AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo TX-SR707 and a Panasonic DMP-BD60K Blu-ray player going into a Panasonic Plasma 58 inch V10 HDTV.

I notice that when I watch Bluray disks I find that I have to sometimes strain to hear the dialog. The surround sound effects are terrific....but.....the dialog seems too low as far as it's volume is concerned.

I have Boston acoustic speakers all around. Speakers are set up as follows. Right tower, center speaker, left tower and then two rear channel speakers.

I have the Blu-ray player with an HDMI cable going into the Onkyo.

Speaker are all hooked up properly. I did the Audyssey set up with the microphone.

I'm just wishing that the dialog was easier to hear or stood out more. I get the feeling I can fix this.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Check if your center channel is working correctly. If the center is not working, the L+R speakers might give you the feeling of voices being portrayed giving the impression the center might be working properly while it isn't. I'd recommend you put your ear to each driver on your center to check that all your drivers are working.

If you've already done this, i'd listen to the previous posters, but be careful with dynamic volume, it might compress the sound you hear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM /forum/post/18247037

Bump your center channel up a couple db's till your satisfied.

Can that be done considering the fact that I used Audyssey? Does it affect how Audyssey works?

·
Registered
498 Posts
could use a little more info on your speakers, especially the center channel.

Also, don't be afraid to run Audyssey several times. try adjusting speaker placement (in particular, the center) and run it again and again. And, feel free to tweak what the auto-calibration comes back with.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
So other sources are fine? Only Bluray has the issue?

I ask, because there have been a few BD's where the dialog was mixed low. Now if all sources are doing it, a fair amount of time this can be a room issue causing it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/18251265

So other sources are fine? Only Bluray has the issue?

I ask, because there have been a few BD's where the dialog was mixed low. Now if all sources are doing it, a fair amount of time this can be a room issue causing it.

Seems like BD disks only. HDTV is all good.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Many avr's remember channel setting per mode / per source. Does bumping the channel up some help?

For diagnosis, try an optical connection. assuming your using HDMI.

Your reasonably sure all the settings in the BD player are good, some had quirks like bad dialog is 2nd audio was enabled, or even some setting that were not supposed to effect HDMI or visa versa.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/18254845

Many avr's remember channel setting per mode / per source. Does bumping the channel up some help?

For diagnosis, try an optical connection. assuming your using HDMI.

Your reasonably sure all the settings in the BD player are good, some had quirks like bad dialog is 2nd audio was enabled, or even some setting that were not supposed to effect HDMI or visa versa.

Let me take a look at the BD player settings and report back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts