AVS Forum banner

Did you return your PZ77U for a PZ700U?

• No, I kept the PZ77U. Why would I return it?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I feel the PZ700U is a superior display.

• No, I actually returned the PZ700U for the PZ77U.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get a more accurate look at how many actually returned their PZ77U's for PZ700U's. The PZ77U Buyers Remorse thread implies that there has been mass returns, when reality may show that it has been four or five people. I recall reading that a forum member returned his PZ77U before he even took it out of the box, due in no small part to these forums. I am also including an option for those who returned their PZ700U for a PZ77U.

It seems like everytime a new member asks a question about the PZ77U the same four or five people chime in and tell him not to buy it. They always end up being a very vocal minority. So, hopefully we can get a more clear picture with this poll. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I did NOT return my 77U for a 700U. I already own 2 other plasmas with similar screen coatings to the 700U so I knew from the beginning I was looking for an alternative that would solve my daytime glare issue. The 77U came along just about the time I was about to give up and go lcd...I got the 77U instead and have no regrets. This forum does have the power to sway opinions and make people see things they otherwise wouldn't...there is a difference between the PQ of the 77U and 700U but to my eyes it is very slight and only noticeable if you look at them together.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes...I did return the 77U in favor of the 700U...BUT your poll is somewhat misleading...the 77U and 700U are both excellent, just different...originally, I bought the 77U, concerned with glare/reflections from side windows...the 77U was outstanding in this regard - zero glare/reflections - but the AG screen did seem to affect PQ - the TV had a more matte or LCD-like image versus the plasma image that I was looking for...the 77U had a crisp clean picture - just not the "pop" factor that I desired.

The 700U is beautiful as well...the 700U anti-reflective screen does a surprisingly good job of reducing glare and reflection...I'm pleased to say that glare is pretty much a non-issue even with my windows and french doors...the 700U screen is slightly more lively than the 77U...therefore, it gives a little more "pop"...so, in the end, my eyes prefer 700U.

It's not a case of superior...just a case of personal preference and possible glare/reflection impact due to the viewing enviroment...although, the 700U does have superior speakers, improving the audio versus the 77U.

Both the 77U and 700U are very well made HDTV's...Nice Job, Panasonic!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nope, didn't return mine and loving it! Both are outstanding sets

And I would have thought the 700U vs 77U thread would have already nailed the point home that the 77U is a great set....since it has a decent lead

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderRodney /forum/post/12928631

Nope, didn't return mine and loving it! Both are outstanding sets

And I would have thought the 700U vs 77U thread would have already nailed the point home that the 77U is a great set....since it has a decent lead

Apparently that isn't the case. I see FUD all over the place regarding this display. Some claimed that the PZ77 exhibited black crush where the PZ700 didn't...false. People have claimed the PZ77U has a lower CR when in fact the it has been both rated and tested higher than the PZ700U. There is such a thin line between the PZ700U and the PZ77U in PQ, yet the consensus seems to show that for some reason the PQ on one is leaps and bounds better than the other. According to reviews and owners, it's just not true.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
omelet,

I don't know what you just said, becuse you are on my ignor list. But as far as I know you hate Panisonics, don't own a Panasonic and have no business posting or voting in this thread.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DPowers you are popping up in different threads saying there is no difference to other forum users...There are many post from different users saying the PQ's are the same...They maybe same rated contrast but the PQ is diff plain and simple...Real time consumer are going by what they see and not what they read...

·
Registered
216 Posts
DPowers...with all due respect, do you have a bout of Buyers Remorse?

If you are lovin' your 77U then Rock On!...there should be no issue...I simply shared a personal experience with those who may or may not benefit from my experience.

Gain knowledge through research and education...filter what you deem relevant or not...apply this new found wisdom to your life experience.

No need to prove that I was flawed in exchanging my 77U for a 700U nor are you flawed by keeping your 77U...Welcome to the Freedom of Choice...it is the beauty of being an American consumer.

I am very pleased with my Panasonic TH-50PZ700U...are you pleased with your 77U?...I'm at peace with my decision and fullin' diggin' the plasma experience...in part by gaining knowledge from this forum...it was somewhat reassuring that I was not the only one to see the effects (neither negative nor positive - just that exist) of the 77U AG screen...it helped in my evaluation, thought processes and ultimate decision...reasonable, no?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Am I the only one that returned a 700 for a 77
anyway both are great TVs just different. With there own strengths and weaknesses (no TV is perfect)

I have tried more then one TV LOL (9 in the last year) I love the PDPs color, gray-scale, real life CR, great shadow detail and so on BUT I do not live in a cave and sometimes I read or use my computer or even watch TV during the day without "blackout" blinds, I know the horror
Does the 700 have slightly more depth in a light controlled environment, yup does the screen get washed out with light, yup.

The 77u is the first and only PDP I have tried that a could watch in the day time or use my computer or read and not have the PQ wash out and/or have reflections. The trade off was well worth any slight loss in dark room PQ.

If I had a dedicated theater room then my I would most likely made a different decision, but I bet I would not have gotten either one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
700U is "clearly superior" to the 77U "unless" you watch tv with windows open and light reflects off the screen. With a lower lit/non-reflecting situation, the 700U is much better. It is smoother, less grainy, gorgeous colors, and basically everything about it is superior. I returned both sets, however
...not pleased with either though I'm considering going back to get the Panasonic in spite my qualms about the pq...it's still a nice flat screen with a fine enough picture. No Kuro by any means, but at $800 less for me after the discount I got, it's $800 more in my pocket and I can sell it for the price I paid in time when the Kuros come down in price or to fund the 9G Kuro...or even an 11G Panasonic

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN1212 /forum/post/12934514

If you are lovin' your 77U then Rock On!...there should be no issue...I simply shared a personal experience with those who may or may not benefit from my experience.

Gain knowledge through research and education...filter what you deem relevant or not...apply this new found wisdom to your life experience.

No need to prove that I was flawed in exchanging my 77U for a 700U nor are you flawed by keeping your 77U...Welcome to the Freedom of Choice...it is the beauty of being an American consumer.

I am very pleased with my Panasonic TH-50PZ700U...are you pleased with your 77U?...I'm at peace with my decision and fullin' diggin' the plasma experience...in part by gaining knowledge from this forum...it was somewhat reassuring that I was not the only one to see the effects (neither negative nor positive - just that exist) of the 77U AG screen...it helped in my evaluation, thought processes and ultimate decision...reasonable, no?

This is not about remorse. It is about curiousity. Everytime someone asks about the differences in these two displays, someone chimes in and says "don't waste your time, the PZ700 is clearly superior". You might see me pop up in other threads when someone makes claims what I feel are inaccurate, but I will never say one display is superior to another. I have always believed that each one fits a purpose and have slight differences. I have seen others (like the comment above) say that one is vastly different than the other. Clearly I enjoy mine, but I know I would have been just as happy with the PZ700 had my lighting situation been different.

I would like to get a better idea as to who has kept their display and who has returned it. It gives us a bit more accurate view than the buyers remorse thread. I could be surprised, and see that many more returned the PZ77U than I thought. It is what it is.

Anyway guys, thanks for the input

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioexcels /forum/post/12935424

700U is "clearly superior" to the 77U "unless" you watch tv with windows open and light reflects off the screen. With a lower lit/non-reflecting situation, the 700U is much better. It is smoother, less grainy, gorgeous colors, and basically everything about it is superior. I returned both sets, however
...not pleased with either though I'm considering going back to get the Panasonic in spite my qualms about the pq...it's still a nice flat screen with a fine enough picture. No Kuro by any means, but at $800 less for me after the discount I got, it's $800 more in my pocket and I can sell it for the price I paid in time when the Kuros come down in price or to fund the 9G Kuro...or even an 11G Panasonic

Are you talking about a 4277u for $800 less than a 5080?

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN1212 /forum/post/12934514

i would say he's just trying to balance out the z700 lunatics who actually claim insane night/day differences in every single thread where the Z77U is mentioned. i've read your posts and they are level headed with great observations and fair opinions, but unfortunately, not everyone's posts are like that. indeed, a (few) poster(s) originally posted about how upset they were at panasonic for releasing new models so soon after they picked up their z700. they continued to be involved in much of the Z77U discussions and as time went on, their posts took a decidedly one sided, all or nothing stance... talk about buyer's remorse. these extreme exaggerations went on unanswered for some time until recently, some Z77U owners are calling their bluff.

as you can see from my join date, i'm not entirely new to or unfamiliar with these forums (i had even been lurking under a different alias for two years before signing up with this id). suffice it to say, over the years i've seen a lot of half-truths and biased opinion get posted here as fact and you'd be sorely mistaken if you think everyone, especially the newer members and casual browsers, are able to see through the bull. those who make these posts are doing this community a disservice by misleading the readers looking for honest objective information. at the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there are also those who appear to have an axe to grind and it is in response that you see posts like dpower's--just trying to balance out some of the misleading "facts."

·
Registered
31 Posts
I purchased the 77U and love it, I checked out the 700 but really did not see a noticeable improvement, especially for the jump in price. (Up here in Canada it is a big jump).

Maybe the 700 is better than the 77, maybe the 77 is better than the 700, what it comes down to is the user, and everyone needs to do some research, watch both TV's and then make their own decision. For me I loved everything about the 77U and as such I bought it, I still love my set and would not exchange.

Cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Several people already have said it and I myself may have said too.

There is no difference in picture quality. I compared the picture quality with my trusty PX60U from last year (which has better contrast ration than 700U). During last week's playoff games, the difference was absolutely non existent. As a matter of fact GB/Giants game looked much better on PZ77U than my PX60U. Color was livelier on 77U. So after reading all the back and forth posts here my eyes finally did the final test. Needless to say this forum does have power to sway people's mind. The perceived graininess can be observed only when standing 2 feet away from the screen. Now who watches TV that close? If you are using it as a monitor than an LCD will be a better choice. Hey, now I see graininess in my Vizio too! And that never even happened before. So there is a lot going on psychologically as well I believe.

My suggestion is not to get too much swayed by user's opinion on one set or the other. Especially about AG coating and graininess. Sometimes knowledge is not a good thing. Long time ago I read this story about this guy who got hold of a medical diagnosis book. After reading it he started to find symptoms in his body indicating that he has serious illness. In reality, it was his mind that was playing tricks. Let's not get tricked by our mind too.

Both are fabulous sets and both can give hours of enjoyment. I kept mine and enjoying it thoroughly.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mislam /forum/post/12938123

My suggestion is not to get too much swayed by user's opinion on one set or the other. Especially about AG coating and graininess. Sometimes knowledge is not a good thing. Long time ago I read this story about this guy who got hold of a medical diagnosis book. After reading it he started to find symptoms in his body indicating that he has serious illness. In reality, it was his mind that was playing tricks. Let's not get tricked by our mind too.

Both are fabulous sets and both can give hours of enjoyment. I kept mine and enjoying it thoroughly.

I'm not going to say there is absolutely no difference between the 77U and 700U when it comes to PQ but people have to understand that both use the same panel/video processing so any difference in what you see is due to the screen coating. Personally I couldn't tell much difference in any store...but none of them had the 77U and 700U side by side so it was hard to compare. Your advice above is good....ignorance is bliss sometimes.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/12938217

I'm not going to say there is absolutely no difference between the 77U and 700U when it comes to PQ but people have to understand that both use the same panel/video processing so any difference in what you see is due to the screen coating. Personally I couldn't tell much difference in any store...but none of them had the 77U and 700U side by side so it was hard to compare. Your advice above is good....ignorance is bliss sometimes.

I should had made it clear, my comparisons were made against my existing PX60U unit which already has higher contrast ratio and superb picture. So I am not saying there is no picture quality difference between 77u and 700u, since I have not personally compared those two.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ok let me throw a little wrench into this debate....

I currently have the 42PX77U ( well actually Costco's version which the the 42PC77U ) which is 720P, and Im currently thinking of going to the 42PZ700U which is 1080P. Will I THEN notice a satisfying difference?

This 42 TV is about 5-6ft away from my chair. It's a small rectangular office den that I used to get away from my nagging but semi attractive wife.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts