AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HT consisting of 5 Paradigm studio 20 v3's connected to an Emotiva LPA-1 (125wpc). I usually cross the 20's over to a sub, but for reasons I wont get into here I was running the 20's full range today with my AVR set to no sub. I was only at -17db from reference on my AVR watching a bluray and in one of the loud scenes I heard some bad distortion sounds. I don't think the amp would clip at that volume, so I think what it was is the LFE info from the sub routed to my front L and R and it was to much for the speakers to handle. One sound was kind of a clicking sound and the other was a loud farting noise (I don't know how else to describe it) but it didn't sound good. Did I drive my speakers to Xmax or even Xmech? How would I tell if I have done damage to the driver or VC? As far as I can tell they sound fine and the driver looks ok but could there still be damage?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the distortion I described sound like I was just hitting xmax or does that sound more like xmech? I didn't hear any clacking like the driver was bottoming out, just the loud flapping sound. It really just caught me by surprise because when I had my mains crossed to my sub at 70hz I could go up to -10 from reference and I listen to music much louder than I thought I had this bluray with no problems, but like I said i think it was all the rerouted LFE content that made the difference in this case.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,769 Posts
How are getting LFE information to your mains? The standards dictate it can only go to a sub, so I'm not sure that's what you're hearing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson
How are getting LFE information to your mains? The standards dictate it can only go to a sub, so I'm not sure that's what you're hearing.
I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that on most AVR's if you set your mains to large or full range and select "no subwoofer" the LFE content will be routed to your mains. assuming that's the case, your mains are carrying all of the low freq content that would normally be on those channels plus all of the LFE from the sub. If that isnt the case than it was probably just the infrasonic on the main channels that caused the drivers to exceed xmax.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,769 Posts
I've honestly never heard that. LFE was designed strictly for a subwoofer and no portion of it should be going to the mains, regardless of the size you choose. If you are actually getting the LFE signal sent to them I would think something with your AVR is very wrong.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson
I've honestly never heard that. LFE was designed strictly for a subwoofer and no portion of it should be going to the mains, regardless of the size you choose. If you are actually getting the LFE signal sent to them I would think something with your AVR is very wrong.
I though this was pretty common, maybe someone else can chime in here. For example on my Onkyo 886 if I set subwoofer to "no" than it automatically sets my mains to full range. I believe this is so it can re-rout LFE info to the mains.

But it is kind of irreverent, either way my mains were overloaded. It could very well of just been the low freq info in the main channels that caused this.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that I think about it I might be wrong. With sub set to "no" and mains set to large, any info below the crossover of your center and surrounds is re-routed to the mains. I think this is what I was thinking of. I stand corrected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts