AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attic because I rather not deal with grounding my antenna in the roof. It has nothing to do with the fact that my ladder is 5feet too short to get onto the roof. *cough*.

I used a Winegard 1080 before with it pointing in the general location of the station, but I was only able to get it to 36-38% signal strength in the attic with 10 channels fine. Of course, the channel were crap quality but at least it work. So, I told myself to buy a better antenna that has better range with UHF/VHF.

So, I brought myself a RCA Ant-751, with a range of 40miles. Still underrated, but I heard extremely good thing about it and digitalhome.ca forum recommand the antenna as "good" for near-fringe use. Of course, it's in a attic so it might not do the job. Which is why I'm planning on buying the CM PA-8700 preamp for use, since I'm predicting that if I do everything correctly, I can get around 60-70% signal on my antenna. I'm hoping.

Of course, if that doesn't work, my last resort is the CM 4228HD with near 60miles or the Antennacraft HBU22.

What do you guys think of my assumption on this? As I'm writing, I'm assembling and ordering my preamp.

Thanks. By the way, I live in Mckinney, Texas. Below is my TV Fool report. Only the major channel such as ABC, NBC, Kera, and Fox is important.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
You need more antenna, especially for an attic mount. IMO, the ANT-751 was a poor recommendation with those signal strengths (even outdoors). A preamp help may once you have enough antenna.

The minimum antenna I would consider would be the Winegard HD7694P. (A 7695 or 7696 would be even better). The 4228 is not a real VHF antenna & the HBU-22 isn't much better than the ANT-751.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Welcome.

Antenna "Mileage" claims are mostly meaningless, but if one manufacturer puts it on their antenna, the others feel the need to do that, too. That being said, I installed the RCA ANT 751 (made by Winegard, BTW) in a location with similar signal strengths shown on TVFool, and had good results. Will it work for you? Impossible to tell, because in an attic install, the amount of signal degradation by different building and roofing materials varies considerably.

Do not connect a preamp unless you need it, usually due to a very long coax run or splits to several TVs.

·
Super Moderator
18,726 Posts
Please add a location to thread titles where location is a factor. See my edit.

Also doesn't hurt to put your location in your profile. So much of this is location-specific and it's very handy to just look under your name and see where you are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, Mckinney, TX is only a few miles from the main DFW area with their broadcast, I was under the assumption people know where that is.

As for the HD769 series, I have a either choice of HD7697 or 7694. But I didn't chose the option of either one because of poor 'millage' and another for it's size. I really don't think a 11foot boom is gonna go well with the size of my attic. What about the channel master 4228HD? It might not be a great VHF but I'm only really using it for 1 VHF and that's ABC. It has good review, and performance is for near-fridge. Plus the size factor is a big plus. I just can't seem to see myself with a a 7697p. Or how about the CM 2020? It's pretty decent size as compare to 7697 and 7694.

I work in a electronic retail store, that's why I'm limiting myself to either of those. The discount is pretty heavy, better than any online. And eventually, I'll plan on having my cable antenna split twice, one going to my living room, another to my sister's room. So, I gotta plan for that as well.

I forgot to mention this, but the attic in my roof isn't really going to be pointing at the roof itself, but at the front of the house. So, it'll likely be going through a wall rather than any roof. Not sure if that's better, but I doubt it.

Thanks for all the great responses.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy2forget /forum/post/19519520

What about the channel master 4228HD? It might not be a great VHF but I'm only really using it for 1 VHF and that's ABC.

I would only get the 4228 if you can take it back. It is designed as a UHF antenna & VHF reception is purely incidental. It may in fact work, but it's a crap shoot with the signal levels in your TV FOOL report.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I use the RCA Ant-751 just now in the attic, placing it in various location and area to see what the general signal is. It's mainly 20 to 40%. So, screw the attic. I'm going to be placing it outside now. It'll be on a side of my house, around 13-15feet above ground with a 2story house on the right of mine. As for now, would reception change anything?

And 4228HD and 7694p now? Generally, I didn't want to go outside the attic route mainly because of difficulty to install and cost. But I'll be damn if I stop now, not after spending $200 to fix my cable, buying dtv, and various other thing. What about the CM 2020?

Also, would having a preamp be viable still if I got my antenna outside? It'll be running around 30feet of wire into my attic, than hook that to my preamp and than going the rest of the 30ft down to my living room.

Thanks, great responses and quickly too. Keep it up!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
The CM2020 is good, but over 8' in boom length. Similar performance to the HD7695P. If you're using a preamp, it's best to install that right on the mast and put the power supply somewhere else that you have convenient access to power.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya, pretty big in length still. Would anyone recommend the CM-2020 that over the Winegard 7694 or 7695? Those are the similar boom length, but the 7697 is way too much for me. As I'm trying to rewire my house, I'm also considering the CM-4228hd mainly for it's size and ability to pick up far away signal. What are your opinion?

And oh ya, apparently when I install my antenna, there's a house around 100ft away from where my antenna's pointing to, so that might be a problem cause I can't really move it up higher since I'm reusing my old satellite dish's mast for it.

And thanks for answering my question on the preamp. I guess I'll have to do that, but probably place the power supply all the way in my living room since I don't trust placing it in the attic where I wouldn't know what could go wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The preamp will most likely help some if you are not very near an FM transmitter. The power supply often goes near the TV but usually needs to be connected to coax with a direct run to the preamp so all splitters have to be after the power supply. It's hard to tell weather a 13 foot high antenna will do better than an attic antenna. I would bet no. Which stations do you want to get and are you getting any without breakups in the picture with the ANT 751? If the pictures don't have breakups or bad blocks getting a higher signal quality will not make them look better.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The main station that I want is probably ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS , and most likely CW(forgot what channel it is) and UPN. No other channel is fine, just those 6 are good. I didn't try the picture quality on the Ant 751 but I did have a Winegard 1080 that gave a really low quality but was able to get NBC, Fox and something else.

I guess the preamp must be in the attic than, cause I'll have to split the antenna cable into 2 cable for my living room and another room.

What about antenna? CM 2020 or maybe CM 4288hd?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh, you look at the dB gain from the spec? More important than the mileage. Good thing the 7694 is better since it is smaller too. I'm going to see if I can get the spec for 4228hd so I can compare the two. It's both good but I wanna see what the 4228hd is first so I can see if it's worth it.

what does each splitter and coupler use lose in term of dB? If I do it correct,I'll have it a cable from antenna to grounding block, grounding black to my splitter in my attic which will split into two signal going to my main room and another room. I assume it wouldn't affect it much, I hope.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
The 4228HD is probably better on UHF, but is much, much worse on VHF. A J mount is a bad idea for any large antenna because a good wind gust can rip one right out of the wall. The 4228HD isn't as bad as the original 4228 in terms of wind load, but it's still a rather effective sail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Easier for me to do with the current J-mast now since it's already bolted down, and less costly and save me $20. I think I'll take my chance.

Thanks for all the great responses guy, I'll give the 7694 a try. If that doesn't work, than I'm going to cry..hard.

Thanks all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts