AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bitten by the upgrade bug when it comes to 2-channel audio, but I'm a relatively young parent with two kids and limited funds (for these types of toys)...

I have about 1k to spend on speakers and I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, definitely used, and preferably some which may be undervalued because of poor marketing/distribution/etc.

Case and point - I just purchased some MQ Quart Vera bookshelf speakers for a little over $500 on closeout...they originally sold for over $2000. These speakers are very nice, but they were seldom reviewed and not very well know.

Which leads me to two lines of floorstanders which have me interested. Mutine of France Equation and Atlantis Acoustique speakers...

Does anyone know anything about these speakers lines...they are over 10 years old and hardly mentioned online, but what little I've seen/read tells me these may be very nice speakers to be had on the used market...are there any others along these lines?

As a bonus, these speakers seem to be VERY sensitive, which is a plus for me, because I really don't want to invest in higher powered amplification.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
You may want to check out Ohm Walsh speakers. They've had quite a cult following for years. I have heard some older models and they are very impressive.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtlj  /t/1523285/diamonds-in-the-rough-obscure-audiophile-speakers#post_24502666

I've been bitten by the upgrade bug when it comes to 2-channel audio, but I'm a relatively young parent with two kids and limited funds (for these types of toys)...

I have about 1k to spend on speakers and I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, definitely used, and preferably some which may be undervalued because of poor marketing/distribution/etc.

Case and point - I just purchased some MQ Quart Vera bookshelf speakers for a little over $500 on closeout...they originally sold for over $2000. These speakers are very nice, but they were seldom reviewed and not very well know.

Which leads me to two lines of floorstanders which have me interested. Mutine of France Equation and Atlantis Acoustique speakers...

Does anyone know anything about these speakers lines...they are over 10 years old and hardly mentioned online, but what little I've seen/read tells me these may be very nice speakers to be had on the used market...are there any others along these lines?

As a bonus, these speakers seem to be VERY sensitive, which is a plus for me, because I really don't want to invest in higher powered amplification.

Why not install a subwoofer to support those bookshelf speakers?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1523285/diamonds-in-the-rough-obscure-audiophile-speakers#post_24503008

Why not install a subwoofer to support those bookshelf speakers?

Already have

I'm using the high pass RCA's on a ML dynamo (original) and they sound great together.

The floor standers I'm looking for would be in another room

·
Registered
2,410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtlj  /t/1523285/diamonds-in-the-rough-obscure-audiophile-speakers#post_24502666

What a wonderful idea for a thread!

Now, I'm curious as to how you came across those two manufacturers?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9  /t/1523285/diamonds-in-the-rough-obscure-audiophile-speakers#post_24506855

What a wonderful idea for a thread!

Now, I'm curious as to how you came across those two manufacturers?

Just poking around while looking for a slightly older, audiophile quality, high sensitivity floor-stander that could be had for pennies on the dollar...

www.soundstage.com/revequip/equation_7.htm

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazine/equipment/1002/atlantisacoustic.htm

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/atlantis-acoustique-esterel-mk3-speaker.html

Looks like there's a pair of E7's on ebay for 2200, but I personally wouldn't pay that much...although, from what little I've read, they may be worth that.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
You've heard about the law of diminishing returns. Well, without going into great detail I can say that I went from these, to B&W 802D1s, and to my surprise, the JBLs remained unshaken in their position of one of my all time favorite speaker purchases. Originally shipped from California to where I was living in Florida at the time for something around 4 or 500 bucks, I have not come across a better speaker value in nearly 10 years that I've been fiddling around with audio. I have the XPL140s and find them to be the perfect "sweet spot" in the XPL line (the woofer in the 160 is not well matched). The real magic in these JBLs (which are generally recognized as one of the if not the final *truly* HiFi JBL Consumer series products, still built in Northridge, CA), is the titanium dome tweeter and midrange. The 140s were originally $2,000.00 for the pair WAY back in 1989/90 when they were introduced. The 200s were $4,000.00 and there was even a custom EQ box that JBL also sold for the set, but it's rarer than hen's teeth...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone head of or own speakers by Parker Audio? Their high efficiency, crossover-less loudspeaker design seems very interesting. I wonder if they would make suitable nearfield monitors with a T-amp and sub...

www.parkeraudio.net

Their troll signature speakers have me most interested. but I'd like to know more first...forum discussions have not been recent, but they received a good review from hometheatrereview.com

http://hometheaterreview.com/parker-audio-95mk-ii-loudspeakers-reviewed/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts