AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help on this issue.

Only happens on Analog SD content. I have had cox out and the have replaced fittings and cables and said that there signal is good. Cox brought in a Bravia and hooked up from the same source it didn't appear to have any of the issues my Sammy does. Samsung has replaced the main board and panel (unrelated issues) but nothing has got them to go away. It's really annoying because it degrades the SD content even more. Some have suggested ground loop or an RF interference, but no solution has been found yet. Anyone have any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Are you using a cable box or the internal Tv tuner? If using a box, what kind of wires go into the Tv from the box? Does the coax run through an old vcr at any point? Does it look the same on all analog sd channels or is it only on certain ones?

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using internal tuner fed with coax cable direct to tv. Nothing passes between the TV and the cable. The interference is usually there but sometimes it is much more visible (like the pictures above) other times it is faint, but since I know what it looks like I can spot it right away. Also, note in the two pictures the angle is opposite. Sometimes they are straight and sometimes the vary with thickness.

I have used the "fine tune" option under channel that the tv has and that may clear up the problem for a bit (usually plus or minus 1). A few minutes later I would see the lines again and set the fine tune back to default (0) and they dissapear.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Anyway to select tuner mode HRC/IRC/Auto? May be something bad with Tv's built in tuner, try replacing main board.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Already had the main board replaced. I have the channels tunes with HRC, that was the only way to get all the channels to be picked up. And if I recall right, when I tuned to STD or auto I could manually tune to a channel but I would still have the problem.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
maybe i missed it...have you tried OTA antenna to see if there is a difference?

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no antenna to try that out right now, maybe I could get one though. There are a couple OTA stations that pick up without one though and I think they are fine as are the other digital channels through coax. It just affects analog sd.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
All tuners are not alike when it comes to analog, so get a VCR and run the RF coax cable through it then into the Tv. Use the tuner in the VCR when you want to watch analog. For simplicity put the Tv on CH 3 or 4, if you want possibly better audio/video then watch the VCR tuner on svideo or composite input of Tv. When you want to watch digital channels just shut off the VCR and allow the signal to pass through to the Tv tuner.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestion on using a vcr (and no offense to you), but I would rather not use an addition obsolete piece of technology to get and hdtv to get an acceptable picture. If I can get a hold of a vcr though, I may use it help diagnose the problem, but never as a permanent solution.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekilo /forum/post/16957015

...If I can get a hold of a vcr though, I may use it help diagnose the problem, but never as a permanent solution.

If the main board was already replaced there is nothing more to fix on the Tv. Apparently that Tv just has a very sensitive analog tuner or something. Another better suggesting is to have your cable company install a HD DVR for you. Ya it cost money to use/rent, but that will permanently solve your problem and you will have a DVR!

·
Banned
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn /forum/post/16957438

Apparently that Tv just has a very sensitive analog tuner or something. Another better suggesting is to have your cable company install a HD DVR for you. Ya it cost money to use/rent, but that will permanently solve your problem and you will have a DVR!

I have been leaning towards a digital cable and/or a HD DVR, BUT if the TV tuner is adding noise to the signal that is still unacceptable to me and I would be contacting Samsung for a full refund/replacement. The set has already undergone 1 panel swap, 1 main board swap and are scheduled for both again (on different issues) If they can't resolve this issue they should have no reluctancy in taking the TV back that has caused me a fair amount of problems.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts