AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed during last night's Monday Night Football game as well as last week's MNF game that when the halftime show was on, or where they showed lighter, grainier, upconverted 16 x 9 SD, that you could faintly see the outline of the 4:3 bars, i.e., the areas around where the 4:3 picture would be, looked a shade darker...I am thinking this was ABC's equipment as I haven't ever noticed that when watching a 4:3 show and switching to a 16 x 9 show that there was anything like this. I don't watch a lot of 4:3 TV, basically only on commercials when watching some HD over the air only. Anyone else notice this? I have a TH-PWD5 Panasonic 42".

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Sorry this off the subject but acribb if you could go to this thread and let me know where you purchased your entertainment stand it would be appreciated. I apologize for the intrusion - your pm seems to be turned off.

Thanks

·
Registered
972 Posts
I thought I was seeing things! I saw the exact same thing. I ended up putting on the negative image for a few minutes to see if that cleared it up. I am glad someone else saw it - now I feel very comfortable that it had to be an ABC problem!

Therese

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have the same plasma and watched the entire game, but I didn't notice this probelm. I have to admit that I wasn't really paying close attention to commercials or half time, so it may have dissipated before I could observe it.

I use the cinema mode with contrast at about -15 and brightness at -1 for HD. What display mode and settings are you using?

-Steve

·
Registered
111 Posts
I saw that, too ... it freaked me out at first but then I realized it was only on certain dark shots and backgrounds.

Maybe they are filming a plasma that has burn in and then broadcasting that ;-)

Vic

·
Registered
848 Posts
I saw that last week as well. I freaked out until I saw the real HD cameras come back and everything looked fine.

You can also see this effect on the city shots coming out of commercial during the game.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I noticed the effect, but didn't chalk up to burn-in. I see a lot of dark HD shots on my screen, and only the mnf broadcast exhibits this. Most noticeable was when a night shot of somewhere outside the stadium was shown. The edges (outside the 14:9 frame) are very black, and the middle more purple. The difference is slight though; if you don't have your blacks set decent you might not even notice.

I concluded that maybe they were applying a color filter for the SD broadcast and that was getting laid over top of the HD picture on those wide shots... I'm pretty sure that those shots were SD cameras being upconverted, so maybe there's something there too, I don't know.

Rest assured, our plasmas are all fine. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
It is a burn in, but not on your display, it is on the camera itslelf. There is a long thread on the subject of camera burn-in, I will try to dig it out and post the link.

-Alan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.