AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using DVD Fab 8 to rip certain BD's from their 25k-30k bitrate to a more manageable 10k-12k....

I've been looking online and I think something is wrong...maybe.

I rip the movie using MakeMKV. 25 minutes and done. Understood that is average.

When I go to re-encode from the original using DVD Fab 8 video converter....I use the audio untouched option, 1080p (want to keep lossless audio) and set the bit rate at 10k or 12k...depending on the movie. My main goal is basically reducing file size without drastically cutting into the video. Plus, I'm doing these on movies where "video" is not the primary concern. (Ferris Bueller for example...where stock bitrate is mid 30k last I checked when I burned it).

It at MOST only takes a 2 hr movie around 2.5 to 3 hours. Am I missing something???

Everywhere I look people with faster quad cores running more ram takes 10 hours to a few days. Granted, I don't touch sharpness or anything, I'm literally reducing the bitrate....that's it.

Is this a normal time? Also, the bitrate isn't attached to the resolution...is it? Such as, to have the same image quality on a 720p vs. 1080p (resolution notwithstanding...more like color and shadow accuracy)...the bitrate should on both be 10k....not 10k for the 720p and 20k for the 1080p since 1080p is double the resolution. Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Ryan

AMD Athlon X4 635

4Gb 1333 DDR3 Ram

WD Blue 7200 HDD (for encoding)

ATI 4650 (DVXA encoding supported...other one for DVD FAB 8 is not...)

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 /forum/post/19620493

Everywhere I look people with faster quad cores running more ram takes 10 hours to a few days. Granted, I don't touch sharpness or anything, I'm literally reducing the bitrate....that's it.

Is this a normal time?

Thanks,

Ryan

AMD Athlon X4 635

4Gb 1333 DDR3 Ram

WD Blue 7200 HDD (for encoding)

ATI 4650 (DVXA encoding supported...other one for DVD FAB 8 is not...)

I've got the same processor you have listed above and it takes me exactly 10 hours to encode from 25gb to 10gb. I use Ripbot to encode but have also used DVDFab and it took the same amount of time.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallet21 /forum/post/19620763

I've got the same processor you have listed above and it takes me exactly 10 hours to encode from 25gb to 10gb. I use Ripbot to encode but have also used DVDFab and it took the same amount of time.

See...that's the thing I'm confused about. I used Ripbot once...tried to re-encode Robin Hood: Prince of Theives (Costner)...I didn't want to used 28gb on that movie.

Ripbot gave me a 12 or 15 hour estimate. I stopped at the 2 hour mark and said screw it.

I just don't know what I am doing different. When using mediabrower, it even shows on media info the new bit-rate. It's around 10gb for Ferris Bueller as compared to the original was around 25gb. Even MPC-HC stated that it was the correct bit-rate and all.

Is it possible it's because I'm not converting from H264 to VC1 or MPeg2 to Mpeg4 or vice versa. I'm literally re-encoding in the same MKV container to the original format (H264, VC1, Mpeg2, Mpeg 4), same audio...I'm just reducing the bit-rate.

Would that be why it is only taking 2-3 hours? I just don't want to convert these if I'm majorly screwing up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts