AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has ABC lowered their HD picture quality nationwide? For the alst few months it doesn't look nearly as good as it used to or as good as other networks. My local ABC station is KERO, an affiliate, not an owned and operated and does not carry the Live Well HD subchannel. It has Azteca in SD on a subchannel, but has had that for a long time and still had great picture quality on the main channel until recently. Syndicated HD shows on KERO look much better than ABC shows. Several posters said that the quality of ABC HD went down in their city when an [email protected] added Live Well HD. I am thinking that maybe ABC reduced the quality of their national feed so that it won't look any better on stations without Live Well HD. This could be to try to convince affiliates to add Live Well HD since there isn't any difference in picture quality rather or not it is carried. This could also deter people with access to aBC stations from 2 markets from choosing one over the other because of better HD quality. Has anyone else in a market served by an affiliate and not an [email protected] noticed ABC going down to HD-Lite?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
No. WEWS in Cleveland is still subchannel free. And I still think it is the best quality HD channel in the market, even above CBS and NBC.

It must be local due to the subchannel. The local CBS here is awful because it has a weather subchannel.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/18125821

Local issue.

Or a regional one. Didn't ABC have some issues with the quality of their pacific network some time back? There could be an issue with the delay or the pacific feed encoder. Even though the feeds are muxed they all still use separate encoders.

·
Premium Member
10,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD /forum/post/18126203

Or a regional one. Didn't ABC have some issues with the quality of their pacific network some time back? There could be an issue with the delay or the pacific feed encoder. Even though the feeds are muxed they all still use separate encoders.

Yes, ABC did indeed have a problem for a short while, while they were still doing DVB-S QPSK HD network feeds. I provided the images grabs that proved there was indeed a problem and shortly after that it was fixed. The problem was that the encoder was swapped out and the one that was put in was not under computer control and the default settings were set wrong.

Now ABC has updated to DVB-S2 8PSK and H.264. They are doing three streams per 80 Mbps mux. They recently started a separate Mountain feed.

As for image quality, they are running 21.5 Mbps for each of the streams and I've not seen any issues with the East or West feeds. If there was, I'd see it.

So, as Ken points out, it is a local issue.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I guess I'll have to go to Walmart and pick up a RX1290 to check it out.

·
Premium Member
10,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD /forum/post/18126818

I guess I'll have to go to Walmart and pick up a RX1290 to check it out.

Ya, right. Let me know how that turns out

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg /forum/post/18125800

No. WEWS in Cleveland is still subchannel free. And I still think it is the best quality HD channel in the market, even above CBS and NBC.

It must be local due to the subchannel. The local CBS here is awful because it has a weather subchannel.

Eh, have to strongly disagree with that. I'm not a fan of WOIO (CBS Cleveland) as far as local content goes, but the SB PQ was leaps and bounds better than an NBA game in 720p on WEWS (ABC Cleveland). WKYC (NBC Cleveland) also does a great job on PQ,

·
Registered
413 Posts
As stated before, ABC TV Network and ABC Owned Stations (also referred to as Disney Owned Stations) do not work in tandem as other O&Os do. Owned stations do not report to ABC TV Network, they report to Disney. Just as ESPN does not report to ABC Sports, they report to Disney.

Anyone catch the pattern here? So, nothing done at the station level is controlled by ABC TV Network (Owned or non-owned). LiveWellHD is a venture by the Disney Owned Stations. The quality at those stations is just as much out of the hands of ABC TV Network as it is out of their hands at any of the affiliated stations.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja2bk /forum/post/18134937

As stated before, ABC TV Network and ABC Owned Stations (also referred to as Disney Owned Stations) do not work in tandem as other O&Os do. Owned stations do not report to ABC TV Network, they report to Disney.

Stated before where? Last I heard, ABC O&O stations are run by ABC.

Quote:
Just as ESPN does not report to ABC Sports, they report to Disney.

Different situation.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja2bk /forum/post/18142696

I stated it before on here.

I'm pretty sure you are incorrect, but I will ask to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja2bk /forum/post/0

I added ESPN for a good reason.

ESPN has always been a separate entity in the Disney corporate hierarchy compared to ABC, and is now part of Disney Media Networks just like Disney-ABC Television Group, Walt Disney Internet Group, and ABC owned television stations.

Disney Media Networks is one of four groups that report to Disney corporate, also including The Walt Disney Studios, Parks and Resorts, and Disney Consumer Products.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/18142805

I'm pretty sure you are incorrect, but I will ask to be sure.

ESPN has always been a separate entity in the Disney corporate hierarchy compared to ABC, and is now part of Disney Media Networks just like Disney-ABC Television Group, Walt Disney Internet Group, and ABC owned television stations.

Disney Media Networks is one of four groups that report to Disney corporate, also including The Walt Disney Studios, Parks and Resorts, and Disney Consumer Products.

Please do inquire. I know what I know.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
With two sub channels here in NY the HD quality is lower:

7-1 WABC-HD 720p 1280x720 16:9 0x0031 5 ‑ 12.5 DD5.1 0x0034 384kbps

7-2 LivWell 720p 1280x720 16:9 0x0041 1 ‑ 10 DD2.0 0x0044 96kbps

7-3 WEATHER 480i 704x480 4:3 0x0051 .5 ‑ 1.75 DD2.0 0x0054 96kbps

·
Registered
45,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja2bk /forum/post/18145814

Please do inquire. I know what I know.

You're right that the O&O stations no longer answer to ABC Network. You're wrong that they answer directly to Disney corporate. As noted above, they are part of Disney Media Networks, which reports to Disney corporate.

The point is regarding what ABC Network has to say about what ABC O&O stations do. Although the Network no longer directly controls what the O&O's do, it certainly has input regarding what Network HD image quality looks like on O&O stations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.