AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I actually just bought a 50PF9431D/37 from Costco on Black Friday and im having a few questions about the quality. When I play my xbox 360 on it the picture looks perfect but when I watch regual SD channels, the picture looks fine when there isn't that much activity but when objects are moving fast, there is some distortion that is getting annoying. Is this from the SD channel or my tv? The distortion is like little vertical scetions being blocky. Also I am sitting approx 8 feet away so is this to close and normal or should I take this back to costco and buy a different tv? If spending a couple hundred more on a better tv means this wont happen i dont mind but I would want to buy it from costco for the return policy and would like a suggestion

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Yes.

Get a Panasonic or Pioneer.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsk8r4ever /forum/post/0

what brand is a good one costco carries?

You might want to consider one of the Pro series Panasonics and get a DVI board.

Also the Pioneers are very nice.

Go to Costcos online site and you will see them.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

Quote:

hey guys I actually just bought a 50PF9431D/37 from Costco on Black Friday and im having a few questions about the quality. When I play my xbox 360 on it the picture looks perfect but when I watch regual SD channels, the picture looks fine when there isn't that much activity but when objects are moving fast, there is some distortion that is getting annoying. Is this from the SD channel or my tv? The distortion is like little vertical scetions being blocky. Also I am sitting approx 8 feet away so is this to close and normal or should I take this back to costco and buy a different tv? If spending a couple hundred more on a better tv means this wont happen i dont mind but I would want to buy it from costco for the return policy and would like a suggestion

Do you receive your SD in digital formar? What you describe sounds like macroblocking. Macroblocking is a result of overcompression and low bandwidth. It is not a lcd or plasma unique problem.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmlobo /forum/post/0

Do you receive your SD in digital formar? What you describe sounds like macroblocking. Macroblocking is a result of overcompression and low bandwidth. It is not a lcd or plasma unique problem.

Dude.....it's an XBox.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 /forum/post/0

Dude.....it's an XBox.

"When I play my xbox 360 on it the picture looks perfect but when I watch regual SD channels, the picture looks fine when there isn't that much activity but when objects are moving fast, there is some distortion that is getting annoying. Is this from the SD channel or my tv?"

Dude, he doesn't have a problem with his xbox!! His complaint is the SD display on his TV.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmlobo /forum/post/0

"When I play my xbox 360 on it the picture looks perfect but when I watch regual SD channels, the picture looks fine when there isn't that much activity but when objects are moving fast, there is some distortion that is getting annoying. Is this from the SD channel or my tv?"

Dude, he doesn't have a problem with his xbox!! His complaint is the SD display on his TV.

Oops..nevermind.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nmlobo is most likely correct, think about it, if it were the TV you would have this problem while watching SD, HD, DVD or playing your XBOX. If you have it, switch to ESPN HD and see if you see the problem. ESPN forces providers to send their HD signal at the full bit rate, so it's a decent test to see if it's your set or not.

FWIW, I have the same TV and have not had ANY problems with it. I picked up this one after having problems with a Sharp LCD and panny plasma (yes, believe it or not panny's have plenty of issues). After using the THX optimizer the picture is amazing, I can't imagine how it would look if I had it professionally calibrated.

·
Premium Member
18,328 Posts

Quote:

.....when I watch regual SD channels, the picture looks fine when there isn't that much activity but when objects are moving fast, there is some distortion that is getting annoying. Is this from the SD channel or my tv?

The distortion is like little vertical scetions being blocky. Also I am sitting approx 8 feet away so is this to close and normal or should I take this back to costco and buy a different tv?

What exactly is your source for SD? Antenna? Cable? DirecTV/Dish? Are they analog SD channels or digital SD channels? And how is the TV connected to the source? It would help us diagnose your problem.

But it does sound like a signal problem. DVDs are 480i SD so play some of those and see if you see the same defects that you do when watching regular channels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i currently just have my cable running to my tv...i will get a digital cable box soon from Cox but im trying to figure out if its worth keeping this tv or not. Im just not sure if this is what happens to all plasma or maybe i picked a bad model or what but the picture is perfect on xbox games so im not so sure its the tv but then again i dont know that much about plasmas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What exactly is your source for SD? Antenna? Cable? DirecTV/Dish? Are they analog SD channels or digital SD channels? And how is the TV connected to the source? It would help us diagnose your problem.

i have cable and its just straight connected to the back of the tv.

But it does sound like a signal problem. DVDs are 480i SD so play some of those and see if you see the same defects that you do when watching regular channels.

if this is a signal problem, how can i fix it or optimize my tv? I have the latest firmware on it

·
Registered
473 Posts
Inform your cable company, sometimes the coax cable degrades over time, along with their transmission equipment. I know some people with the same cable company in different parts of the state/country have problems with their cable signal. Note also going from a CRT TV (36" or less) to an fixed pixel TV will show the warts of SD channels...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.