AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. Why or why not did you purchase an extended warranty? I'm ready to buy my first so curious to hear opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I never purchase extended warranties on anything. By definition, on average they are a losing game. IMHO you should insure only those things where loss would be life-changingly catastrophic.

OTOH, since these are how many businesses make profit, please buy one so that they don't have to start building more profit into retail pricing!

·
Registered
23 Posts

I worked in a camera shop, and we made a huge profit on the warranties. But basically nobody ever went through and put in a claim. If you know that you would use it if it came up, then go for it. If not, save your money. They really bank on if it fails, that it will happen in the first year and be the manufacturer's problem, or that it won't happen at all (at least until after 3 years).

·
Registered
9 Posts

Warranties are just means to get more money out of your pocket, HUGE profits for those who sell warranties.  My german car mechanic who only works on high end german cars, laughs at the motion of warranties.  It gives people a false sense of security and thats why people fall for them.  In my opinion, "Warranties" are not needed, it provides a false sense of security and its money not well invested.  Put that extra warranty in your savings, cd account and have it earn interest, you'll get better results! 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts