/3 of your budget on speakers and 1/3 on electronics.

Bose equipment usually is not the best choice: they spend their budget on advertising, not on hardware. They also have a very large markup, which is why electronics stores like to sell them.

I hope these comments help a little.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Please list the exact model number and type of your whole current system.

There is not enough specific information in your first post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts