AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I finally set up my surround sound, I am experiencing a strange new phenomenon. I am finding myself focusing on the center speaker. As in, my mind is processing the fact that the voices are coming from the box right below the TV rather than the people ON the TV. I have never felt that before?

Does anyone else remember feeling that before? Or is this a product of inexpensive speakers or a bad set up? Just curious.

·
Registered
30,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/19647377

So now that I finally set up my surround sound, I am experiencing a strange new phenomenon. I am finding myself focusing on the center speaker. As in, my mind is processing the fact that the voices are coming from the box right below the TV rather than the people ON the TV. I have never felt that before?

Does anyone else remember feeling that before? Or is this a product of inexpensive speakers or a bad set up? Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/19648163

The front and left are on either side of the TV, so not very far apart. Wouldn't be easy to move them further apart but would this fact be the problem?

Should we assume that the center speaker is below the TV? If so, that is the issue. It should not be on the floor but as close to the level of the L/R as possible. If it is below, then it must be aimed at the listener. Finally, be extremely careful with the level and distance settings.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19648276

Should we assume that the center speaker is below the TV? If so, that is the issue. It should not be on the floor but as close to the level of the L/R as possible. If it is below, then it must be aimed at the listener. Finally, be extremely careful with the level and distance settings.

Thanks. The center is indeed below the TV but it isn't on the floor. I ended up mounting the TV on the wall and placing the center on the console that the TV formerly occupied. The console is 24" high, which puts it not too far below ear level. I can point it to me but will likely have to invent a solution.

·
Registered
30,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/19648316

Thanks. The center is indeed below the TV but it isn't on the floor. I ended up mounting the TV on the wall and placing the center on the console that the TV formerly occupied. The console is 24" high, which puts it not too far below ear level. I can point it to me but will likely have to invent a solution.

And how do you set your level/distance/bass management?

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/19648564

I have a Pioneer Elite and use MCAAC (?) to program speaker distance and such. I am not qualified to tweak it manually so I use full auto mode.

Well, the auto-calibration is not perfect. If I were you, I'd go to Radio Shack or wherever and buy a SPL meter to calibrate the speaker levels. You want to sit at your listening position and set each speaker to the same level at the listening position. I, along with others, use 75dB as the level to calibrate it to. Once you have done this, you will get a nice blend across your speakers, but you will still get voice from the center as that is the purpose of that speaker most of the time. But if it is too loud then, it may sound overbearing versus the left & right speakers.

·
Banned
574 Posts
I never have such issues. My center speaker sits directly on top of my console which is like yours-24" tall. Perhaps your center channel is cranked up a few db's above what your L/R speakers are so its standing out. Try bumping down the center channel level a couple of notches manually after your Pioneer auto setup runs. Maybe it will give you a more balanced sound across all 3 front speakers. Maybe toe in you L/R speakers a little.

Try some different ways to see if it helps. HT setup can be frustrating at times.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help. I will try these when I get home. Also, I am guessing there are instruction for calibrating with an SPL meter somewhere. And that the reference to 75db is to be read from the meter, not the receiver calibration system.

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/19648764

Thanks for the help. I will try these when I get home. Also, I am guessing there are instruction for calibrating with an SPL meter somewhere. And that the reference to 75db is to be read from the meter, not the receiver calibration system.

What brand of speakers are you using anyway? Are they all from the same manufacturer?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, I am using Martin Logan speakers; the motion series to be precise. I know some people aren't crazy about them but I really like the sound.

BTW, I tried some of the tweaks that were mentioned yesterday and think I got it closer to what I like. I didn't buy a meter but turned down the volume on the center a smidge and I think it sounds better.

And as a follow up, I am wondering what I can do about the sound stage in general (being as my fronts are only about 4 feet apart (and I am about 8-10 feet from the TV). I mentioned that moving them further apart wouldn't be easy but this morning a ran across a comment where someone indicated that they actually toed OUT their front speakers to improve (increase?) their sound stage.

Does that seem like something that would work? I haven't tried it but I am curious what people think.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/19651729

Hey guys, I am using Martin Logan speakers; the motion series to be precise. I know some people aren't crazy about them but I really like the sound.

BTW, I tried some of the tweaks that were mentioned yesterday and think I got it closer to what I like. I didn't buy a meter but turned down the volume on the center a smidge and I think it sounds better.

And as a follow up, I am wondering what I can do about the sound stage in general (being as my fronts are only about 4 feet apart (and I am about 8-10 feet from the TV). I mentioned that moving them further apart wouldn't be easy but this morning a ran across a comment where someone indicated that they actually toed OUT their front speakers to improve (increase?) their sound stage.

Does that seem like something that would work? I haven't tried it but I am curious what people think.

Since higher frequency sound is directional versus low frequency sound, you will lose sound quality/clarity by toe-ing them out. I wouldn't recommend it, but rather trying to move them out as far as you can.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts