AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm. I just went to visit the JVC D'Ahlia page http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD4209300

Unless I'm mistaken, they've cranked the MSRP up again. It's now $12,995. Wasn't it just recently $9995, up from $6500 (when it was the -901)?

What the heck? Maybe I'm wrong. Unfortunately, I hadn't saved off a copy of the page; just the link.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

[This message has been edited by JustMike (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
226 Posts
You recently posted that you were going to head over to Sacramento to look at this set. Did you go? And? I'm curious even though I probably won't spend over $5K for a RPTV this fall.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks all! Okay, I'm somewhat reassured. I've seen it listed at $9999 at a bunch of places, but I guess maybe JVC's "official" price was always $12k+.

I have not yet made it to Sacramento to check out the set. Two factors contributing: I'm very busy at work, and I'm waiting to see Gary Merson's review in TPV, which is due any day now. Assuming he doesn't just bash the set, I'll head either to Sacramento or to LA to have a look.

rashid, yes, this is the set with DVI/HDCP. I respect your opinion, but I don't share it. If I'm going to lay out $8k for an HDTV, I want one that's as future-proof as possible. Since DirecTV, Dish and Cable Labs have all said they'll be adding DVI connectors, this seems like the right set to get. Encryption aside, a digital connection is a Good Idea(tm).

I've read as much information as I've been able to find about DVI/HDCP and 1394/5C/DTCP, and to me (I'm an engineer), the DVI connector seems to make the most sense for a display device. The DTCP adopter's agreement says clearly that HD analog output is permitted, depending upon the content flags in the programming, so I'm hopeful that, at least for the five years or so, future STBs will have both digital connectors and analog connectors for people who've already made their purchases, and the studios will be very sparing with the Constrained Image and Copy Protection tokens so as not to generate a backlash. Time will tell.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure in general. However, the company with the D'Ahlia is called "Filco". They have two stores, and it's the one on Fulton that has the set. Tim is the person I've spoken to on the phone.

Like I said, I haven't been there yet, so I don't know what else they have or the care with which it's all set up. But, you're a lot closer than I am. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Mike Kobb

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
"you're a lot closer than I am. " Yeah more than you thought. I used to live two blocks from this store, do not recall them as a top HT store-no dedicated HT room, all cramped on the floor.

They were the first to carry the Panasonic 55" RPTV when the list price was $6,999! three years ago. May be it's time to pay them a visit.

[This message has been edited by jacmyoung (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, apparently there's no such thing as a "top HT store" on the West Coast that carries this thing. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif The store in LA is also more of a general shop than a dedicated HT store.

Anyway, if you go, let us know!

------------------

Mike Kobb

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mike,

I called JVC about the official D'ahlia pricing as it was just coming out. They told me $12,995 at that point (Feb? March? I forget). My dealer and most websites indicated $9995 or so both at that time and mostly since.

For whatever it's worth. . .

M

·
Registered
651 Posts
Isn't it the set with DVI/HDCP ? You'd

be doing great disservice to all of us,

and yourself, by buying something like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.