AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just received my new Rocket RS200 center yesterday. So I spent most of the night sampling various DVD's to get a feel for it. One thing that bothered me was I had a very difficult time with the dialogue specifically on the Gladiator DVD. Now maybe it is just the DVD is I didn't really have issues with TTT, Finding Nemo, The Wedding Singer or FOTR. I also tested out Tomb Raider Two and there were some minor dialogue issues.

Now its not a level issue the center isn't quieter than the fronts as effects and other sounds through the center sound crisp and clear. I have played with the distance settings and they are calibrated. I am watching in my dedicated theater which has fabric on the walls and other treatments, I've never noticed dialogue issues before. Any ideas? I know the 200 is supposed to be a terrific center. COuld it maybe need more break in time? Is it the disc itself?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Have you checked make sure it's wired in phase with your main speakers? That's the only thing I can think of that could be wrong. If that's not the problem, it would be helpful if you were more descriptive of what you are hearing.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Call the folks at Rocket/av123 and have them help you trouble shoot it.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tonight I plan on double checking the wire runs to see if all is in phase. THat is a possibility I am exploring as there are a couple "breaks in the wires where I needed to meet two shorter lengths to reach the distance I needed (don't ask).

Like I said the worst culprit was Gladiator. I haven't watched that movie in ages so I don't recall if I had issues with my other speakers, but I spent the whole first 15 minutes constantly saying to myself "what did he say?". ALL other disks, except a little bit from Tomb Raider. was clear and I had no issues. WHat about placement of fronts? If the fronts left, right, center are a certain distance from each other can they cause "cancelling effects or anything like that? RIght now the left and right are about 4 feet in from the side walls in a 14' wide room and the center is right in the middle. There is probably 24-30" between the center and either of the fronts.

·
Registered
609 Posts
How do you have the center placed? Is on on top and flush with your TV? That can effect the sound quite a bit.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow, thats the first Ive ever heard of someone having dialouge problems with an RSC200.

I got mine in a month or so ago and have been very impressed with the crisp dialouge...

Let us know if you get it fixed.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marjen
THe center is located on a stand about 24" off the floor under my projection screen. It is about 8-10" in front of the stage area.
Well that isn't the problem then. Not sure, if it's not all DVD's and other material that you listen to I would think it would be the specific material that you are listening to.

The other possibility is the speaker isn't quite to your taste. Or maybe there is a defect in the one that you got.

That is about all I got, sorry I can't be of much help. :)

Edit: Is the speaker angled up to the listeners position? You could play with the positioning of it.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
just play gladiator chapter 5 it has purely dialog from center only

hook up a cheapo speaker cable and re test, it may just be some contact problem

put your finger slightly touching the rubber rim of mid/bass drivers and feel any vibration when sound comeing out to check if the drivers are working

for the tweeter you should be able to hear if any sound comes out, it can be some wire soldering problem inside the cabinet

worst come to worst take back to where you bought the loudspeaker

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, what a busy night. I rewired my front three speakers with some 14/2 HD wire I found. Direct runs speaker to receiver. TO the RS200 I used 2 14/2 wires one for the + one for the _(not sure if this helps). I did all this to make sure there was no phase issues in my connections and also people each run which are close to 35-40' each consisted of several shorter wires due to changes made while building my theater after the walls were up.

Anyway 1st up was that troublesome Gladiator disk. It sounded much better I can make out dialogue much better on lt now. Crowe is the only one I can't understand every word of(I think its just him . Effects sound great, swords, candles, horses all very realistic. I can also drive cleanly very loudly.

I know I have voiced some grumbling about the performance of the 150's for music listening. Well for HT they are sensational. Very enveloping, engaging, clear, realistic just all around much better than my old surround setup.

I also demoed Matrix reloaded and FOTR opening scenes, everything sounded great. Shrek and Nemo also sounded great no dialogue issues at all.

So long story short everything is sounding great. I am sure they still need break in so hopefully in a week or two they will sound even better. So it may have been one or more of the front speakers was out of phase or that there was a bad connection in the wire. Thanks for all of your suggestions. Back to the theater.......

·
Registered
609 Posts
Glad to hear you have it resolved. It is always good to enjoy your HT. :D

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I didn't see a mention of whether your other speakers are the same make as the center channel. If different brands, it might pay to check to see if the speakers all use the same plus and minus markings at the speaker posts.

I use a 9 volt battery and the battery connectors for the 9 volt from radio shack. The connector clips on the battery leads. Removing the speaker grills, I connect the positive battery terminal to the plus speaker connector and the negative to the minus. As you touch the leads to the speaker you should see the woofer cone move outward.

If you test all speakers like this, you will know for sure that they are all wired the same with respect to polarity. Wiring the speakers to the receiver needs to maintain this polarity.

I had a mix/match system and found that the center was wired opposite the main and surround speakers. The wiring I did was correct, but the poles on the center channel were reversed.

Naturally, getting all the cones moving together made a big improvement in the sound quality.

As a habit, I always check new speakers - even the same brand - to make sure that the terminal labels actually match how the speaker is wired internally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.