AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this amp since it was new roughly 10 years ago. Once I had it serviced under warranty when the amp itself blew, but it's been fine for the past 8+ years.

Just today, it started acting strange. I primarily use my Xbox 360 and PS3 with it.

PS3 (Video 1) Optical 1 input for audio -- no output. Video connected directly from PS3 to projector via HDMI.

Xbox360 (Video 2): Optical 2 input for audio, component 1 input, component output to projector.

When the movie booted, there was no sound. Then there was no sound anywhere. I even attempted to fire up the menu for the level calibrator which sends out sound to each speaker separately. No sound anywhere.

Turned it off for a few minutes, then back on... level calibrator worked fine. So did navigating the PS3 menus. However when I loaded it up a movie again, no sound anywhere that persisted even when turned off.

Took out all connections, then back cover was taken off and I air dusted it. Wasn't visibly dirty inside. Hooked it back up again, speakers work fine.

Came back a few hours later, able to play Xbox 360 game no problem (audio and video). Fired up PS3 movie in background but moment I switched over to it's audio input, sound cut out again. Even when off for 15+ minutes, still no sound. Seems to take a long time before it somehow resets before I get audio again.

So I wonder if I'm hitting some sort of processor that has failed. The amp clearly hasn't blown, nor do I have any shorting speakers as a loose speaker wire will shut the whole thing down including front panel display rather than just turning off audio.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? If so, costly to fix it? Or better off getting something new. Seems like there are $400 receivers with much better functionality and plenty of HDMI.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I switched the Xbox audio from optical to stereo and I can play movies fine from that. With optical I was able to play video games and navigate the menu, but the moment I loaded up a DVD, all audio would go dead for about an hour even when powered off completely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So while I was once able to play a movie using RCA stereo connections over the Xbox, it appeared to go downhill after that. There has been no sound in a few days, even just power cycling and attempting to get the level adjustment sound to work.

In an attempt to understand what possibly could have gone wrong, one thing I did recently was watch a movie using two sets of headphones via a splitter plugged into the main headphone jack. Whenever using headphones I always had to compensate by using closer to reference volume (around 75-80) instead of the usual 50-55 I use. I wonder if I managed to hit some sort of threshhold fail.

I don't believe headphones could cause a receiver to fail... meh...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts