AVS Forum banner

6821 - 6840 of 6872 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6780_60#post_24378815


You could say that about Dexter concerning every single season.
True.

Quote:
The answer to your question has no definitive answer.
That's why I asked it as a hypothetical.

Quote:
]it doesn't have anything to do with what we were discussing.
You get this after reading my post in its entirety?

Hmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6780_60#post_24378821


If Hanna had been caught there's not much Dexter could do. Breaking people out of prison wasn't really his forté.
I wasn't thinking of prison-breaking.

I was thinking more of evidence being altered or going missing (something that happened more the once over the years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6780_60#post_24378888


But it's so easy for me to go back and re-format? Pass.
Can't say I blame you if you "Pass."

My record in debates at AVS is fairly good.


However, it is nice to see your beliefs are firmly held, but not worth defending.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24378888


But it's so easy for me to go back and re-format? Pass.

I'm not going to ask you to reformat your previous posts, but I'd certainly appreciate future posts being quoted properly. It makes it hard for me to understand what you are saying and what you are quoting.


I literally ignored both of those recent posts, because they were too confusing as to who was saying what.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6780_60#post_24379993


I'm not going to ask you to reformat your previous posts, but I'd certainly appreciate future posts being quoted properly. It makes it hard for me to understand what you are saying and what you are quoting.


I literally ignored both of those recent posts, because they were too confusing as to who was saying what.
A conspiracy theorist might say it was by design, but I wouldn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
well, at least we have a lively discussion going...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24379837


Can't say I blame you if you "Pass."

My record in debates at AVS is fairly good.


However, it is nice to see your beliefs are firmly held, but not worth defending.

LMAO. You refuse to respond to my post- and accuse me of not defending my beliefs. Priceless. I have no doubt your record in debates is good- IN YOUR MIND. You seem to have a way of spinning things your way. I doubt if we would have got anywhere in our debate, given your propensity for twisting the facts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24379993


I'm not going to ask you to reformat your previous posts, but I'd certainly appreciate future posts being quoted properly. It makes it hard for me to understand what you are saying and what you are quoting.


I literally ignored both of those recent posts, because they were too confusing as to who was saying what.

It's really that hard to tell the difference between the post quoted and my replies which are in bold? I never realized that was so confusing, but I will quote the way most do, though I missed the thread where the proper way to format quotes is spelled out. Could you (or someone) point me to it? Thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6780_60#post_24381089


LMAO. You refuse to respond to my post- and accuse me of not defending my beliefs. Priceless. I have no doubt your record in debates is good- IN YOUR MIND. You seem to have a way of spinning things your way. I doubt if we would have got anywhere in our debate, given your propensity for twisting the facts.
The ball is in your court, Jim.



For some reason, I have to repeat myself....again:
FORMAT YOUR POST AS AVS MEMBERS TRADITIONAL HAVE ALWAYS DONE WHEN QUOTING FELLOW MEMBERS AND I WILL RESPOND TO YOUR POST POINT BY POINT.
Otherwise, I have to conclude you're not serious in continuing this discussion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24380238


A conspiracy theorist might say it was by design, but I wouldn't.

No- you just imply it, w/ your lil winkie face. LOL. You do love to twist the truth, don't you?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6780_60#post_24381131


No- you just imply it, w/ your lil winkie face. LOL. You do love to twist the truth, don't you?
Dude, the "winkie face" means it's a joke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24381128


The ball is in your court, Jim.



For some reason, I have to repeat myself....again:
FORMAT YOUR POST AS AVS MEMBERS TRADITIONAL HAVE ALWAYS DONE WHEN QUOTING FELLOW MEMBERS AND I WILL RESPOND TO YOUR POST POINT BY POINT.
Otherwise, I have to conclude you're not serious in continuing this discussion.

Who made you the boss of this thread- or anything- that you feel you can tell me what to do? You can conclude whatever you want (as you are wont to do), but bottom line, I made my points and it was you who refused to respond- I'm only refusing to follow your instructions. Forgive me for not following tradition, but if I was unwilling to do the extra work before, I'm even more unwilling now that I see how your mind works. There were some clues previously, but your spinning of this makes it all too clear.


I have no doubt in your head this means a victory in this debate- Congratulations!


Personally, I don't debate to try and win; I just enjoy the exchange of ideas, seeing how other people think and having my own ideas challenged and having to defend them (and alter them if I can't). But if you have such a need to win- it's all yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24381125


It's really that hard to tell the difference between the post quoted and my replies which are in bold? I never realized that was so confusing, but I will quote the way most do, though I missed the thread where the proper way to format quotes is spelled out. Could you (or someone) point me to it? Thanks.

Yes, it is difficult because you're not following an accepted convention of quoting users. It's not "written" anywhere because it is the same convention that all webforums use, most commenting systems, slashcode, reddit, and any number of other websites where users come together to discuss. The intent is to clearly identify the user who is being quoted, and clearly identify the user who is speaking. Otherwise, it looks like a single user alternating between bold and regular text. That can get confusing, as bold is typically used for emphasis and not for alternating between speakers.


Sorry I can't point you to an official AVS link that shows quote formatting, but I did a google and found this website that talks about bulletin board etiquette.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24381154


Dude, the "winkie face" means it's a joke.

So- you're saying you were implying nothing? Jokes usually have an element of truth in them. I call BS- I don't believe for a minute you weren't trying to imply something. I could be wrong, but given your penchant for playing fast and loose w/ the truth, I have good reason to disbelieve you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24381232


Yes, it is difficult because you're not following an accepted convention of quoting users. It's not "written" anywhere because it is the same convention that all webforums use, most commenting systems, slashcode, reddit, and any number of other websites where users come together to discuss. The intent is to clearly identify the user who is being quoted, and clearly identify the user who is speaking. Otherwise, it looks like a single user alternating between bold and regular text. That can get confusing, as bold is typically used for emphasis and not for alternating between speakers.


Sorry I can't point you to an official AVS link that shows quote formatting, but I did a google and found this website that talks about bulletin board etiquette.

Well, I do most of my posting/reading at SHTV forums and I've seen an abundance of quotes done the way I did it, so I assumed it was a matter of choice. I will post in the commonly accepted manner (better wording imo than "proper") from here on out. But I still fail to see how it is so difficult to comprehend while reading that the regular text is what is quoted, while the reply is in bold. As I said, it is not uncommon (though certainly not the norm) to see things quoted that way. I never had any difficulty parsing those posts.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
18,931 Posts

Take it to PM guys...this thread is for people who want to discuss Dexter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24379837


You get this after reading my post in its entirety?

Yup.


I don't doubt he would do what he could to save/rescue Hannah, but we were talking about why he left them behind, not what lengths he'd go to rescue them. All I am saying is a fear of getting caught was not why Dexter left, and while I didn't care much for the last season, the final scene was a pretty fitting end for Dexter Morgan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24382252


Yup.


I don't doubt he would do what he could to save/rescue Hannah, but we were talking about why he left them behind, not what lengths he'd go to rescue them. All I am saying is a fear of getting caught was not why Dexter left, and while I didn't care much for the last season, the final scene was a pretty fitting end for Dexter Morgan.

Agreed, to both points. I thought the series end was excellent. Its how they got there I had problems with.



I'm also sure that in the mental state he was in after Deb's death his own safety was the last thing on his mind. He wanted to protect Hannah and Harrison...from being caught, but even more, from himself.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nuance

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24382252


Yup.


I don't doubt he would do what he could to save/rescue Hannah, but we were talking about why he left them behind, not what lengths he'd go to rescue them. All I am saying is a fear of getting caught was not why Dexter left, and while I didn't care much for the last season, the final scene was a pretty fitting end for Dexter Morgan.

It is frustrating when people have difficulty understanding and/or sticking to lines of reasoning.


I also thought the last scene- the whole finale, was fitting. A great finale- no, but I didn't find it nearly as bad as a lot of people seem to have. But Dex's fate and why he chose what he did were very apropos, imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24382586


I thought the series end was excellent. Its how they got there I had problems with. I'm also sure that in the mental state he was in after Deb's death his own safety was the last thing on his mind. He wanted to protect Hannah and Harrison...from being caught, but even more, from himself.

+1

Dex's self-sacrificing decision to protect those he loved was very redeeming. I vastly prefer this to having him killed or incarcerated. But I also didn't think the last season was as bad as most seem to. Nothing after season 4 was as good as those 1st 4, but I didn't experience a big drop in quality among any of those last seasons. I esp. enjoyed the storyline w/ the Dr.- Dex getting to finally experience a Mother Figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6810#post_24383072


It is frustrating when people have difficulty understanding and/or sticking to lines of reasoning.


I also thought the last scene- the whole finale, was fitting. A great finale- no, but I didn't find it nearly as bad as a lot of people seem to have. But Dex's fate and why he chose what he did were very apropos, imo.

+1

Dex's self-sacrificing decision to protect those he loved was very redeeming. I vastly prefer this to having him killed or incarcerated. But I also didn't think the last season was as bad as most seem to. Nothing after season 4 was as good as those 1st 4, but I didn't experience a big drop in quality among any of those last seasons. I esp. enjoyed the storyline w/ the Dr.- Dex getting to finally experience a Mother Figure.

I find the idea of the ending as redemption for Dex interesting. I didn't get that at all. To me, it was more Dexter had exiled himself to his own private hell (an internal, not external, one). He thinks that's all he deserves. And he's probably right.


A gutsy ending, if you think about it.
 
6821 - 6840 of 6872 Posts
Top