Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Until now, I have been using Fuji SVHS tapes for DVHS HD recordings with my JVC 30k. That gets me about 2h45 mins of HD.

Tonight, I wanted to record a movie (Armageddon on ABC) which is 3 hours including commercial breaks. So I won't be able to see the end !

I wanted to know :

- how long can the DF-420 record in HD mode ?

- what's a good price for a DF-420 and where to order it ?

- when will the DF-480 be available

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
- 3.5 hours

- $17.96 is a "good" price ( www.tapewarehouse.com ). $1.37 would be a great price but I don't know anybody who sells it for that.

- Readily available in Japan, but not here. It's been that way for years.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Someone in some thread had posted that the 420s were available somewhere for around $12 -- who was this masked person and where and what is their tape blank source?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know, but FYI the $13 JVC ST-210XG from totalmedia.com worked fine for me in the 30k, and stores the same amount as a DF-420, which is to say, 210 minutes of HD.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
I have tried the ST180 and ST210 from JVC and have mixed results. JVC brand SDVHS tape is not consistently high response curve and will not work reliably in DVHS HS mode. It's a crap shoot as compared to SVHS tape from Fuji but can't find higher than 160's. Since the requirements for greater than 180 min tapes are few, I chose to use the DVHS DF-420 for longer lengths which have been 90% OK from JVC.

Funny that JVC invented VHS but it seems their QC on tape is poor, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I got some TDK DF-360s to try out a Mits D-VHS deck. It holds about 3hr 9min of HD.

Returned the Mits, so if somebody wants to get these from me, send a PM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.