AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My college's main campus is HUGE 20 square city blocks, and they have a whole bunch of other campuses too including one in Japan. The most common speaker in the classrooms seems to be the JBL Control 28.

Here are the specs.

60 Hz to 16 kHz frequency range (-10 dB)

175 watts continuous program power capacity

92 dB sensitivity (1W/1m)

8 ohms nominal impedance

2.8 kHz crossover frequency

High-Impact Polystyrene (HIPS) enclosure

Spring-loaded input terminals

Dimensions (H x W x D): 15" x 11" x 8.6" (380 mm x280 mm x 220 mm)

Net Weight: 5.5 kg (12 lb)

In many of the theater type lounge areas they have much larger JBL Control 10s.

These have 12" woofers and had pretty good bass for music or television, but still not enough for movies though.

here's the description. JBL Control 10 Studio Monitors. A great 3 way, full range system that has many uses. Portable studios, Location recording, fixed installation, control room, A/V rooms, clubs and restaurants. The Control 10 makes an excellent foreground music or disco system for small to medium sizedclubs and halls and the systems high sensitivity, musical accuracy, forward voicing and wide dynamic range help cut through background noise providing exciting sound even in crowded environments. The 12" woofer, 5" midrange and 1" titanium dome are encased in a molded polystyrene case designed to be durable and to help with those bumps and scrapes if you are on the road. Molded handles and corner pads are included. They are designed as a mirror-imaged pair. Frequency response is 35Hz to 27kHz ( +-3db ) Shielded magnet structure. acoustically inert high impact enclosure. Lightweight.

Do you think my college made a mistake and they could have gotten way better speakers for the money than the JBL Control series that they have?

They must have spent millions if not tens of millions considering how many campuses and buildings they have.

·
Registered
467 Posts
In a classroom a speaker that rolls off the lows and highs might not be a bad idea, if lectures and not music is the purpose. Do they show movies in these theatre/lounge areas? They could always add subwoofers. Unless they're putting them in a theatre where people will be watching/listening to hi-fidelity sounds, I wouldn't concern myself with it. Most pro speakers don't have the same specifications as home speakers.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap /forum/post/0

In a classroom a speaker that rolls off the lows and highs might not be a bad idea, if lectures and not music is the purpose. Do they show movies in these theatre/lounge areas? They could always add subwoofers. Unless they're putting them in a theatre where people will be watching/listening to hi-fidelity sounds, I wouldn't concern myself with it. Most pro speakers don't have the same specifications as home speakers.

They only use the speakers for movies, powerpoint presentations, etc, and in the lounge areas it's usually for television.

Some teachers do use the speakers as well as in celing speakers for lectures when there are people with hearing conditions in the class. I also think they have some kind of wireless ear buds to help students with hearing problems or something. I'm film major so I watch a lot of movies and I wish they had better projectors and surround sound, but I have to settle for like VGA or SVGA projectors and stereo sound with JBL Control 28 or equal speakers

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
For that application, those are a good value and a good choice. Imaging and extended bass and treble aren't that important, but ruggedness, output, cost, and clarity are.

Here's a true confession: I have $35,000 worth of Triad speakers in my home, and the only other speakers I own are a single pair of JBL Control 1s in my exercise room that I got when I left Harman. A good speaker is one that is appropriate for the application, even though some forum members will pipe up and say they should have bought (insert personal fovorite brand).

·
Registered
We just moved, it's in shambles!
582 Posts
Seems like a fine choice for the purpose to me as well. We have similar speakers (the small Control 28s) in some rooms on our campus as well as some other speakers I've never been able to identify.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
IMO this is a perfectly reasonable choice. And they probably got a good deal if they have many of them. We just got some JBL monitors for one of our rooms - I was surprised how good they sound for the price we paid. I don't think I'd want them at home, but they work fine where they are. What would you have suggeted they buy and use?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd /forum/post/0

IMO this is a perfectly reasonable choice. And they probably got a good deal if they have many of them. We just got some JBL monitors for one of our rooms - I was surprised how good they sound for the price we paid. I don't think I'd want them at home, but they work fine where they are. What would you have suggeted they buy and use?

I would think something like the BIC Acoustech HT-75 Towers would be a good deal for classrooms as they don't cost that much more than the control JBL 28s and they have good enough bass that you may be able to get away without a sub.

They could have gootten the entire 5.1 Acoustech Systems for the lounge areas for not that much more than the JBL Control 10s.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White /forum/post/0

I would think something like the BIC Acoustech HT-75 Towers would be a good deal for classrooms as they don't cost that much more than the control JBL 28s and they have good enough bass that you may be able to get away without a sub.

They could have gootten the entire 5.1 Acoustech Systems for the lounge areas for not that much more than the JBL Control 10s.

What difference does it make? I'm sure hi fidelity is not their primary concern. They can raise your tuition to pay for them.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
As much as I don't prefer the JBL sound for quality listening at home, they have a VERY large and solid professional audio division and those speakers are good for the money. Commercial/installation audio is NOTHING like home audio......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.