AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I recently set up a HT: Sony KDL-46W4100, Sony HT-CT100 audio system, Sony BDP-S350, SA 8300HD DVR (Cablevision).

I have the following configuration:

SA 8300HD >> HDMI >> SAT input on CT100

BDP-S350 >> HDMI >> BD input on CT100

CT100 >> HDMI >> HDMI Input #1 on KDL-46W4100

Everything has been working fine for the last few weeks. Today, I'm getting frequent, random dropouts (audio and video) from the HDDVR (watching football, first on FOX, then on CBS, both in HD). The drop-outs last less than 1 second and, initially, while watching Fox, I thought maybe the problem was just on their end.

After switching to the game on CBS and seeing more drop-outs, I started wondering what else might be causing the issue.

The HDMI cables from each component into the CT100 are super-cheapos I got through Amazon (3 meter cables). The HDMI from the CT100 into the TV is a pricier 3 meter I picked up at Radio Shack (I believe it was a store brand).

When the drop-outs started happening again on CBS, I started paying more attention to them. When the last one happened, I hit rewind on the DVR and the drop out was NOT recorded; this makes me think that the drop out was not on the signal side.

Then I switched the HDMI cables from the BD player and the DVR. I have already had a few drop outs with the cables switched (although so far it seems like there are fewer with the cables switched, but it might not have been long enough to get a good 'read' on that).

My thoughts are:

1) Even though the DVR isn't recording it, it's something to do with the signal (although I realize this is unlikely)

2) There is a problem with the cable box itself

3) There is a problem with both cheapo HDMI cables

4) There is a problem with the HDMI switcher in the CT100

5) There is a problem with the Radio Shack HDMI running between the CT100 and the TV

6) There is a problem with the HDMI input on the TV

Obviously everything is still new and under warranty. Before I go any further with testing, taking pieces out the system, etc., I was hoping to get some advice on the likely culprit.

Any advice you kind folks can offer is appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Id try switching HDMI cables first. Play your Blu-Ray player and see if you get drop outs. If not, take that HDMI cable and plug it into your tv... Sounds like an HDMI issue to me.

Also what firmware are you runing on your TV? The newest?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I've switched the cables. So far, the TV/Cable box seem to be doing fine. I haven't yet tried the BD player with the other cable, but I will do so soon.

I need to look in to what firmware I have. The last update for the TV model was mid-October and the TV was purchased in late December, so I don't know if our set has the most recent firmware or not, but I'll look into that this weekend when I get a bit of time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An update:

Everything seems to be working fine now, no drop-outs. I did switch HDMI cables between the cable box and BD player, but both machines have been drop-out free since then.

I suspect that the problem I was having before was related to the signal coming in to the cable box in some way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts