AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, but here it goes.

I have just built my new rptv into a wall that was hallow in my basement and it looks incredible. The only problem I now have is that the Component rack I currently have has to either be in the way, or I can put it in the closet on the other side of the wall. The only problem this presents is that I need to have something that can control all the components without the remotes actually being able to see "eye to eye" with the actual reciever, dvd, etc.

Does such a device exist???

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oiskaio
Does such a device exist???
Yes, you need an infrared repeater system from a company such as Niles or Xantech. It will most likely end up costing you somewhere between $100 - $200. If you do a search on the word "Xantech", you should find more info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are keeping the factory remotes, a repeater is perfect. Depending on your budget and wishes, the Pronto Pro, and the RF extender makes a sweet solution. It comes with an IR blaster, and 4 IR stick on blasters. And it integrates all your remotes, does macros, etc. I just went this route and even though I have barely learned to program it, I already love it. Also you could go Pronto mono and repeater. Lots of options. Add a couple of Lutron Spacer dimmers and you have an awsome solution. One touch movies.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Agreed, a Pronto Pro RF remote is also an excellent solution. Retail is a little over 1K, I'm not sure what street prices are.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the replies that you guys have given.

Is there anywhere online that I can look at the pronto pro??

Also for those that mention the Niles I found these components online at onecall.com and at worthdist.com, however I can't tell what the prices on the worth website are because they are password protected.

Right now, unless I can see the pronto, I think I may go with the niles. Does anyone know of any other sites to purchase this from??

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
As far as vendors go, I'm sure some other people will offer ideas. In the mean time, check our www.remotecentral.com for all the info on Pronto you could ever want. I'm sure there are plenty of vendors that advertise there as well as posts on the subject.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
David:

I just saw the post on Remote Central and came here to post a link to it and you beat me to it! We quit using Pronto's some time ago and we never used the Pro model period.

·
Registered
17 Posts
check out smarthome.com. they have a device that has a tiny IR receiver to put in the viewing area, a confirmation LED that blinks to indicate that it picked up the IR signal and a ribbon cable with seven IR blasters that will control up to seven components in your rack. i have used the system (not to solve your problem but simply so I could keep the equipment cabinet closed) and it works great.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Radio-Shack has a 7-in-1 Remote that has RF repeater capabilities.

It might be just enough for what you want and is less than $100.

Andy.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have had great success in setting up the Pronto remotes, from the TSU1000 to the Pro. The RF can be a bit tricky but nonetheless it can be made reliable. There are a few quirks with the device though when trying to combine IR and RF control.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.