AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the market for a new receiver, my old entry level Onkyo just isn't cutting it any more.

Something that I am really interested in is the ability of the receiver to make it easier to hear voices when I am watching a movie. I am looking at the Yamaha RX-A720 or V673, and they have features called Dialog (dialogue) Adjust and Adaptive DRC. Dialog adjust is supposed to boost the volume of dialogue sounds, while adaptive DRC is supposed to prevent loud booming sounds from overshadowing other sounds when the volume is low.

Does anyone out there have any experience with these features? If not with Yamaha, with any other brand?

My current Onkyo HT-R340 includes very similar features, but they only work when I have 5.1 audio sources. A lot of the time I am watching streaming videos on my Xbox so my source is only stereo. I don't want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed by similar limitations on my new receiver.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I don't have a Yamaha but I have a Denon which has the same features. It uses Audyssey's Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ. Dynamic volume does a good job leveling out the sound so you can watch an Action movie at a comfortable level without shaking the whole house. You get the dialog up where you can hear all the words without the explosions getting really loud. It has several levels so you can adjust it to fit your needs. I have heard good things about Dolby Volume as well but it’s only on select models (e.g. Denon 4311, Onkyo 709/809 and all the Anthems just to name a few).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts