AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went back and reread all the threads i could find and i think the answer was no but i thought i would ask. i have a drive caddie that plugs a drive into my eide bus but i have to restart the machine to have it recognized under w2k. i found some hot swap programs but they do not work on w2k.

greg

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hmm... I'm not familiar with your device, but generally if Win2k recognizes its hot-swappability then you should have an insertion icon in your system tray. If you right click on that you should have an option to "stop" it, to prepare the system for its removal.

-will

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Someone I know has used a firewire controller

and an external firewire to IDE interface to

make "hot swap" work in Win2k.

They found that the normal HD drivers didn't

hot swap properly, but the drivers they got

for using "firewire hard drives" did allow

hot swap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know whether it works under Win2K but the Promise SuperSwap enclosure is designed for hotswaps primarily in RAID arrays on NT servers/workstations but is supposed to work with single hard drives, too ( http://www.promise.com/PDF/sswapds.pdf ). At Newegg.com with free shipping for $70.00. Of course, they barely have any information about it at Promise. There is one technical issue with their device, if you have two enclosures per channel, one hard drive is often not recognized. OS is not specified anywhere.

Hope that helps (somewhat).

Klaus

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hot swapping with win2k is possible. Only problem is that BOTH the drive tray and OS (in this case win2k) needs to suport the,. Win2k does. It also supports hotswapping PCI cards but one thing is supporting. The other is that it actaully works when ya do it =/ I do know that for hot swapping the tray NEEDS to have 5+ VDC for spin up. Then the OS should take care of the rest. I have not seen sucessful use of this in IDE. SCSI is a diffrent story.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.