AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered direct tv on the 13th (free installation and the hd-dvr box for $99)...they came out on the 18th to instal it. ( i live in a apt on third floor) and they said since there was a tree blocking the balcony...they had to install the dish on the ground and i had to pay them $80 on the spot...but they would only charge $70. And it had to be cash. I asked why and they told me they were outside contractors and they have to pay for the equiptment themselves....So against my better judgement i paid them. Couple days later i got the normal service call asking how everything went....i told them fine except the fact i was charged a extra $70. They said ok thanks have a good day. Yesterday i get a call from the installers asking me to call Direct Tv back....tell them i wasn't charged $70 but that i tipped them $70 for the extra work they did. When i asked why...they said that direct tv was trying to take a portion of that money from them. They also asked me not to tell them that they called me but to call them on my own.

So does this sound fishy to anyone? and if so...what should i do? I could care less if they get in trouble...i want to be comphensated for having to come out of pocket if i didn't have to. I didn't get a receipt for the $70 either

·
Registered
131 Posts
Same thing happened to me, except it was $100 for some sort of metal mount bracket. Now, I only have half a balcony, and my wife is displeased. I will be dropping directv like a bad habit when my contract runs out later this year.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellusk /forum/post/12987655

I ordered direct tv on the 13th (free installation and the hd-dvr box for $99)...they came out on the 18th to instal it. ( i live in a apt on third floor) and they said since there was a tree blocking the balcony...they had to install the dish on the ground and i had to pay them $80 on the spot...but they would only charge $70. And it had to be cash. I asked why and they told me they were outside contractors and they have to pay for the equiptment themselves....So against my better judgement i paid them. Couple days later i got the normal service call asking how everything went....i told them fine except the fact i was charged a extra $70. They said ok thanks have a good day. Yesterday i get a call from the installers asking me to call Direct Tv back....tell them i wasn't charged $70 but that i tipped them $70 for the extra work they did. When i asked why...they said that direct tv was trying to take a portion of that money from them. They also asked me not to tell them that they called me but to call them on my own.

So does this sound fishy to anyone? and if so...what should i do? I could care less if they get in trouble...i want to be comphensated for having to come out of pocket if i didn't have to. I didn't get a receipt for the $70 either

You got hustled but not by DirecTv, by the installer.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Actually, what I find the most interesting is the comment about DirecTV wanting some of the $70 paid by the customer to the installer. Of course, the installer could be stretching the truth.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a similar situation involving a mast installed in the ground and a trench for the cable. I guess that's considered above and beyond the free install. Although it was confusing since the company that does the installs told me two different things. One person said that the pole install and trench would be free and another person said that it was between myself and the installer.

Ultimately the installer said that if he were to "charge" me for both things, that it would have cost around $150. He said another option was that I could "tip" him $100.

I'm not sure exactly what is going on but I can only think that it's some kind of racket.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
At least DirecTV is trying to do something about you being hustled.

I ordered a dishwasher from Sears and paid Sears for the install. The independent installer came out and told me I needed additional connections for $108. I checked later and found they cost $5 at Home Depot and were not needed. At the time of the install my choice was to tell the installer to go away and loose my installation charge and only get my dishwasher money back. When I complained to Sears they told me there was nothing they could do. Sears at that moment just got the last of my business forever.

Rick R

·
Registered
15 Posts
I find this interesting that folks pay the installers when it clearly says on the contract you signed..."Free Installation". If the independant contractor needs more money, than THEY should be calling DTV, not you! The first thing I would have done is tell the installer to stop what he is doing while I get DTV on the phone to find out what the issue is. Chances are, the contractor would have magically made your dish work. And if DTV did back him up, then I would tell DTV to send a contractor who could make the install work without the surcharge. Just my 2 cents!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts