AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using Mainlobby on a Progear tablet to control the htpc via Girder and Slinke (for my components). I WAS using a CM11A defined in Slinkserv to control X10. In order to expand the capabilities of X10, I bought Homeseer but it won't share the cm11a with Slinkeserv so I'm stuck trying to figure out the best way to use the software/hardware. This is my initial configuration but adding the Homeseer complicates it because it doesn't like the open port caused by Slinke. I was controlling the pc thru Girder, IR devices with Slinke and X10 through the CM11A via Slinkserv.
http://terrywysocki.com/htpc01.gif

I'm thinking about going this way to allow Homeseer have the CM11A. It gets complicated because to do IR to X10 I'll have to put a Slinke emitter in front of my IR543 receiver and use have Slinkserv talk to Homeseer thru Slinkseer.
http://terrywysocki.com/htpc02.gif

This all seems ridiculously complicated. Maybe I should just get rid of Homeseer and control all my X10 with Girder/Slinke/Mainlobby? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Add another Cm11a....you will probably have to use a USB to Serial converter, or buy an additoinal serial port, but the Slink-e will recognize just about any serial ports, so that should be ok. Drew

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Send a Girder command from ML to invoke a .vbs file that controls a Homeseer event or device control. Plug the X10 com device into the Homeseer server (I now prefer the USB flavor instead of CM11A).

The Slinke can be operated by numerous devices at once. So a Homeseer event can trigger the slinke or Mainlobby directly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Send a Girder command from ML to invoke a .vbs file that controls a Homeseer event or device control
Can you give me an example of how this is done? I'm new to HS but I can't find any reference material that shows how to control HS with a vbs file.

I guess I could break down and get the USB version of the cm11a (since I'm out of serial ports) but it just seems like a patchy solution. Would the USB version be able to be shared between Slinke and HS or would I still get the "port already open" error?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
File name: "StudyRecessedLightsOff.vbs":

Set hs = WScript.CreateObject("Homeseer.Application")

hs.ExecX10 "A6", "off", 0, 0

Configure a button in MainLobby to run "StudyRecessedLightsOff" girder command.

When girder "hears" the above command, have Girder fire the StudyRecessedLightsOff.vbs file.

The .vbs file will then tell Homeseer to turn device A6 off (in the above example). The Homeseer Help file provides lots of other interface commands that can be exposed using the above.

We are still waiting for Mario's solution so that MainLobby can see the status of a device in Homeseer so that the ML button can be refreshed with the proper state.

Hope this helps.

David

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help! Now, it'd be really great if I could pass a string to girder (to PLD2) that Girder would pass to the VBS script to customize it before execution! I'm not sure how I could pass the script a parameter though.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
David,

Wouldn't it be easier to load the vbs script using MainLobby instead of Girder? It should save you a step of passing to Girder and then onto the VB script.

Also, it's been a while, but you should be able to pass variables to a vbs file from MainLobby.

I posted an example a while back when somebody else wanted to do this.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Homeseer is great, don't get rid of it. You can easily pass commands to homeseer thru a batch program.

Homeseer is incredibly simple an yet incredibly complex depending on your needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.