AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a JVC THM 603. I did some looking on the net and saw some good things. Then I found you guys and gals. I looked all through this forum and didn't see any JVC? This is my first HTiB. Any help? Anyone?

·
Registered
804 Posts
As far as sound goes you could do much much better. HTiB's offer convenience however and usually with built-in units such as the one you have now it sacrifices sound for convenience. Such as a high distortion rate, limited frequency response, one of the worst things is proprietary inputs, very few inputs from sources and even fewer digital inputs (some htibs don't even have digital inputs!).

So if your stuck getting an htib I and many other people would recommend one like a yamaha or onkyo. This way if you upgrade as far as speakers, or additional sources your fine. It does not have a dvd player, which is good, because they'll focus on sound not convenience. Also if you really want to do it right, you can get a separate receiver and speakers. So its really your move from here. Im sure you might enjoy this JVC, but realize there are much better pieces

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that I am not going to get a top of a line, as if I would do a separates. I have a small room 12 x 14 not a hole alot of space. I have to keep it simple my Wife is very "book smart" God love her but if there is more then 3 steps she gets lost. Any more info on HTiBs would be great.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Seperates dont start at "top of the line", they are "Adequete".

Once you get into the seperates world, you can start looking at "adequete","good", "excellent" and "top of the line"

The HTIB world, your looking at junk (meaning, not worth the extra complexity over the speakers in the TV), or adequete, or good ( but the goods are usually seperates in packages)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Seperates dont start at "top of the line", they are "Adequete".

Once you get into the seperates world, you can start looking at "adequete","good", "excellent" and "top of the line"
This is strictly a matter of opinion, albeit not a very relevant one, considering the quetion that was asked.

Quote:
The HTIB world, your looking at junk (meaning, not worth the extra complexity over the speakers in the TV), or adequete, or good ( but the goods are usually seperates in packages)
Again, another opinion.

I have a HTIB for my bedroom (PANASONIC HT-105), in addition to owning separates for my main listening/viewing room.

While the HTIB would indeed be considered "adequate" (neither my bedroom TV, nor my Cable Box has S-VID, nor COMP connections, and thus the HTIB lacks both as well), so should my main HT components be considered "adequate" as well, since they are not "top of the line" by your established logical.

Like the original poster, my Bedroom is small (about the same size as his), an thus not only are separates not convenient in size, they would be wholly unnecessary.........

It would be like trying to put your car in your hallway closet, knowing that you have a garage that fits it much better.

Contrary to what seems to be the popular opinion around here, HTIB's do very well serve their purpose.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Seperates has nothing to do with size, it has to do with choosing components that can survive in the marketplace on their own merits.

When they package units together to sell them as an HTIB, its often very cheaply made stuff that would never sell if marketed individually.

Main speakers: For example, with HTIBs, they often dont even have tweeters in the speakers, or if they do, they have 1st order crossovers that only cost a penny, but sound like crap.

Subwoofer: With HTIBs they often dont care about the frequency range of the main speakers, because they team it with a clunky subwoofer that makes up for it. This design choice give the subwoofer 3 jobs: subsonic frequencies, bass frequencies, + the higher mid-bass frequencies. Of course the subwoofer is usually a cheap POS, so it ends up not doing any of the jobs well.

Receiver: Look at the distortion rating on that JVC. A receiver with those specs would NEVER sell if marketed by itself. Buyers would ignore it, and the other receivers on the shelf would tease it without mercy.

Now if you bought seperates, the main speakers would have to survive in the marketplace on their own merits.... the subwoofer would have to sell on its merits, and the receiver has to be marketable too.

The seperates approach almost guarantees that none of the 3 areas will be crap.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
The seperates approach almost guarantees that none of the 3 areas will be crap.
that's a good point, i never looked at it that way, but you are right...

if you do find crap components, those are usually the components that get packaged together with something good, to put them on sale and make them more appealing. like the same crap JVC home theater speakers, that always get packaged together with the same good Yamaha receiver at Best Buy. those things would never sell on their own, they only sell when they're packaged together with something appealing, that's on sale...

·
Registered
804 Posts
BTW just because your going seperate does not mean it will be expensive, especially if you shop around. In fact sometimes a modest seperate system will outperform an htib which costs more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you to all that respond to this thread

I will be getting the jvc and see what it will do.

Yours truly

TiremanDan

·
Registered
804 Posts
Good luck tell us if you need any help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I went from a crap HTIB to an AWESOME seperates system that I got for a rediculously low price after a bit of shopping around. The more I listen to my new system, the stupider I feel for have wasting my money on the HTIB in the first place. :)

IMO, HTIB's are good if you have a very small room, and if you buy the cheaper, sub $200 systems. At that price and for close listening, you might get a decent value. But the more expensive systems are really not worth it.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
No offense, but of course you made a mistake. By conventional definition, HTIB = mistake. But then, most people's first system is a mistake, so don't feel too bad. I am worried that AVS actually bothered to justify HTIBs with a forum. I've never even been here, but the title alone, combined with the forum drew me in finally like a moth to a flame.

If the budget is tight, seek out used gear, in the newspaper, at local stores, at www.audiogon.com , etc.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
why even post that link? pretty much all of those auctions are for high end gear...

honestly, if you're looking for used, the used listings on this site are pretty good. at least here you get the chance to know the people, and know the gear. i would rather buy something used from someone here than XYZ, and have to worry about whether XYZ's trying to rip me off or not...

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I know that many appreciate their HTIBs. I did. I choose to think of it as equipment leasing with a small buy back. I started upgrading after 4 months, but I thoroughly enjoyed my 770 and it's pieces throughout the upgrade trail. From no HT to HTIB is very enjoyable. I certainly got $80 per month enjoyment. Some never get bitten and keep it for years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.