AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just sitting on the ground with my Samsung fpt-5084. we just moved into a new place so I was looking at the OTA stations doing the auto program from my tv to see what station I get since directv hasn't put up my dish yet. The tv is on the carpet hookeddirectly into my ant.

it was on channel 60 something of the auto program air and it just went black... there was no shutdown noise like I'm used to. no clicking or indication thatit died except that its now blank.

I've tried the remote power, the power button on the set. i've unplugged it and even changed it'S slot in the surge protector.

I bought it new in Oct of 2008.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Did you try plugging other things into the same electrical outlet (to make sure it's still feeding power) or bypassing the surge protector? If so then it sounds like the power supply on the tv went out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it ended up being the power supply and the main board. Samsung took so long to remedy this problem. but then they goofed up and sent me a new 650 after the tech fixed my 5084. bummer it took 2 months to fix and replace. unfulfilled apointments etc. very bad customer service. but with the 2 year warranty, it cost me $0 so in the end it all worked out, just took forever.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by datapusher /forum/post/15462958

Was just sitting on the ground with my Samsung fpt-5084. we just moved into a new place so I was looking at the OTA stations doing the auto program from my tv to see what station I get since directv hasn't put up my dish yet. The tv is on the carpet hookeddirectly into my ant.

it was on channel 60 something of the auto program air and it just went black... there was no shutdown noise like I'm used to. no clicking or indication thatit died except that its now blank.

I've tried the remote power, the power button on the set. i've unplugged it and even changed it'S slot in the surge protector.

I bought it new in Oct of 2008.

The fact that it happened when you set it up in your new abode makes me wonder about the quality of your ac line.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchtime /forum/post/15891505

The fact that it happened when you set it up in your new abode makes me wonder about the quality of your ac line.

Well my lights always flicker.

I have a tripplite UPC w/ voltage regulator I picked up from Costco. it tells me my normal voltage is between 118 and 123.

When someone turns on the microwave in the kitchen, my voltage drops to 114. Crazy.

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armin_t /forum/post/15911182

I have a tripplite UPC w/ voltage regulator I picked up from Costco. it tells me my normal voltage is between 118 and 123.

When someone turns on the microwave in the kitchen, my voltage drops to 114. Crazy.

You have too much stuff loaded onto one breaker and possibly just insufficient amperage for your whole household. You would be much better served taking care of your electrical stability first rather than adding voltage regulators or any other gadgets. You need to get into your electrical panel and see if you have just 1 breaker loaded up or are all of your breakers overloaded. I would place a lot of importance on this if your lights flicker quite often.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armin_t /forum/post/15911182

Sounds like poor wiring. You may have legal rights as a renter for your safety.

In the mean time you should find an outlet on a less used circuit for your TV.

Your microwave should be on it's own breaker for the high current draw. I hope you don't have aluminum wiring rather than copper. You should also spend $5.00

at a home store for a plug in circuit tester.

Unless you correct this you will have more problems. If you still end up with voltage swings, I believe an APS Smart UPS back up with sinewave output

is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Looking back, it appears you ended up with (BOTH???) a Samsung FPT-5084 Plasma HDTV and a new Samsung "650" (whatever that is). Although HDTV has multiple HDMI INPUTS, it does not have any HDMI OUTPUTS for connection to Yamaha HTR-4065 AV Receiver.

Digital Audio (Optical) OUTPUT on HDTV connects to Yamaha HTR-4065 AV Receiver so you can listen to SURROUND Sound, when provided in (some) programs you watch via the HDTV's OTA ATSC Tuner....or via Cable Coax connection if that's what you use.

YOU have the power to either annoy your neighbor....or keep the sound level...and esp., the BASS level down...it can't help but be better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts