Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First post here - thanks for the great wealth of information. I can't decide between a 50" or 42"/43" plasma. My viewing distance is only 7.5" (straight line from the screen to my eyes).

My girfriend and I visited Tweeter last night in San Diego, and while I definitely wouldn't want to be any closer than 7.5" feet while viewing the 50", it was too close for my girlfriend (her opinion only -partially- matters in this decision. :/). We were viewing DVD content.

I think the 50" would be ideal for computer use (easier to read) and gaming, but those two activities will probably only be 20% of the use. And I'll probably use it 30% of the time on general broadcast content (low quality). Other 50% HDTV and DVD.

Did anyone regret buying a 50" because it is too big for the allowed viewing distance?

Just FYI, I've narrowed down my search to (all HD):

42" = Panasonic TH-42PHD5U (~$4,900)

43" = Pioneer 433CMX (~$4,200)

50" = Pioneer 503CMX (~$6,100)

The 50" is within budget, but I'd obviously prefer to spend less if I'd be happier with the 42"/43".

Thanks for any tips,

Steve

·
Registered
780 Posts
You mention that 30% of your viewing will be "general broadcast content". Therefore, I would suggest that the 42/43" should be given serious consideration at you proposed viewing distance of 7.5 feet.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Can you say "too big" and "plasma" in the same sentence?

It's definately too big for SD material, but then again so is a 32" :).

·
Registered
772 Posts
Was in the same boat but the fear of regretting not getting a 50" when you could have is what eventually got me to settle on a 50".

MMAfia

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
My viewing distance is 8' -- only 6 inches farther than you are talking about -- and I know that I personally would not be happy with a 42/43" monitor. I ended up with a 503cmx (for around $9000, since I bought it about 6 months ago), and my family and I love it. I watch mostly standard definition over TWC (analog for the lower channels like the broadcast networks and digital for the others), and I find the quality when watching those channels (expecially the digital ones) to be perfectly fine. Of course, when I watch DVDs, the PQ is much better, and occassionally I watch TWC HD, and that is really incredible (though not as good as OTA HD in my opinion).

Why does your girlfriend prefer the smaller size? Is it an aesthetic thing about size of the monitor in the room, or is it a PQ question about field of vision or resolution?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
asinshesq, it's not the room aesthetics, but I think she felt like she had to "scan" the monitor with her eyes to see the whole picture, whereas with the 42/43"s you can see the whole picture at once.

So, MonkeyMafia, are you happy you got the 50"? What's your viewing distance?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My research on the web indicates that the minimum viewing distance for any widescreen TV - plasma or otherwise - should be the diagnal screen size divided by .4 (or 10' for 50" and 8' for 42"). Any closer would make the picture overwhelming. That being said, it is a personal decision, as people in this thread have indicated satisfaction with viewing within the above recommended minimums.

From my personal experience, I have a 56" RPTV for which I am 10' from the screen. I find this too close and will be swapping it for a 50" Panny.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My research on the web indicates that the minimum viewing distance for any widescreen TV - plasma or otherwise - should be the diagnal screen size divided by .4 (or 10' for 50" and 8' for 42"). Any closer would make the picture overwhelming. That being said, it is a personal decision, as people in this thread have indicated satisfaction with viewing within the above recommended minimums.

From my personal experience, I have a 56" RPTV for which I am 10' from the screen. I find this too close and will be swapping it for a 50" Panny.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Siverson: That is a huge problem for me, personally, when the screen is too big. It is such a dealbreaker for me that I couldn't imagine dealing with the "scanning". Respect the opinion in this case, I believe.

Also, consider seriously the SD Panny and save some more dough.

·
Registered
772 Posts
i'm juuuust about to pull the trigger....

but when i get the new setup, i'll definitely be comparing it to the sampo34.

that'll be a good one. a good direct-view set vs. a good plasma unit. htpc comparo between the two is a must :cool:

MMAfia

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Im sitting 7ft away and noticed in the store screen door effect on sd panny 42.Im going with the higher resolution pioneer 433cmx which even at 3ft All I could see was that beautiful picture

·
Registered
360 Posts
siverson,

You could just get a bigger room.:)

Eight feet away from our 50" Pioneer the wife was happy, but I was experiencing something like your girlfriend mentioned about having to scan the monitor to get the whole picture, especially during action sequences. At 10' I was a lot happier, and the wife is OK with it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
An aside, here - don't we usually wind up "scanning" the picture when in a full sized movie theatre? I don't think I can view the whole picture at once.

...mike

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Its the same thing as some folks like to sit near the front row of seats and others prefer the back rows of seats in a movie theatre.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I really considered a larger model (50" instead of 42") but the screen size of a 50" would have been just too large for the space. I'm happy that I was conservative.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey you guys all misread Steve's first paragraph:

"My viewing distance is only 7.5" (straight line from the screen to my eyes). "

So Steve is actually sitting 7.5 inches from a 50 inch screen. Not surprising his girlfriend complains.

According to Major Havoc's math, Steve should probably go for a 4 inch screen for that viewing distance. I believe they are very cheap these days. :D

y

·
Registered
869 Posts
LOL!!

Seriously, this all depends on if it will be possible down the road for you to move the seating, or even the entire room where your distance will be further away. In that case the 50" will give you options, consider the fact that you WILL get used to a 50" if you bought one even at 7.5ft (it is feet & not inches, right).

In my case I'm 12ft or so away, I bought the 42" SD Panny, mostly for Price & Room asthetics. Being so far away I don't see the "screen door" effect of the SD model, but at 6-8ft it becomes noticable. If you go with the 42" Panny I would go with the HD model. My personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Tweeter said they'd do a side by side comparison for me to see the HD Panny vs ED Panny.

Castaway DVD, SD material, and HDNET.

3 sales dudes we talking to me and Bro, and gave me a preface and said I'd probably think of a better use for $2000.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have the Panny 40" PT40LC12. The closest possible distance for me

seems to be 7.5 feet or 2.25 times the diagonal. Closer and I see the screen door. However, for true native 720p material, such as the

ABC sitcoms, 7.5 feet is catually just fine, as is anything out

to 9 or 10 feet. At 11 I begin to lose resolution.

Now, if one had a 1080x1920 LCD, DLP or Plasma set, at full resolution (and currently nobody is transmitting anything at true full resolution), you could sit closer, by a factor of 1.5, or 1.5 times the diagonal. This would be

a true big screen experience.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.