AVS Forum banner

6861 - 6872 of 6872 Posts

·
Registered
5,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6840_60#post_24761987

MCH was a producer of the show.

If he didn't like what the writers had put together for the concluding chapter of the show and character that made him household name, he could have sent them back to the drawing room.

No. He was "executive producer" which, as I understand it, is a title which just means that he gets more money.

https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Executive_producer.html

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin  /t/730471/dexter-on-sho/6840#post_24761764

Since dad continues to use Dexter as his profile pic, I'm guessing he liked the ending.
LOL

Has Dad even seen season 8 yet? The last time I remember seeing him post in this thread (not in a HOTP post) he mentioned that he hadn't had time to watch it yet.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
‘Dexter’: Showtime Rebooting Serial Killer Drama For Limited Series, Michael C. Hall & Clyde Phillips Return

Dexter is back to his blood-splattering ways after Showtime ordered a new limited series reboot of the long-running serial killer drama.

Michael C. Hall, who played Dexter in the series, which ran between 2006 and 2013, is back with showrunner Clyde Phillips.

The network has handed the series a ten-part run that is set to go into production in early 2021 with a tentative premiere date of fall 2021.

The original followed Dexter Morgan, who was a complicated and conflicted blood-spatter expert for the Miami police department that moonlighted as a serial killer.

Gary Levine, Co-President of Entertainment at Showtime, said that the network was only willing to revisit the “unique” character if they could find a creative take that was “worthy” and they have “found it”.

There are no details as to the whereabouts of Hall’s Dexter in the reboot but SPOILER ALERT the finale of season eight saw Dexter having faked his death and living under a new name in Oregon after wrecking his boat and escaping from a hospital with the body of his sister, who had been shot and left in a coma, and having sent his son Harrison and love interest Hannah to live in Argentina.

Hall has previously said that it was a possibility that he would return to the character. The reboot has been long-discussed with former Showtime boss David Nevins, who is now Chief Creative Officer, CBS & Chairman and CEO Showtime Networks, saying back in 2015 that Dexter was the one show that he would think about continuing.

Phillips joined Dexter after the pilot had been shot and became writer, exec producer and showrunner of season one through four, when he left the show, albeit was credited as a consultant on the first few episodes of season five.

Dexter is produced by Showtime and executive produced by Phillips, Hall, John Goldwyn, Sara Colleton, Bill Carraro and Scott Reynolds.

Dexter is such a special series, both for its millions of fans and for Showtime, as this breakthrough show helped put our network on the map many years ago,” said Levine. “We would only revisit this unique character if we could find a creative take that was truly worthy of the brilliant, original series. Well, I am happy to report that Clyde Phillips and Michael C. Hall have found it, and we can’t wait to shoot it and show it to the world.”

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
This is probably the best news I have read in a long time. What a great surprise and treat. Can't wait!

As we may recall, it went out with a whimper.

The high points were the first and maybe the second season.

Yet what else has Showtime got going these days? They kill Ray Donovan and Billions is getting stale.

So why not?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Interesting how Micheal C. Hall could be a part of one of the best series finale ever with Six Feet Under and one of the worst with Dexter.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Interesting how Micheal C. Hall could be a part of one of the best series finale ever with Six Feet Under and one of the worst with Dexter.
Dexter was very good for about 4 - 5 seasons depending who you ask. It got formulaic and then incredibly stupid after that.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
I think a good majority of shows that are well liked at the get go end up running out of steam, simply because they don't end when they are ahead .. if you continue to beat the same premise to death, it gets boring after a while ..

Not to say I won't be in on this re-boot .. maybe Hall will be a little bit more old and grizzled, changed his identity and is now working in a Nail Shop in Houston .. during the pandemic ..

The possibilities are endless ..

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Dexter Revival Won't 'Undo Anything,' But It Will Make Things 'Right,' Says EP

If Dexter‘s original series finale didn’t quite cut it for you, the newly announced revival hopes to make things right.

Showtime’s serial killer drama wrapped its eight-season run seven years ago by — SPOILERS ALERT, AND I AM NOT KIDDINGkilling off this main character and then sending Michael C. Hall’s titular vigilante into fake death-imposed exile in the middle of nowhere. AKA the infamous Lumberjack Ending.

But with the 10-episode revival picking up in real time, so many years later, “We basically do get to start from scratch,” returning showrunner Clyde Phillips told the Oct. 16 episode of THR’s always entertaining TV’s Top 5 podcast.

“We want this to not be Dexter Season 9,” he continued. “Ten years, or however many years, have passed by the time this will air, and the show will reflect that time passage. So far as the ending of the show, this will have no resemblance to how the original finale was. It’s a great opportunity to write a second finale.”

Given the lukewarm reaction to the September 2013 series finale, from both viewers and even series lead Hall himself, “This is an opportunity to make that right,” Phillips said. “But that’s not why we’re doing it.”

As for righting/retconning any specific perceived wrongs, “We’re not undoing anything,” Phillips maintained. “We’re not going to betray the audience and say, ‘Whoops, that was all a dream.’ What happened in the first eight years happened in the first eight years.”

Michael C. Hall, sharing his own take on the original series finale, told The Daily Beast in 2014, “Liked it? I don’t think I even watched it,” adding: “I thought it was narratively satisfying — but it was not so savoury…. Just inherently because of how long we’d done it, because of the storytelling capital we’d spent, because our writers may have been gassed… Maybe some people wanted a more satisfying-maybe they wanted a happy ending for him, either a happy ending or a more definitive sense of closure.”

6861 - 6872 of 6872 Posts